A Convert? Not Quite Yet...But Closer - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

A Convert? Not Quite Yet...But Closer

So I went browsing the local guitar shops today with one of my friends, and saw some cool stuff. Drooled over the Vetta combo of course (Marked down to $2075 ), and looked at the new Ibanez and Schecter models. I decided to try out the Schecter 006, and couldn't resist sitting down with the new Marshall Mark4. And, I'd say this thing almost converted me away from digital...almost. It sounded great, and was quite versatile, but not quite versatile enough. I wish I could bring it home and really try it out, but whatever. There were a few tones I just found I missed too much.

The Schecter was sweet tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 09:39 PM

Some of the Schecter diamond series stuff really isn't that bad for what your'e getting! If I wanted a lower end guitar that played great, sounded pretty good and looked snazzy with all the trimmings i'd probably pick up a C-1 Elite or something and put different pickups in. They're not bad guitars at all.

Line 6 amps though - good for practicing but they just can't nail the real thing. What the heck is up with its rectifier model?? Doesn't even sound close. Versatile yes, covers all bases very well without need for another amp?? no no no
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:36 PM

Wait until you get to hear something truly great, like VHT, Bogner, Mesa or Egnater. If you want to become a convert, get yourself a used Mark IV for a good start.
post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Do they have the versatility tho? I need (yes, need) at least a good Marshall sound, a good Mesa sound, a good Matchless sound, a good Soldano sound, and a good many clean tones. (or, you know, as close as any Line6 will get) And don't question the word "need" because I use them all in songs that I've written on my own, and in both of my bands.

I don't care how close they are to the original, they sound good to my ears (since I've never played the originals probably).
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:56 PM

Keep in mind that the Marshall Mode Four (not Mark 4) is a hybrid amp with tubes in the preamp but a fully solid-state power amp. Wait 'til you try an all-tube beast.
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 03:12 PM

I'd rather have one amp with two or three killer channels than one box with a million okay channels.
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I don't care how close they are to the original, they sound good to my ears (since I've never played the originals probably).
I agree...in a amateur band situation, even if you get the best 'boutique' amp, you probably won't be using a premium PA system or gigging in the best venues, so the final sound won't be that great. On the other hand, the convenience of a solid state is great, almost no maintenance.

That said, I still dream about a huge collection of tube amps
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I agree...in a amateur band situation, even if you get the best 'boutique' amp, you probably won't be using a premium PA system or gigging in the best venues, so the final sound won't be that great. On the other hand, the convenience of a solid state is great, almost no maintenance.

That said, I still dream about a huge collection of tube amps
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:25 PM

>> I need (yes, need) at least a good Marshall sound, a good
>> Mesa sound, a good Matchless sound, a good Soldano sound

I guess, Line 6 advertisement department really does its job well, doesn't it? Most of us need just 2-3 great tones, and that's it. These tones are - Clean, Mid-Gain, and High Gain. These three have to be excellent, though. They should be creativity-inspiring.
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:05 PM

The thing i really like about digital stuff is i can make dramatic changes to my sound just by stomping on one button.

I can go from a slightly distorted Fender Tweed with some tremolo and reverb to *tap* a balls-out bone-dry Mesa high-gain tone to *tap* an ethereal JC-120 sound with thick chorus and delay to *tap* acoustic simulator. And i do. Quite regularly.

There are probably four amp tones at the core of my sound, but i use subtly different gain and EQ settings depending on what i need, as well as different combinations of effects. I have about six banks of patches (four patches per bank) in my GT-6 that i have set up for different songs with slightly different amp settings to nail exactly the vibe i want or to kick in a specific special effect for a song or a part. It encourages experimentation and play, and allows me to explore as many different colours as a song needs. And with some tinkering and tweaking, i think i've got some really kick-ass tones, and i don't feel limited in any way. Sometimes we're working on a new track and i'll hear my parts with a particular sound in my head, and i can usually nail it pretty well.

Yes, the sound of a 3-channel Mesa is truly glorious and i was very close to buying a Mesa head, but i'd have a hard time integrating a multi-channel tube amp into my rig without also adding a MIDI amp switcher and doing a LOT of programming to integrate the amp's sound with my effects and get it down to the one-pedal simplicity i have now. It's probably just a phase i'm going through... years ago, i only used three sounds: clean, distorted rhythm and a solo boost. But the music i'm playing now is way more complicated sonically, so it requires that i have a bit of a Swiss-army-knife approach to tone, which i find challenging and fun.

And i have no desire to learn how to tap-dance.
post #11 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I guess, Line 6 advertisement department really does its job well, doesn't it? Most of us need just 2-3 great tones, and that's it. These tones are - Clean, Mid-Gain, and High Gain. These three have to be excellent, though. They should be creativity-inspiring.
Oh how right you are.

Ive said it many times and it sounds insulting to people who play line6 but its not an insult. But getting crazy over line6 type flexabitly is not a good thing. It makes me think that that person should spend more time practicing to get to a point were they really "own" the flexabitlity in thier fingers. I really dont mean to insult or sound arogant (yet I probably will) but a real player has the flexability in thier fingers. You may think its stupid. "How could your fingers make up for the difference between a Soldano, mesa, and marshall?" But why is having the resource to sound all those different ways so important? If you have one great tone and can pull off all kinds of music (with all the different amps) with it then thats really impressive and shows me your a real guitar player. Which is why most die hard tube people stick with the vintage type amps. No channels. You have to be flexable as a player with one of those. You have to have talent. Not flexable becouse you have a controller with a thousand sounds trying to emulate different things. But flexable becouse you yourself have the ability to emulate a sound with your abilities.

I believe thats the main reason why line6 people feel they get no respect from tube people. If you like the tone of line6 I feel youd be much better off working hard towards building 1 or 2 sounds that you truly love and sound great and work with that. At the very least it gives you an identity as a player. Its "your" tone.

When micro said that the line6 adv. department was doing thier job, he was saying exactly what I have said. Its obviouse they are convincing people, that to be a good guitar player you need to have EVERY tone at your disposal. Hey. Whatever.

This is all just my opinion.
post #12 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 06:20 PM

the digital amp that really impresses me is the Vox Valvetronix. Those are soooo much better than all the Line 6 stuff. I was actually thinking of getting one.

But for me I like an amp that responds well to my volume knob (and that's why I dig tube)....that (along with my pickup switch) is all the flexiblity I really need.
post #13 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
>> I need (yes, need) at least a good Marshall sound, a good
>> Mesa sound, a good Matchless sound, a good Soldano sound

It's not really an advertisement. What's wrong with liking the ability to go between a few different overdriven sounds and a few different clean sounds, depending upon the song?
post #14 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Keep in mind that the Marshall Mode Four (not Mark 4) is a hybrid amp with tubes in the preamp but a fully solid-state power amp. Wait 'til you try an all-tube beast.
Yea, my friend corrected me on the name when talking about it yesterday And I know it's got a solid-state power-amp. But still, I've yet to see a tube amp that's versatile enough for me.

And again, I'm not going for the original tones of the amps being modelled, I just love the sound of my amp.

And I really do need all those types of tones. I know they're not exact on to the originals, but they're the tones I like/need for the songs I've written.
post #15 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarlos2
Line 6 amps though - good for practicing but they just can't nail the real thing. What the heck is up with its rectifier model?? Doesn't even sound close. Versatile yes, covers all bases very well without need for another amp?? no no no
im going to have to disagree here.

the value of a line 6 is not in its accuracy in tone, as close as it gets, itll never get above a B+. its value is in versatility. i play in 5 bands right now: latin jazz on mondays, standard jazz on tues and wed, top 40 rock (hate it but it pays the bills) on thurs, and rocky blues on fridays, i also teach and am a jazz performance major in college.

my gear consists of my carvin with a floyd and 2 evolutions (i will soon be buying either a UV777BK or and MC or GR if i can find one used for a decent price) and an Epiphone Joe Pass with duncans with my line 6 flextone iii. my uncle has a mesa markIV head with a custom speaker cab with altec speakers with hemp cones, and it sounds great, but it takes a while to warm up to sound good, tubes are expensive to maintain and is a pain to carry around.

if your a gigging musician, the line 6 offers a light, versatile package that sounds damn good, even though its not 100% accurate. the fact you can carry all your gear in and out in 1 trip is a great asset to ones back and makes clean up time much easier.

of course, if i was a pro musician, and could afford to maintain a high end tube amp and haul around a half stack or large combo and could bring all my effects or maybe a small rack with me i would in a heartbeat. but for a gigging musician where versatility is a must, and you dont want to break your back every night, and you want to sound great, the line 6 is the perfect avenue.

direct recording is easier and sounds better with line 6 too. i tried the mark iv head direct and it sounded like crap. if i was using mic's of course the mark would sound better, provided it had the right environment and was warmed up.

the bottom line 6 (ahahahahahahah pun intended ) is that the line 6 amps are beyond perfect for the gigging musician who wants to sound great and doesnt want to bring a ****load of gear with him/her.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , amp settings , amp tone , basswood body , bogner ecstacy , boost pedal , bridge position , button footswitch , clean tone , darren wilson , death metal , distorted tone , distorted tones , dual rectifier , dual recto , egnater tol , electric guitar , eric johnson , flextone iii , gain knob , guitar mag , guitar shop , jackson dinky , les paul , les pauls , limp bizkit , local guitar shop , maple neck , marshall amp , marshall mode four , marshall valvestate , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa mark , mesa nomad , mesa power amp , mesa rectifier , michael romeo , mike keneally , modded marshall , pearl jam , pedal board , pickup selection , pickup selector switch , pickup switch , pod pro , power amp , practice amp , robben ford , ron thal , scott henderson , speaker cab , stomp box , strat tone , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp , tube preamp , volume pedal , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode