Crate Stealth opinions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Crate Stealth opinions?

I checked harmony central but Id really like to find someone on here that knows stuff about these amps and their sound. Maybe some clips. Is it a good buy? Im currently moving up from a Peavey Pacer, Yamaha G100-112 and a Behring X V-Amp. Bands I listen to are all gawd damn heavy. I like harsh chunky gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Re: Crate Stealth opinions?

Crate = Sh1t

Just look at the Harmony Central reviews.

their only good amp was the Blue Voodoo.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 03:54 PM

I used to know a guy who played a stealth. Absolute crap. I would seriously look elsewhere.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Check out the Laney combos like an LC50 Mk II..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 06:42 PM

The Stealth was a Lee Jackson designed amp, I haven't played one but I have owned a VL-1002 Ampeg which was also a Lee Jackson amp and it rocked. You can probably get one of the VL series Ampegs for a similar price >$400. Peavey Ultra is another heavey amp in that price range. The VTX Peavey are one channel but can be brutal depending on how you set it up.
Laney Aor's are a bit more JCM800ish in the same price range & Carvin MTS heads may also do the trick in that price range.
Good Luck
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I keep hearing they have loads of gain and stuff. I can get one shipped for 400 canadian. All I care about is loads of distortion. I dont care if its warm or harsh, so long as it doesnt sound like a fart. Now harsh would be like some Ensalved songs in my opinion. Mesa being warm. Still, is it a good buy for that much considering it is a tube amp and what I have?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 PM

It doesn't matter how much gain you have, if you have no bottom end, like all crates lack, your gonna sound like ****..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Im putting a 31 band graphic EQ through the effects loop.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 05:47 AM

31? tis a bit much :P
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:28 AM

The Stealth is a big giant ice-pick in the forehead. It is bright to the point of being harsh.

I actually prefer Crate's solid state amps to the Stealth and Blue Voodoo, and I've owned both of them at one tim or another.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

31 is for perfectionists. That's what I am. Im going to down the treble and up the bass to the point of normalizing. I've never owned an amp with an effects loop so that's gonna be fun too. Toshiro, do you have any clips of you playing the amp?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck
31 is for perfectionists. That's what I am. Im going to down the treble and up the bass to the point of normalizing. I've never owned an amp with an effects loop so that's gonna be fun too. Toshiro, do you have any clips of you playing the amp?
Nope, never recorded it. Good luck with that.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Well can anyone recommend a good price to bargin this thing down to? It was just in the shop too. The offer was 325 before the shop and 375 after. He has to ship it to me so I can get it so that's why its 400. Can anyone suggest a good haggle point?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:50 PM

you can EQ your signal all you want, its the amp that has no low end, and the speaker. this amp is a rip off even at $325. you should look into a used all tube Traynor or Laney. Heck even a Marshall Valvestate's better.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 09:47 PM

I have a house full of highend amps and honestly crates are junk. With an exception, I do have a Stealth 50 head and for what it was designed to do it does well. If you like the 80's metal sounds of like Ratt, Dokken etc this amp can nail it. The whole no bottom end is crap. I have a mesa recto half stack right next to this amp and the crate has all the bottom end you could ever need. But know that the crate cab is good for hmmmmmm maybe firewood. The cab blows I run mine through an old 16 ohm marshall 4-12 and it kills that metal sound. I have never gigged with it but I have practiced with it and it was good. Lee Jackson designed the amp so although it says crate on it it was definately not their design and therefore ...thank god sounds nothing like a crate.It sounds more like the 80's marshalls or really like the metaltronix line that Paul Gilbert and some of the other 80's slingers used to play on. It has its uses but is not a one amp do all kind of thing. For the money versus solid state amps I would take the tubes of the crate any day. But this is all just my opinion so take from it what you will.
Sully

Tags
blue voodoo , crate blue voodoo , dual recto , lee jackson , marshall avt , marshall valvestate , mesa recto , paul gilbert , peavey ultra , solid state amp , solid state amps , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode