Computer Audio Problem...Anybody Know what's happening?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Computer Audio Problem...Anybody Know what's happening??

Howdy,

I have a nice Dell P4 with an Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. I've never had any problems with audio before having a cable modem installed. Now I get 2 audible pops (sounds like digital distortion) about every minute or so, without fail. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to a CD, DVD, MP3 File or streaming audio or video from the web.

Anybody got a clue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 05:57 AM

How is the cable modem hooked up? If it's by way of a PCI ethernet card, you could have an IRQ conflict.

If that's the case, try moving the cards around to different slots.

I have an Echo Mia with an Ethernet card, and I don't have any problems.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

It's an external little box, he didn't open my PC at all to install it so no cards were installed in the process.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 11:30 PM

Brad,

Your cable modem likely is connected to your computer via a PCI network card. I'd agree with Polaris that your PCI network card is probably conflicting with your Soundcard. I'd try to shuffle the cards as Polaris recommended and maybe even create two profiles - one with the network card enabled and one with it disabled (the latter would be used for recording purposes).

I went through very similar problems with my old Gateway when attempting to utilize both an Audiophile 24/96 card and a Soundblaster Live card in the same machine.

Good luck.

Randy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
he didn't open my PC at all to install it so no cards were installed in the process.
Could be that the Network connection is on-board...problematic.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:48 PM

Have you tried uninstalling your sound card and reinstalling it? Sometimes thats all it takes.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 10:52 AM

I get these noises with my Dell P4 only when listening to CDs direct from either CD drive, and I've never been able to fix it.

But the Dell website has lots of download patches for firmware etc which helps, if you haven't done so, get those and your latest Windows (if you run it) service pack.

If its connected via USB those drivers might well help.

Is your cable modem downloading stuff all the time? If so these sound like little regular writes to the hard disc affecting the audio. In which case consider SCSI, 7200rpm or a dual OS.

Have you unplugged the card to see if the problem is related to the card as hardware or the software drivers that came with it? If you still get the problem with the card unplugged, its a driver issue.

Definitely if these don't fix it, try moving the cards.

The ONLY way i could get decent performance out of the Dell was to start running a dual operating system, one for Cubase SX only, the other for all other software and internet browsing.

Plus point to this is you can take a disc image when you do it, and then "refresh" your OS every month or so to remove unwanted plugins, deitritus etc.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I tried shuffling all the card around and still got the same thing. I just unplugged my modem and listened to some tunes and the little noises are gone so it definitely has something to do with the cable network connection, and it is on all the time. I'll contact the network provider and see if they have a fix.

Thanks for all the input.

Brad
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, chalk one up for figuring this one out....duh...download new drivers dip$&*(.

Just updated the drive from m-audio and that did the trick...thanks for the help folks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

This stupid noise is back again...this blows. I can't record anything or copy cds, record cds....without introducing this noise to each track.

I'll check with Dell....

I swapped around all the cards, and updated my soundcard drivers and it went away for a few days, but now it's back.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 12:10 AM

Quote:
get those and your latest Windows (if you run it) service pack.
uh that wouldn't be a good idea if your have XP. It just makes the computer go slower and their is no gain. I know I work in computers and I have probably have made more money on the upgrade than rich has in the last month
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 06:45 AM

I asked Dell about problems I had with the CD drive and this is what they said:

This problem can occur if the Wave Audio Media Controller Interface
(MCI) is corrupted or damaged.

Solution:

To resolve the problem, complete the following steps:

Click Start | Settings | Control Panel | Multimedia | Devices. Expand the Media Control Devices section.
Click Wave Audio Device (Media Control).
Click Properties | Remove.
The following message will appear:
Are you sure you want to remove this driver?
Click Yes.
Click OK.
Click OK.
The computer may prompt you to restart. If so, restart. If not, Click Start | Shut Down | Restart | OK.
Once the computer restarts, click Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add New Hardware.
Click Next | Next | "No, I will select my hardware from a list"
| Next.
Select Sound, Video, and Game Controllers | Next | Next.
Select Microsoft MCI from the Manufacturers list, and select Wave Audio Device (Media Control) from the Models List.
Click Next | Finish.
Windows will copy files from the Windows 95/98 CD or the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs directory on the hard drive, if that directory still exist. Insert the Windows 95/98 CD if prompted to do so.
Click Yes when prompted to restart the computer and the MCI device will be re-installed and re-initialized.

If not, its a pain, but the only solution I can see is this. You know your computer can run without this problem so you just need to find the optimal software point where this is the case and stick with it:

You're going to have to back up everything, wipe your machine, and install your OS first. Test out & see if it works correctly. Take a disc image using Norton Ghost.

Then install your drivers, original discs supplied OEM first. Test. Take an image. Does it work? If not, try updating drivers. When it stops take an image. If it does not work, go back to previous disc image, try Windows updates instead (yes sry111 that may well be true but I've seen XP updates fix problems with machines, so its worth a shot).

Once (if) you get a working setup. Start instaling your software. One piece at a time, most important first. Take an image, run the machine for a week. If okay, go back to the image to remove the week's detritus, add another bit of software.

Etc.

This is basically what I had to do to get my Dell running. I still get the noises when playing CDs from the drive so guess what? I don't do it.

NB You need 2 partitions on your hard drive (or 2 drives) one for your OS, one for storage of data, audio and images. Also note that the Dell fix didn't work for me, it might for you.

My theory is that while a lot of the components Dell use are fine, the IDE interfaces are garbage. I retrofitted an Ultra-160 SCSI card which solved my latency & HDD audio glitch problems, but don't want to go to SCSI for the CD drives.

Best of luck mate,

Jamie
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:22 PM

OK. First of all my name is SRY777 (Steve Refael Young my name and 777 for the guitar. Sorry Idon't think they put out a 111 yet ) Also
Quote:
try Windows updates instead
That is a good idea but what I was saying was that right now upgraiding to XP wasn't a good idea. And instead of going to microsofts website try the manufactures first then you can download what you want without the extra junk. (the updates are good but... if it ain't broke don't fix it they cause you to fix other problems you might not have had) Your idea about taking the computer and reassembling it is good but I wouldn't recomend it as it voids the warranty and inorder not to void it, it should be done by a authorized repair shop. O, yes you are right Dells cabels are second rate, IDE, EIDE, SCSI interfaces are also and if you want to upgrade, so are motherboards. This is a cost-saving measure by the computer companies so it can't really be helped.('cept for the cables) Enjoy
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 09:40 AM

ah, confusion - i meant the service packs for windows, not a total operating system change.

does cable affect transfer speed that much? is it worth me replacing cables in my machine, with pcs every little counts it seems.

if so, how would i know what a good cable was (bear in mind i'm in uk)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 03:08 PM

i think its a good idea to get the rounded cables since they improve airflow in the computer case this leads to longer computer life. This is the olny benifit that i know of. A faster cable would be better but that would mean changing you motherboard and hard drive. To much time and labor is involved to make it worth while. The rounded cables ar good but just maginaly good. If you want to do it go ahead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode