could it be a power issue? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

could it be a power issue?

A couple of weeks I traded my Peavey Delta Blues 210 for an older Bugera 6262. While everything sounds great with the new amp I've noticed some oddities, probably more now with a more powerful amp. I noticed this with both amps, that sometimes when I turn my amp on to play that I have to turn the volume down because it is signicantly louder then the last time I played, and now playing with a 120w amp vs a 30w amp it makes things worse. Also I've only had this happen twice, but when I turn the reverb on with the footswitch I get a loud static sound (it reminds me of sound that the old TV's made when you went to channel 3 or 4 and there was nothing on).
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting some weird power thing going to the house causing these weird anomalies? I'm going to try some other outlets in the house and maybe take it to the guitar store itself and try it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:04 PM

Re: could it be a power issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
A couple of weeks I traded my Peavey Delta Blues 210 for an older Bugera 6262. While everything sounds great with the new amp I've noticed some oddities, probably more now with a more powerful amp. I noticed this with both amps, that sometimes when I turn my amp on to play that I have to turn the volume down because it is signicantly louder then the last time I played, and now playing with a 120w amp vs a 30w amp it makes things worse. Also I've only had this happen twice, but when I turn the reverb on with the footswitch I get a loud static sound (it reminds me of sound that the old TV's made when you went to channel 3 or 4 and there was nothing on).
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting some weird power thing going to the house causing these weird anomalies? I'm going to try some other outlets in the house and maybe take it to the guitar store itself and try it there.

Might want to make sure your outlets are grounded good, maybe try running an extension cord to a different room or circuit and see if the noise is still there. If your amp has "spring" type reverb like the older amps it could be picking up noise too. The springs can act like an antenna and pick up noise from electric motors, etc... Just a couple of ideas.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM

you could check to see what sort of voltage you are getting. A good power conditioner is going to clean up some of the excess noise and help regulate power. I lived in a old home and there was always an excess of static, and i would occasionally pick up a radio station. dirty power and bad or no grounding will do strange things.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

So I went through the house with my 100' extension cord and it got the same results I even tried a GFS outlet in the bathroom. It is an older house but most of the wiring has been updated, and I have been noticing the amp is picking up radio stations in occasion. I'm not sure what kind of reverb it has. What is a power conditioner can you get one for a reasonable price?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Mah

You know abuot pickups hum (single coils)? Change guitar, guitar cord. Plug in to the outlet of the nearest electrical switchboard and put out from socket everything you can, or better go to a friend. It can be anything. Cold solder, worn tubes, broken ground inside. Some amplifiers have noise regulation. Theme for a technician. I have some noise with high gain and volume. This is normal.
Price of voltage conditioners starts from ~1000 $ everything below are power distributors with some filters - waste of money.
Good Luck

J.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

So I took it to the guitar store today and had them plug it into one of their cabs there was still a hum but we could barely notice until I switched it on to the lead channel on. Took it home plugged it in and the same awful him in both channels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:21 AM

so it sounds like a grounding issue with the amp itself. you could try a hum x or noise gate in the loop. Do you ever get any odd feedback from the amp ? Like the amp isn't turned up too high but every so often you just get feedback ?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

So I picked up an outlet tester and it says I have correct wiring
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

So who wants to kick my as first....I plugged my guitar into the head, with the lead channel on, and I think the noise dropped fifty to sixty percent. Now it doesn't sound like I'm playing next to the power lines. I could have sworn that I plugged a guitar directly into the amp before. Not I need to figure what pedal or cord is causing so much noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode