Computer for protools - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Computer for protools

Debating between an Imac, all decked out. Or upgrading my current "gaming" PC. Currently I've been recording with Sonar but have been running into latency issues with my PC. I'm using a Toneport UX2 for recording guitars and Superior drummer 2.0 for drums. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Computer for protools

I'm in the market for a new comp to dedicate to recording. Especially a mac, but to deck them out.... I almost fell out of my chair. FK, some people dont even pay that for used cars. MAN! When I saw that Apple quote I was like F-that! I could by a new Cameron CCV!

As much as i want one, Not sure I'll convince myself to pay the $K's for slower specs vs spec'n, buying, building a crazy PC for between 1/4er - 1/3rd the price.

I really wanted a macbook pro and an apogee audio interface... easy recording setup. Then Mics. Then i fell out of my chair, hit my head & fell back into PC land. Looks like PC, MOTU AI and an assortment of good mics.

And I'll still have cake for scumbacks!

Last edited by bhuard75; 05-27-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM

i use an iMac with pro tools and ez drummer.. standard iMac with 4gb.. i dont know the model, but it looked nice so i bought it

runs great, wouldnt use a PC for stuff like that anymore, the mac is just sooo reliable...
oh, i get no latency but im not using a UX2 so cant help ya there.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM

I found out the hard way that to run Sonor, you have to disable the onboard sound to get past the lag. I ended up building an AMD microtower with no usual pci sound card and disabling onboard sound.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 AM

ProTools is written for Mac, there are many non-compatible components in "PCs" that can ruin your day. My ProTools refused to work with the motherboard I had, due to one of the bridges being of a wrong type. I have no idea what that means, but it was enough to keep ProTools from starting up.

I would only say "PC" if you got very good skills with them, and since you ask the question, you probably don't. Go Mac, or choose another DAW.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Superior Drummer is a resource hog, you'll need something fast and multi-cored to get that running smoothly. I've been using Sonar 8.5 on my quadcore i7 (overclocked to 3.8) and have zero latency issues. I also use a UX2. I am able to run 30+ tracks, each with its own instance of Pod Farm, and a few instances of EZDrummer.

What are your current PC specs?

When you say upgrade, what are you willing to replace? Just cpu? motherboard? ram?

Also, depending on how computer savy you are, there's a bunch of things you can tweak to make Sonar run better.

EDIT:
On a side note, macs only seem more stable because apple is very specific of what hardware they put in their systems. Most other computer companies fill their pc's with cheap, generic hardware and that's what causes all the problems.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Either your PC or a new imac would work just fine, as long as they are both a well maintained system. I personally prefer mac os to windows, though windows 7 is a huge step up from previous versions for a DAW. Pro tools seems to work better on my mac though if it helps your decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode