Crate BlueVoodoo - What do you think of them - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Crate BlueVoodoo - What do you think of them

Ever since Marty Friedman started pushing the Blue Voodoo line by crate (which I believe was made for him), I have always been interested in getting one. Does anyone own one here and what do u think of its tone and capabilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:40 PM

Crate BlueVoodoo

This is your preferance. I'm sure a ton of people here will agree with me when I say "if it has the crate logo on it it's already broken" but there are some cool sounds out there. I wouldn't get one. They break a lot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:28 PM

Crate BlueVoodoo

Well, being someone who owned one, and sold it, I have opinions on this...

The Blue Voodoo was out for about a year before Marty started using them.. Having one of the first ones myself(back when street price was $800) , and hearing him play, I'd say he used a different preamp w/ the BV's power section..

IMO The amp is *very* low-mid heavy, good if you like that, horrible if you don't.. I almost stopped playing altogether when I had this amp, I thought that if I couldn't sound good through a 'tube' amp, I must suck.. I tried everything, eq's, distortion pedals, different cabs, nothing made it sound right to me.. The clean channel is nice, but who wants to pay $800 for an amp, just to run a metalzone through it?

Play the he|| out of it in the store, every type of music you can think of.. This is the only way to tell if you'll like it.. I'd say it would be good for just playing hard rock, but definitely not for thrash, it's all in those low-mids..

Never had one problem with it working, or breaking down, but I just couldn't stand the way it sounded..

If you like the tone, I say go for it, they're a lot cheaper $$-wise than they used to be.. If you wanna sound like Marty, get a Hafler Triple Giant (the one designed by Bogner), and a VHT power amp... That's the closest tone-wise I've heard to his sound..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:27 PM

Crate BlueVoodoo

The Blue Voodoo is a pretty cool amp... I had one for 4 years. It was built like a tank and never gave me any crap whatsoever. I got a tremendous deal on a closeout Blue Voodoo, so I really didn't do any comparison shopping--I bought it because it was really inexpensive (and managed to sell it for more than I paid for it LOL).

I never was able to get used to the tone of the amp myself. Clean channels were great, but there was just never enough gain in the amp for me. It sounded like if it had more gain, it would be a great amp for 80's hair-rock covers. It didn't have as much of the tubey-warmth that you'd expect from an amp with that many tubes in it. Most of the time I owned it I was running either a roland VG-8 or Digitech 2101 through it to get the distorted sounds I wanted.

All in all... it's a nice amp. Just make sure it has the sounds you want. I'd venture to guess that you could buy a decent modelling amp for about the same $, and you'd probably have better tone.

--Brent
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 01:27 AM

Crate BlueVoodoo

Marty and Dave both used highly complex preamp systems designed by Bob Bradshaw. You may see them standing next to Blue Voo Doos and MT2's, but it's Bob Bradshaw that created their sound.

Anyone know what Marty's been up to since he left the band?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Crate BlueVoodoo

Yeah, what is marty up to. Its sad if guitarist like him would just disappear.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:50 AM

Crate BlueVoodoo

I like the tone of the BV series, although I don't have any extensive playing time invested in one. I do own a Vintage Club series, though.

* * I'd have to say that I really prefer the tone of the VC amps (I'm not a metal player). The VC's are really good for blues on up to a great hard rock tone. Also, I haven't heard much regarding reliability problems with the VC series...Mine has been trouble-free for the last four years and it gets used a lot! I have heard some scary stories about the BV series, though. I think it's a matter of getting one of the many 'lemons' out there. If you are lucky enough to get a good one then you're golden.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:51 AM

Crate BlueVoodoo

I owned one of the BV60 1x12s. I agree that it had a decent clean tone and I rather liked the heavy, dark gritty crunch of the gain channel at lower settings. It was a solid enough amplifier, but it didn't seem to excell at any particular sound - I guess the tone was "close but no cigar" in my books. I replaced it as my "small rig combo" with a Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb in the end, and never regretted it (I know, nobody likes the Rocket but me :-). *I think that it sounds better than a solid state amp, so you could do a lot worse for the money. ymmv

Tags
blue voodoo , clean tone , distortion pedal , marty friedman , power amp , solid state amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode