Controlling DSL + a rack unit with a single footswitch - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Controlling DSL + a rack unit with a single footswitch

Is this possible with a midi controller or something else similar?

One channel DSL crunch, another channel DSL clean + chorus from let's say G Major rack unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 04:50 PM

Often midi controllers have relay switches that can control non midi equipment via 1/4 inch cables. However, the DSL doesn't use 1/4 in for its remote channel switching so you are out of luck unless you rewire something to make it work. An amp tech or competent electrician should be able to hook you up.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Often midi controllers have relay switches that can control non midi equipment via 1/4 inch cables. However, the DSL doesn't use 1/4 in for its remote channel switching so you are out of luck unless you rewire something to make it work. An amp tech or competent electrician should be able to hook you up.
this could be done without any damage to the sound of the amp right?

is there an effect (multi, single chorus, reverb etc.) that can be controlled through a footswitch similar to marshall's?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 05:40 PM

Why not just run your g-major in the effects loop of the DSL? You'd still have to change channels manually with the DSL's footswitch but that's not that big a deal.

To answer your question, it wouldn't do anything to the amp to reconfigure the channel switching.

Personally, I went away from the complexity of having an integrated rack system all midi operated and am very happy with a good tube head and some choice pedals. It's simple, flexible, easy to set up and I don't need to pour over several manuals to tweak a setting....I just lean over and turn some knobs. But I'm a simpleton.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I would also like to keep it simple (less things that can go wrong) but I wouldn't like to be a tap dancer - so when I want to change from crunch to effect I have to tap two or three things depending on the nature of effect

here's another idea - is there anyway to switch off the effects loop when the A(crunch) channel is on? that would be ok since I would then pre-setup the rack effect and then just control things through the marshall footswitch

oh and for the record - I don't have a g major, I am just looking into options before I make that kind of a purchase
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are wanting a footswitchable effects loop, yes I believe the DSL has that capability...however if you are wanting a dedicated loop for just the Crunch channel, you'll need to upgrade to the Marshall TSL head for that. It has two effects loops, one for the clean channel and for the crunch and lead channels. As the DSL is shipped, you can't set it so that the effects loop is only activated when the crunch channel is active...it's a global loop. However doing it that way you would have to be using your effect with just one setting and toggling it on and off, which is somewhat contradictory to the reason you would buy a unit like a g-major in the first place.

THe only way to get what you want is to rig your amp to change channels via a midi operated relay jack and that means installing the 1/4 in jacks referred to earlier. maybe some smarter folks around here can come up with an alternate method, but the premise is the same...you have to get a non midi device to respond to a midi command and that requires some type of interface change.

If you don't need the 40+ different effects that a multi unit provides, I don't see why pedals won't work for you. I don't use chorus on my crunch and lead tones but I do on my clean. I just place my chorus pedal in a position where I can step on the channel buttons and the pedal at the same time.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 AM
rfb

Well, I don't know how the DSL channel switching works, but the G Major has a stereo jack switching output offering three possibilities. Chances are a simple adapter cable would sort you out.

- rfb
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are wanting a footswitchable effects loop, yes I believe the DSL has that capability...however if you are wanting a dedicated loop for just the Crunch channel, you'll need to upgrade to the Marshall TSL head for that.

If you don't need the 40+ different effects that a multi unit provides, I don't see why pedals won't work for you. I don't use chorus on my crunch and lead tones but I do on my clean. I just place my chorus pedal in a position where I can step on the channel buttons and the pedal at the same time.
I did think about buying the TSL since it had more options but I've heard a couple of bands with that head and didn't like the sound + everyone said that the DSL is the ultimate Marshall for high gain. For me, the DSL has a GREAT sound and I am not regretting the purchase, but I think I will have to mod it somehow or work around this problem

I was also considering some pedals but if I'd use chorus I would also use some delay + a couple of others - that's why the multi is so great - one step and there you go

hm seems the 1/4 mod is the easiest solution for this
or...rfb, could you explain your post a bit more - what would go where?

any other DSL users with the similar problem or have some experience with this?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 10:13 AM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403
or...rfb, could you explain your post a bit more - what would go where?
midi footswitch -> G Major. G Major channel switch out -> Marshall channel switch in. You can set which channel the Marshall's switched to for each G Major patch.

As I said, this is assuming that one can simply connect the 1/4 G Major control out to whatever the Marshall uses for switching; I'd be amazed if you couldn't. (If all else fails, Marshall answer email queries astonishingly quickly, and are always very helpful - I'm sure they'd be able to tell you if this would work.)

- rfb
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403
I did think about buying the TSL since it had more options but I've heard a couple of bands with that head and didn't like the sound
worst live tone i ever heard was from a TSL stack. The guy who set it was an idiot. Doesn't change the fact that i was floored when i plugged into one and that i'll be buying one this week.

Anyway, sop much of an amp's character (especially a marshall's) comes from the way it's set. Just because someone got a really BAD live tone out of it doens't make it a peice of crap.

And anyway, does a DSL really sound that different from a TSL? I wouldn't have thought so...

-Drew
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

drew - (off topic) maybe I would buy the TSL if I had the chance to sit down with it and jam on it an hour or so, but I couldn't so I had to believe what other people said as well as find some bands that had this amp - Filter uses one and they have a rather thin sinthetic tone (maybe I am mistaken but I presume they recorded on one since there's one in the video) plus I saw a guitarist use it live and the tone again was thin..but as you say maybe if dialed correctly...who knows

as far as tone difference goes between dsl and tsl, from what I've heard there's a big difference. could be wrong tho, as I said never played through TSL so...

rfb - thanks! do you have the g major? upside/downside?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 03:57 PM

Hmm, never played through a DSL, but they have one up the road where i was playing a TSL... i didn't bother with it, as i figured it was just a TSL with fewer channels... maybe i should give it a try sometime...

Anyway, yeah, the TSL is quite responsive to the way it's set- kick in the "tone shift" control and yes, it gives a very scooped sound, but leave that button out, push the mids a bit and engage the "deep" switch and the thing rumbles... not quite like a mesa, but still it's pretty thick.

Who knows...

-Drew
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 10:53 AM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403
rfb - thanks! do you have the g major? upside/downside?
No problem. I've had one for a while, yes, but I don't use that feature - I have an all-midi rig (ADA preamp), and I also have a dedicated loop/channel switcher. http://www.rfbooth.com/music/gear/ .

Upside: great sounding, very transparent, easy to program, excellent controllability via midi (which I don't use; I only use patch changes and occasionally an expression pedal). Handles the harmonisers for "Ballerina" perfectly, which makes a fun party trick .

Downside: I'm sure there is one. Um. No intellegent harmonisers, but for this money that's no surprise. You can't set level being fed _into_ the delay block, only out of it; it'd be a little more flexible for soundscapes if you could. The midi mapping could be a little better implemented; it was an afterthought.

IMHO, for the money, there is nothing even close for flexibility, ease of use and especially quality.

- rfb
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

rfb - what's the price of the g major anyway?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 07:09 AM
rfb

Well, that depends on new vs s/h, and (critically) on where you are.

Here in the UK, the street price is £399 new, I think. I paid that for mine briefly used (six weeks old; a pedals guy experimenting with a rack and deciding against it) just after they came out.

- rfb

Tags
chorus pedal , expression pedal , marshall tsl , midi controller , midi foot , rack system , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode