Confused about amps - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Confused about amps

I've been using my Fender studio 85 for a while now and I love it, but I'm afraid that as I play larger venues, I'm gonna need a larger amp. I've been pondering over two for separate reasons.

- The Carvin Legacy of course, because I'd like to get some good Vai tones, however I need to get a crushing heavy sound as well.

- The Randall Warhead seemed like the logical choice for me. All around metal tone and nice lead sound(when used properly).

Now, I don't know much about either amp, so could someone please enlighten me on this subject? Or should I just mic my Fender?

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 12:15 AM

Well, first thing: Legacy - tube, Warhead - solid state...i am not a tube purist but for many it makes a big difference...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Yeah solid-states tend to have better metal tone eh?

well, I'll check them out.

cheers!

P.S. seeing as you're from Montreal, did you go to that Exposure 2003 at club soda a while ago?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 02:45 AM

Solid state= metal tone? nope. I have no qualms about being a tube purist, so i;m gonna push you for soemthing that glows when you turn it on. Maybe a mesa single or dual rectifier, if you need a good smooth lead tone and a crushing distortion sound...

-Drew
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 03:01 AM

How much money do you want to spend? You'll at least need a good cabinet to use with your amp. If the time has come for a good amp, for chrissakes buy a GOOD one. Listen to the amps. Do not settle for anything you even remotely don't like. Do listen every amp more than once. I noticed that exactly the same amp can sound good one day and harsh another day. It's psychological, it's called ear fatigue. Feel the dynamics of the amp, especially on high-gain channels. Decide whether you like it or not, this is just as important as the good tone. If it sounds fine to everybody around you but feels "dull" and "dead", you won't like playing it later on. And the final recomendation, buy USED. You can buy an used amp in good condition twice as cheap as the new one.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 09:28 AM

Solid state = metal tone nope? Huh?! Have you ever heard of Dimebag Darrel from Pantera?
BTW, Dime uses the Randalls. His tone is just EVIL. I've seen 'em live too, and nobody's tone I've ever heard even comes CLOSE to its brutality live. Plus, his lead sound was freakin' ripping. But, to each his own.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I know HOW to shop for amps. Hell, I've had to do it before. I just wanted to know where you all stand on this. Like, I wasn't sure if the tube amps could get the level of gain that I need. Plus tubes are a pain in the ass, I'm too lazy to change them! LOL

So I dunno, I guess I'm gonna have to go to Steve's Music Store once I make some money. I really hate the guys there, but they have a good selection.

cheers!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 01:03 PM

The secret is to not but there... but make them think you're considering it. You'll get away with murder.

"Idunno... I'm still torn between this TSL and the Vetta... i know tube amps are supposed to sound better loud- can i crank this for a few?" sales clerk (counting bills in his head and not really listening) "why of course, do whatever you want."

-Drew
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

LOL, very true, very true.

cheers!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 01:49 PM

I just gonna say that although I use solidstate, I would never take a solidstate amp over a tube amp. Just my $.02.

To answer your original question, though, a microphone is less expensive and much easier on the sound engineer.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREWTAL*LICKS
Plus tubes are a pain in the ass, I'm too lazy to change them! LOL
cheers!
That's a sly myth invented by people who sell tubes. This helps them to sell more tubes, that's it. You need to change power tubes once a year (if you play a for hours every day at full volume) or once in maybe 2-3 years (if you don't). Preamp tubes almost do not wear out at all, the currents are just too small and so are the temperatures. What can possibly happen to 4 hot pieces of metal in deep vacuum? Change preamp tubes every 10 years or every 5 years if you have some money to burn.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I think you're underestimating my laziness!

cheers!

p.s. thanx for the info!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 08:39 PM

That's what techs are for, brewtal.

A pre tube is like a lightbulb... A lightbulb is a wire in a vaccum- it should theoretically never burn out, right? But every 1000 or so hours, wham, suddenly it just blows up and dies. A preamp tube's life is typically a bit longer than a lightbulb- better construction, if nothing else- but they do die eventually.

That said, Mesa recommends changing preamp tubes about every 4 years, and they run their tubes hard... 5 is probably quite feasable.

Power tubes, i have no idea.

-Drew
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 PM

Got to get a tube amp!! If you want a amp that will blow away the warhead check out the bogner uberschall. It is the most brutal amp out there. I own a duel recto 2 chn. that is a great amp. I've played solid state amps and just cant seem to get a good metal tone. The leagacy is a great sounding amp that can easily do real heavy stuff with a little e.q. nad a distotion pedal.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Really? Sweet. That's all I needed to hear.

cheers!

Tags
bogner uberschall , dual rectifier , music store , peavey amp , preamp tube , solid state amp , solid state amps , super overdrive , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode