which compressor: keeley or carl martin? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

which compressor: keeley or carl martin?

I'm looking for an excellent compressor for my guitar rig, and i've come down to two choices: keeley and carl martin. I've read the reviews at harmony central and these two pedals seem to get equal praise or "sound quality" ratings.
I already have keeley modded Ds-1 and Bd-2, and they are the best. But now i need the best compressor.........of these two pedals.

So which pedal is better overall as a compressor, and why do you think so?
Things like: Tone, true bypass, low noise, sustain etc... are important to me.

Please share your thoughts and comments!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 02:05 PM

I just picked up a Keeley and am pretty stunned by it. I use for light compression before the amp and after my overdrive (this is the Robert recommends it, but try it other ways as well) and it'll smooth out the tone without killing the dynamics. Used this way you can dial back or lighten your touch and it'll respond nicely. It's dead quiet. As far as sustain goes, I use it at ~10 o'clock, but even there, it supports the sustain well. Don't really use it dialed up so I can't comment there. If true bypass is important to you, it's there, though mine pops a bit when switched.

Robert's a good guy to deal with. He also has a $ back guarantee, so you could order one, and if you don't like it, send it back within 2 day and get your cash back (though you'd be out some shipping), but you'll have to wait about two months to get one. But you knew all that.

Haven't used the Carl Martin so I can't give you a comparision.

FWIW,
-bill
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:19 PM

My interest has been piqued about the Keeley, also. I've downloaded the demo samples linked to his website. Think it's time to take some medicine to help this G.A.S. problem...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:59 PM

I just sent him a Rat and DS-1 to mod...he is a great guy to work with. I'm having him do the Ultra mod on teh DS-1...same one he designed for Vai himself.
Greg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 05:14 PM

I know that Vai's tech fairly recently handed him a keeley compressor and Vai loved it...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

I finally decided on the keeley compressor. I got it and it is definitely the right choice! Probably the best compressor i've tried so far......nice and quiet. Makes my tone sound warmer too.

I also got the Ds-1 ultra mod.....the whimpy stock sound doesnt even come close to it. The "fat" switch really beefs up your tone in a good way. It totally rules! And looks cool with the toggle switch, and the seeing eye.....but i had keeley keep the original knobs on mine....so i don't have the big knobs..either way i will never play a stock DS-1 again.

Tags
keeley mod , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode