Cornford Mk50h arrived yesterday!!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Cornford Mk50h arrived yesterday!!!

Well, impulse buy number xxxxxxx, oh who cares anymore at this point.....

Always wanted one and found one used at a decent price so I jumped and got a Cornford Mk50h. I was torn between that one and their 35 watter, the Hellcat, and discussions with a few dealers and a lot of listening, we wound up agreeing on the Mk50 with some THD Yellowjackets to pull the wattage down and make it class A. All of their amps are point to point, hand built deals, quality is astounding.

(Disclaimer: Yes new gear always sounds good, right?...but this is different).

Holy crap does this thing sound good. I've owned what I considered to be great sounding amps in the past, but I have to say that first impressions are that these guys operate on another level altogether. It definitely has its own thing going on, and it's all good. What little time I've spent, this is a plug a play affair...you can't set this thing wrong. The eq is less sensitive than most amps I've owned, offering minor adjustments. The fundamental "Cornford tone" is available at all times and remains the focal point no matter what you do...this is a good thing, believe me. It's an amp that seems to focus around the character of the mid-range tonal spectrum, and uses the low end and highs to accentuate that fundamental tone. The highs are really really really really smooth and warm, it's almost eerie how they sort of bloom, not even a hint of harshness even when dimed. I was convinced that I needed to switch out the bridge pickup on my PRS hollowbody spruce due its brightness, but after playing it through this amp, it's going to stay. There is a lot of low end available as well, but it doesn't compete with the mids, again sort of weird how well everything works together.

The most shocking thing about it is the sensitivity when using guitar volume and touch when playing. Now all tube amps are capable of this to a degree....but again, this is just different, hard to explain.

I will say that it is a very unforgiving amp which is good in that it will force me to get my act together and quit being so sloppy with dampening and control.

Feels like Christmas

Last edited by Gresh; 06-27-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 PM

Re: Cornford Mk50h arrived yesterday!!!

Hey mate. I've been considering getting a cornford MK50. I've never tried one out but i've played with a Cornford Carrera with my PRS and i loved the tone. Though the low wattage would be loud enough for me for band practices and gigs. Can you get a good amount of gain on this amp? something from a really good clean tone to a metal tone? e.g, Megadeth, Racer X, Savatage and Testament? none of that metalcore stuff.

I like ALOT of mids in my sound any way so from the post you've made it looks like something i would like.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Congratz on your new amp
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Dee

Congrats man, you have a killer amp right there. I would love to own one, if only I had the money for such a beast. One day...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't know that I'd classify it as a metal amp, but it does the modded marshall thing to a tee. Go to Robbalducci.com and listen to his clips from his new album, that's all mk50 and if you need more gain that that then you need to see a doctor.

One thing to note is that it is essentially a one channel amp that has a footswitchable overdrive and master volume control. In order to get it to behave as a two channel amp, you have to hit both switches at the same time, which is easy to do on the footswitch as they are the only two things available to hit. You have to hit the master because if you're going from a cleanish tone to distorted rhythm, just hitting the overdrive gives a huge boost in volume, so if you've got the Master 2 dialed back, you can dial it in to roughly the right level. Then turning off the master 2 gets you a big boost for leads if you want. Does that make sense. It is really simple, but hard to explain.

In order to get enough gain for your tastes, you're going to need to wind up the volume, not the masters, but the channel volume. Then when you kick in the overdrive, it really slams hard. The downside is that having that volume dialed up reduces your available headroom for clean tones....but not to worry. I small adjustment to your guitar volume or a volume pedal running between your guitar and the input section will remove any unwanted dirt and get a great clean tone. It is quite remarkable really.

They are making a two channel mk50 called the MK50II. It's really expensive though, but that solves all of your channel switching woes. I obviously haven't had much time with it yet, but I really don't see any issues with the way this thing is laid out. Normally I would protest not having independent channels, but the tone of this thing and its sensitivity override that completely.

I think the mid heavy approach is a cornford thing, it is very focused on the mid range and that's why they cut so well live. It really has something unique about how the mids work, it is very focused there but it manages to not sound dark at all, if that makes sense. There are clips out there of folks playing these. I'll try to link them to this thread so you can check them out, I won't get to that until later tonight though.

Cheers
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Just saw you are from England, so you prices will be much better. Also check out the Hellcat, which is touted to be more metal-ish, more compressed tone, but still very mid-focused. It is two channels, but wicked expensive over here, well into $3200 or so. The Mk50 is around $2900 or so, so I would imagine the two channel MK to be somewhere in between, but I think they put in separate eq for each channel so that may bump it over the Hellcat...dunno.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Dee

The MK50H is around £1400 here. That translates to around $2550.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Just saw you are from England, so you prices will be much better. Also check out the Hellcat, which is touted to be more metal-ish, more compressed tone, but still very mid-focused. It is two channels, but wicked expensive over here, well into $3200 or so. The Mk50 is around $2900 or so, so I would imagine the two channel MK to be somewhere in between, but I think they put in separate eq for each channel so that may bump it over the Hellcat...dunno.
Thanks for all that mate. I'll be sure to try one out when i get near one
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 PM

That sounds pretty killer, I bet it'll cut through any mix, even at lower volumes.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 PM

Nice, I'm working my ass off so that I may afford to buy a Hellcat meself.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy
Nice, I'm working my ass off so that I may afford to buy a Hellcat meself.
And he wants it so bad, he broke a dude's arm just to create an opening to get the job

Don't stand in the way of Tommy and his Cornford
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
And he wants it so bad, he broke a dude's arm just to create an opening to get the job

Don't stand in the way of Tommy and his Cornford

I didn't break a guys arm, but him breaking his arm made me get full time work. And yes, don't.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

http://online-discussion.dhenderson....opic.php?t=110

Check out this thread. It has some tone samples of Cornford amps. The only one that I know for sure is a Mk50h is Loose Change.

These were done by Guthrie Govan who, as you will see, is a monstrous player. Some folks have heard of him, but he's pretty hard to come by since he doesn't have a record out yet. At any rate, he's a Cornford endorsee. Enjoy.

Where this is linked to might require you to register on their forum to get to these clips
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:44 AM

Reviews: 2

Considered to buy myself a Cornford too some time ago. Have been in contact with Amy at Cornford who offered me the MKII head for 3200 Euro or 5000$. That price was 500 Euro over the prices they sold it for in the stores. "Unfortunately" the strores where in short supply for the heads which she tried to exploit . All in all i received an impression of her as being greedy and arrogant. In my book thats not a good combination.
So i will never buy a Cornford.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 AM

He does have a record. You can buy his CD from Cornford, among other places. I placed an order with them over a month ago, however, and did not receive my CD or answer to my emails. After seeing this thread I've filed a PayPal complaint. They may make good amps, but their business practices seem inconsistent.

Anyway, congrats on the new amp!

Tags
bridge pickup , clean tone , guthrie govan , guthrie govan album , modded marshall , tube amp , tube amps , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode