Compression pedal - what, why, where? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 59
Compression pedal - what, why, where?

Hey guys

I keep reading that a compression pedal is a secret weapon to a good pedal board but the more I read the more confused I get.
Adding sustain and evening out the output - if I've understood it correct - sounds very good but what else is it to it?
And which pedals are good/bad, where in the chain does it belong? If anyone can share some tips I'd be grateful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Re: Compression pedal - what, why, where?

This is well worth a read:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/...compressor.pdf

Keeley's are very good compressors too. I don't use compression a lot, but if I do I usually put it at the beginning of my effects chain for higher gain or clean stuff, but for lower gain if I'm using an overdrive pedal, I'll put it after that.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

The only secret weapon(which is not secret) is practicing and learning how to make music people enjoy.
It doesn't matter what amazing gear and tone you have if nobody care about what you play.
These days people are so concerned about woods, pedals, tone than music itself and that's why music on the media is soooooooooooo crap.
Secret weapon = metronome and your bedroom.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
The only secret weapon(which is not secret) is practicing and learning how to make music people enjoy.
It doesn't matter what amazing gear and tone you have if nobody care about what you play.
These days people are so concerned about woods, pedals, tone than music itself and that's why music on the media is soooooooooooo crap.
Apart from failing on the topic, you are not at all correct. It's not the best musicians who make it. It's all about the people you know. If a compressor makes it more fun to play music, then a compressor is the right thing for him.

OT: As explained by a monkey: Compression

"Picture the scene. Sicily, 1947. A monkey. With a volume pedal. He has tinnitus, so he doesn't like loud noises, but needs things to be a certain volume level in order to hear them, poor little mite. He is wearing headphones. When you play, if it's too loud, he turns the volume down a little. If it's too quiet, he turns it up. He can do this quite quickly if he wants, but there's a big dial in front of him, telling him how fast he's allowed to turn the volume control. There's another control that determines how loud his headphones are compared to your guitar.

Pop the little chap in a box and paint it (traditionally) blue and off you go. Oh, it might be a good idea to replace him with some sort of electronics gubbins, to save his poor hearing.

Some compressors allow you to have a little effect loop in between your guitar and his headphones, so that you could (for instance) have him only listen to the bass part of your guitar sound, but work the volume control according to that."

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/guides.html
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
I heard that hands help too!

-Wolfram
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Reviews: 13

P.S Sorry to those who are without hands and play guitar. I meant no offence.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. The Keeley explanation made sence (and the Italian monkey, lmao).
Though I agree with the principle of your point 6fingers, I'm a big fan of experementing with different effects.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:

You forgot to tell us about the great sound of mesa and processors You don't need them if we believe you, sell them all and star practicing with any crap!
Anyway, talent and practice is not the real reason why the music you hear in the media is like that. Just ask in the background to the famous music stars what they had to do to be a star... If that guy is honest (most are not gonna be honest), just in that momment you are gonna understand the "why" of the music you hear in the media. Talent, practice and the "how to" have never been the problem.

------------------------------------------------------

Going back to compressors, you need to learn how to use them and I recommend you to shield your guitar, because a compressor is gonna push everything you got in the signal, and if you have crap there, crap is what you are gonna hear.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: Compression pedal - what, why, where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Apart from failing on the topic, you are not at all correct. It's not the best musicians who make it. It's all about the people you know. If a compressor makes it more fun to play music, then a compressor is the right thing for him.

OT: As explained by a monkey: Compression

"Picture the scene. Sicily, 1947. A monkey. With a volume pedal. He has tinnitus, so he doesn't like loud noises, but needs things to be a certain volume level in order to hear them, poor little mite. He is wearing headphones. When you play, if it's too loud, he turns the volume down a little. If it's too quiet, he turns it up. He can do this quite quickly if he wants, but there's a big dial in front of him, telling him how fast he's allowed to turn the volume control. There's another control that determines how loud his headphones are compared to your guitar.

Pop the little chap in a box and paint it (traditionally) blue and off you go. Oh, it might be a good idea to replace him with some sort of electronics gubbins, to save his poor hearing.

Some compressors allow you to have a little effect loop in between your guitar and his headphones, so that you could (for instance) have him only listen to the bass part of your guitar sound, but work the volume control according to that."

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/guides.html
That's the crapiest story.

Your fingers and the volume button are the best compressor aver made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLTkQoo8r_Y

You could even switch between OD and clean sound based on the way you hit the strings and the way you handle the volume button.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Fascinating video. I've always used thin picks, maybe I should test his theory.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I'm never failing on a topic if I think somebody is taking a wrong path and I try to show him a better path, failing would be replying to what people ask no matter if their questions are valid or not, this is a forum(you know what forum is right? A place to exchange ideas and not only reply to the topic).
Where did I say something about "the best musicians"?
These days producers have to deal with crap musicians and throw to people what they think it could make money. In the 80's and 90's there were all kinds of music, from Pet Shop Boys to Dream Theater, these days guitarists don't even know how to make solos, they only know some pentatonic boxes but they can't make great melodic solos with them because they don't practice, music is not in their fingers.
To a compressor makes it more fun to play FIRST people need to learn how to play/make music, my point is before caring about pedals or anything, people should spend their money with a good teacher or at least buying good books or classes on the net and not buying all kinds of gear..........for nothing.

So my advice is ONCE you have some music theory and can play/make music,you start playing with effects and not the opposite, this way YOU WON'T NEED TO SEARCH FOR A "SECRET WEAPON" cause they don't exist. Music theory and your talent are the best "secret weapon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
You forgot to tell us about the great sound of mesa and processors You don't need them if we believe you, sell them all and star practicing with any crap!
In case you don't know probably the majority starts with crap gear like some pedals and a crap digital amp. It's not all parents who spend money with expensive gear because they don't know if their kids would still be interested in playing guitar next year.
I started plugging my crap brazilian acoustic guitar to my dad' stereo, only after I learned harmony theory, chord progressions and some scales I bought that first zoom 9002 and a mono earphone(yep mono because my parents didn't want to spend money in something I could change my mind and move to chess as an example) . Some of my students had poor parents and had only a crap "never in tune" brazilian guitar. It took years till they could be able to buy something better.

AGAIN my point is before spending money and time with gear, learn how to play/make music then buy whatever you want to have fun. A compressor or any gear is NEVER a secret weapon if music is not in your fingers, I don't know how could you guys could be against my advice, being against my advice is like being against people learning music and that's weird, I'd never tell to somebody to search for secret weapons, my deal is share my experience and tell them to practice.
BUT if they need a secret weapon because tone is more important than music, well there are a million pedals(gear) out ther to buy, I hope their bank accounts are better than mine

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:

AGAIN my point is before spending money and time with gear, learn how to play/make music then buy whatever you want to have fun.

Some people take clases with a teacher to play well (As I did years after I learned to play), others just find out how to read tabs and they try to do it... You can find awesome players both ways on youtube and is kind of tedious, tiresome and repetitive, that you always have to say "learn to play" when somebody ask for a pedal, an amp or a guitar.
Man, people know what they do with their own money.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
Man, people know what they do with their own money.
No they don't, that's why they come to forums to ask which guitar, pedal, amp, pups, strings whatever they should buy

Guys who have experience with that stuff and already crossed that "period" want to share their experiences trying to help someone who didn't, well that's what I'm doing.
I'd be glad IF my experience could help him at any level but if not, at the end he'll learn it in his own time...............and money.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
No they don't, that's why they come to forums to ask which guitar, pedal, amp, pups, strings whatever they should buy

Guys who have experience with that stuff and already crossed that "period" want to share their experiences trying to help someone who didn't, well that's what I'm doing.
I'd be glad IF my experience could help him at any level but if not, at the end he'll learn it in his own time...............and money.
Plus--it's all too easy to walk into any local guitar shop and try out different effects, amps, and guitars. Yet people still post the "Should I get this?" threads. It still falls into the same point you make--always better to ask first and wait for replies from people who've "been there/done that." The only problem, and we've discussed this at length several times--everyone has different tastes.
Anyone considering any type of effect should know what it does first, then try to get some hands-on time with one in a shop. Then decide if they like it.

And, to the OP--here's a nice description of what a compressor does. It's not as entertaining as the monkey story, but pretty in depth.
http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile115.html

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM

He asked how compressors worked, where to place for best results and why some players consider it they're secret weapon.

You constantly missing the point of a thread and dragging out your soapbox to preach the obvious is really really getting old 6,just answer the question or move on.

As for compressors i don't use them myself,no real reason other than I've not felt i needed it in my general setup however i do know players whom swear by them.

Tags
compression

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode