Confusion over the term "High Gain" - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Confusion over the term "High Gain"

Almost every amp company describes what they produce as high gain, or high gain capable. In reality however, it's a totally different story.

When I say high gain I don't mean Heart's "Magic Man" or AC/DC "Back in Black."

This is what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-FpcyrvsNI

Give me this in a five watt and I don't care the cost.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Confusion over the term "High Gain"

Yep--that's what I call high gain!

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 PM

That song this brings back memories. Love it.
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Reviews: 11

Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18.

Take it from a death metal player, this thing got heavy! I was using a 7 string in Drop A in it. No pedals. It's switchable between 18 watts, 8 watts, one watt and no watts for recording.

You have to have the gain cranked and the lead boost on though. The lead boost is VERY important. It won't do anything over blues fuzz without it. But it got pretty heavy. And if you had an OD in front of it, you'd have to be backing the gain off! But it was great without it! Good luck finding a review, video or clip of it getting to that level though. Based on clips, I would have never considered one. But one day, I saw one in Guitar Center and figured "F**k, might as well. I've always wanted one of the big-boy Kettners". I'd actually get one of these for at-home stuff.

$600.

Actually, I'd get the Tube Meister 36 instead! All the same features and more. More gain as well.
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/pr...od=TubeMeister 36 Head

Damn, it's not out yet :/

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 07-21-2012 at 08:54 PM.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Reviews: 11

There's also the ENGL Gigmaster 15 and Gigmaster 30. Not sure if they can switch to lower wattage or not. I think they can though.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM

Reviews: 130

ENGL amps characteristically have more gain on tap than Hughes & Kettner but I like the Hughes & Kettner tone better. Either will get you there, though, as will the Splawn Nitro, especially with KT88'S.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18.

Take it from a death metal player, this thing got heavy! I was using a 7 string in Drop A in it. No pedals. It's switchable between 18 watts, 8 watts, one watt and no watts for recording.

You have to have the gain cranked and the lead boost on though. The lead boost is VERY important. It won't do anything over blues fuzz without it. But it got pretty heavy. And if you had an OD in front of it, you'd have to be backing the gain off! But it was great without it! Good luck finding a review, video or clip of it getting to that level though. Based on clips, I would have never considered one. But one day, I saw one in Guitar Center and figured "F**k, might as well. I've always wanted one of the big-boy Kettners". I'd actually get one of these for at-home stuff.

$600.

Actually, I'd get the Tube Meister 36 instead! All the same features and more. More gain as well.
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/pr...od=TubeMeister 36 Head

Damn, it's not out yet :/
+1 on the H&K.
Saw a demo--this baby cranks!

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 AM

I tend to like less gainy amps with an OD in front, I'm a big fan of that 80's Thrash tone.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

High gain = when you grab a wire and all your cells start to shake.
Low gain = when you grab a wire and it makes tickles.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
There's also the ENGL Gigmaster 15 and Gigmaster 30. Not sure if they can switch to lower wattage or not. I think they can though.
This one is leading the pack so far.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Jet City Picovalve?
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
Jet City Picovalve?
Tried it, no gain to speak of.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I tend to like less gainy amps with an OD in front, I'm a big fan of that 80's Thrash tone.

This is how I am, sort of. My soldano SLO is called "high gain," but compared to some of the modern amps on the market, it certainly isn't "highest gain." However, even with my SLO, I like to get my lead solo sound by kicking on a Boss SD-1 in front of the SLO. I prefer to keep the SLO gain around 6 or 7, which is great for heavy rhythms and riffs, and any extra gain or push for a more singing and sustaining lead sound, just a slight boost from my SD-1 gives me all I need. Plus, I actually like the sound better than maxing just the gain on my amp. There's something about that tiny solid state pedal boost in front of an overdriven tube amp that is time tested and tried and true magic. I used to have a Marshall TSL head, and I did the same thing - I never used that really high gain channel 3. I liked to dial in the crunch channel to a nice heavy sound with plenty of OD, and then kick on my SD1 for leads/sustain.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Yup, backing off the gain and using an OD to tighten up the flubby bottom-end you sometimes get is magical. It's just adds an extra bit of hair that you can't always get out of an amp.

On topic, what wrong with getting a little class-A 5-watter and using something like a Suhr Riot/Tube King/HT-Drive pedal for your gain? I have a Peavey Royal 8 (the little 5-watt amp in the Valveking series) which I use for bedroom stuff. The onboard 'gain' is rubbish but put a Rat in front and it sounds great at low volumes.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup, backing off the gain and using an OD to tighten up the flubby bottom-end you sometimes get is magical. It's just adds an extra bit of hair that you can't always get out of an amp.

On topic, what wrong with getting a little class-A 5-watter and using something like a Suhr Riot/Tube King/HT-Drive pedal for your gain? I have a Peavey Royal 8 (the little 5-watt amp in the Valveking series) which I use for bedroom stuff. The onboard 'gain' is rubbish but put a Rat in front and it sounds great at low volumes.
I've never understood getting a tube amp just to run solid state pedals in front.

I may just go the solid state route actually. Considering a Carvin SX 200 head. At $299.00 it seems like a no brainer. I could put a Boss Metalcore on it and get what I need, I think

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode