Compression - what the??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Compression - what the???

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what there view is on using compression. I have the option of using it but don't seem to like it very much, it just seems to dampen the sound, make the gain drop to much.

What would you use compression for? and what is it?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 07:20 AM

I use it whenever I have to switch to finger-picking because I'm not a great hybrid picker and if I don't use a little compression the bass note I hit with the pick will stand out from the notes I pluck with my fingers - so in our current list I use it on a lot of Stray Cats stuff, Desperado (Alice Cooper), Sultans of Swing and some Eddie Cochran stuff. I also like using it to squeeze out a familiar country flavor on the ol' Tele. I never use compression with any gain, since there's plenty of compression in an OD pedal or overdriven tubes anyway... my 2¢
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 10:38 AM

it depends on what style you play:
if you play Pantera's stuff or Metallica, then get compressed. if you play simple rock, blues, jazz or whatever, then dont compress your sound.

you should use it when you need an even volume and no dynamics. it squeezes your signal dynamics, i.e: low-volume will get pumped, and high-volume will be cut, to give your sound even 'boundaries' to be driven in.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:02 PM

Just compress if you like the sound. There's no rule.

Your dampened effect is caused by over-compression.Slack on the ratio and threshold and then balance your input gain versus your output gain. You may be very welll surprised at what comes out!

Cheers
Pat
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 09:02 PM

If anything, I use my compressor to add sustain into my distortion..I could care less about how "even" the sound is..I rarely use it anymore, it's byproduct of added noise isn't worth the benifit..Just my opnion though...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 11:03 PM

I really dont fully understand compression either. I use it though lol. It just seems to make my sound a bit more focused and adds a little tightness and chunk. I like the effect of it, so ill probably keep usin it. Just tweak it a bit to see if you can get good results, if not dont use it :-)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:13 AM

Compression is simple, imagine your guitar signal as it looks on an osciliscope (as a simple sine wave). Without compression your signal has no boundries, other than the limitations on how much magnetic field you can disturb (i.e by normal playing) and what the maximum voltage capacity of your pickup's are (how efficient and/or large the magnets are). Compression "squeezes" the upper and lower boundries to a desired level (reducing extreme voltages caused by the dynamics of your playing), these are what cause erratic and uncontrolled loud sounds. Since compression limits these voltages it makes your sound more controlled and "stable".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:21 AM

A most excellent explanation, Soloist. TKS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode