Couple Questions for playing live - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Couple Questions for playing live

Hey guys, hopeing someone out there can help me with this.

I just got together with a few of my friends, and we're thinking about getting out and about on the local scene. Problem is I have a straight acoustic with no electric imput/output, so I'm going to have to mic the acoustic. I also need to get a mic for when I sing as well. What's everyone's suggestion? Another friend who plays electic suggested the Shure 57 for my acoustic and the Shure 58 for my vocals.

Also, I obviously need to connect the Mics to something. What would everyone's opinion be on a good amp for the acoustic and for the vocal mics? For a live gig, could I just get away with an amp for the acoustic mic, and just go straight into the house PA system for the vocals?

Hope this makes sense, I'm kinda a novice at all the recording/live aspects, more into the actual jamming aspect!!!!!!

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 03:21 AM

I'd send both mic's to the PA. Vocals and the guitar.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 04:37 AM

agree.
get the 57 & 58 mics as they are relatively cheap and very good and reliable mics.
i too would plug them directly to the mixer, as it's easier and cheaper than getting an amp.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 06:26 AM

Great advice. I second it. An amp is unecessary, and them be's two good mics.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 06:36 AM

Cant beat those sure 57/8s
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
Cant beat those sure 57/8s
You shure can't.... sorry, I'm bored.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:55 PM

going a litttle off topic...

I got a great deal on an SM58, and I plan to use it to record. What are the major differences between a 58 and a 57, and are my recordings going to suck because im using a 58?

Im a novice with recording too :P

-Andy

PS- If your looking for your own PA, online and brick and mortar music stores usually sell packages deals...ie powered mixer, speakers, microphones, stands and cables for everything. If you go that route, expect $600-$1000+ range(new).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 01:41 PM

Have you considered a quick mount sound hole pickup? Dean Markley, DiMarzio and other companies have some nice models available. They mount with clamps or clips directly under the strings in the soundhole.

You will need either an amp or a direct box to go into the pa.

Here's a nice Dean Markley unit that our lead vocalist uses on his Martin.

Using a pickup will allow you more freedom on stage. With a mic, you are stuck in one position.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 02:14 PM

you don't want to mic your acoustic for live gigs. Go with the pickup as ScreamJem suggested.

Using a mic, you're stuck in one spot - you cannot move or nobody will hear you anymore. Also, you'll have to crank up the mic to the point of feedback just to barely hear yourself...and if you do move, the mic will definitely feedback.

As far as a vocal mic, it depends on whether you're singing lead or background...if you're just a b'ground guy, a 58 is fine...a 59 is always 'fine'...if you're a lead singer, I'd recommend something better than 'fine'. A beta 58 is an immediate improvement. I LOVE the Sennheiser e835s which are comparable in price to the 58s but sound 10x better.

As far as recording with a 58 or a 57, either one is 'fine', but it's not what I would use to make a recording. You don't have to spend thousands, but you should spend a little.

~K
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:17 PM

This is supposed to be amazing for exactly what you want to accomplish. use this with a vocal mic, a guitar mic and a pup all at the same time if you want.

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearc...2=AG100D&P1=AG

http://www.carvin.com/reviews/ag100drev.html

Tags
dean markley , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode