Compression pedal and a noise gate. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Compression pedal and a noise gate.

Interested in a compression pedal and a noise gate for my half-stack, but there are a ton on the market.

Compression pedal: I always hear they are really good for clean tones. What about in a hi-gain setting, will I notice much of a difference, as there is a lot of compression going on there already?

Also, I understand they add some hiss. I already use a Boss tuner pedal and a Boss Chorus Ensemble that is causing unwanted noise so I am thinking of a pedal for that, probably an ISP Decimator G-string. If I was to get a compression pedal, I want to be able to leave it on all the time as I don't want to have to turn it on/off everytime I switch from clean to distortion. The ISP i'm pretty sure about but compressors I have never really used.

Any advice/suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Re: Compression pedal and a noise gate.

what amp are you using and other pedals? Are you having this problem on only one guitar or multiple axes? I have both of those boss pedals and they shouldn't be causing a hiss..especially a tuner. I bought a noise reducer once but I didn't like it much. After properly re-arranging my pedals I found I didn't even need a noise reducer. I have a comp pedal but find I rarely use it especially when playing on a high gain setting. If anything I will use it for solos on a plexi type gain. If I'm playing high gain I might actually kick on the chorus during a solo instead or engage my amps boost. With lots of gain comps can get squirrely if you are standing closer to the amp.

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 11-27-2012 at 08:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I have a Hughes & Kettner Tube 100 through a Trace Elliot 4x12 and I'm only using the Boss tuner and chorus pedal, nothing else. Having the same problem with either guitar I use. All my cables are good quality, new Monster Pro-Links. I didn't think I should be having this problem either since I don't have a lot of pedals, but I couldn't figure out why this weekend. Its not feeding back, but enough annoying hum that I put it on standby when not playing. And I plugged straight into my head, no pedals, and there was no hum, even with it cranked up, so it can't be my head or guitars. The pedals have hardly been used either. So I don't really know what the deal is. Might go back through my cable again, but other than that?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 120

How are you powering your pedals? If you are using a wall-wart there is a possibility for noise that way. If the power point is on a circuit that is shared with, say your refrigerator you can get noise. Some lights can cause issues too.

If you are trying to quiet down noisy pedals in front of your amp definitely try an MXR Noise Clamp. I love mine. It creates a loop for the pedals in front of your amp, and uses the bypassed signal from your guitar to your amp to determine what the signal should be like and works from there.

Compressors will make your signal noisy too. remember they are bumping up the low signal, so any background noise will become more prominent. If you want to save some cash and are happy to do some modifications yourself a Boss CS-3 is great value with some capacitor changes and a few other components. For a few $$$ of parts you can turn it into a boutique quality pedal.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILTHnFEAR View Post
I have a Hughes & Kettner Tube 100 through a Trace Elliot 4x12 and I'm only using the Boss tuner and chorus pedal, nothing else. Having the same problem with either guitar I use. All my cables are good quality, new Monster Pro-Links. I didn't think I should be having this problem either since I don't have a lot of pedals, but I couldn't figure out why this weekend. Its not feeding back, but enough annoying hum that I put it on standby when not playing. And I plugged straight into my head, no pedals, and there was no hum, even with it cranked up, so it can't be my head or guitars. The pedals have hardly been used either. So I don't really know what the deal is. Might go back through my cable again, but other than that?
are you running both the tuner and chorus in the loop? I run the tuner in front of the amp and the chorus in the loop...other than that I'd agree with phantom that it might be the power, but Boss is a pretty standard 9v, never had a problem powering a Boss pedal and getting noise
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 AM

Rocktron Hush! gotta try it..may solve all your problems (with noise that is..if it only can hush the lady of the house...)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 AM

You're on the right track with the ISP Decimator G-String, does a good job once it's set up right - that is, pairing it with your amp's input and FX loop. The problem with the older Decimator was just 1 input + 1 output so settings for a high gain channel wouldn't work well when you went back to clean.

As far as a compressor goes, check out the Maxon CP101 or any other optical compressor if you want subtle compression and low noise operation (although, if you get the G-String it will take care of any noise introduced by your compressor).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode