composing midi music in pro tools - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

composing midi music in pro tools

i have not done this yet but need to. i want strings and piano in some of my tunes and have used cakewalk in the past, connected to my E-MU rack units for sampled orchestra instruments. my digi 002 rack has midi in / out and you can program / compose, so i thought i read, in pro tools? this would be outstanding if it was true! i could write and record in the same program. if not, i would have to invest in the newer version of cakewalk (since i haven't used it in years and the one i have is old), then import that stereo wav to pro tools. have any of you done it? not really looking for step by step, unless you want to provide it, just basically, have you done it? to recap, i would like to compose the orchestra lines via midi in pro tools then play along to it with guitar / drums, etc. thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Re: composing midi music in pro tools

not completely sure on your question but i'll try to answer in what i think your asking, yes you can record midi data in pro tools, either by playing a midi keyboard, or actually typing in the data. to do so, make a new 'intrument' track, and in the inserts put in a plugin of your choice such as xpand or structure. if your playing a midi keyboard, you need to go to the peripherals and select your keyboard there. i hope this helps, if not try rephrasing the question and i'll do my best to answer
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

when i was composing for strings / piano / orchestra stuff, I used to connect my E-Mu rack units filled with the sampled sounds, to my pc via a midi card. I would compose via cakewalk, which had the staffature (sp?) for composing. I would write for all the instruments via cakewalk, dropping the notes in the staff lines. To make a CD of my work (no guitars recorded), I would connect stereo left and right out from the rack unit into my DAT machine and press play within cakewalk, then import that DAT file to the pc for burning to CD.

Since cakewalk more than likely has to be updated and I would also like to not use 2 apps (pro tools and cakewalk) for recording, I was wondering if I could compose in pro tools. I have not seen the midi in pro tools yet. I'm hoping it's not just a bunch of dots dropped on a screen or something cryptic. I was hoping to be able to open a midi timeline in pro tools and see the staff lines / sheet music for composing. If I have that, I can connect the E-Mu rack unit to the 002 rack, compose for instruments, then record guitar and drums on the other tracks in pro tools. I have a feeling this can be done, since pro tools says it can now be used for composing for film.

hope this helps and thank you!
Steve
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM

There is some kind of score type feature on PT 8.

Go on youtube or do a search on google for Pro Tools 8 Score editor or Scoring on Pro Tools. Look for reivews especially to see if its for you.

Check this link
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...music-creation
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks i'll check it out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode