Cubase help needed :D - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Cubase help needed :D

Ok heres a teaser from me on cubase... until I can get a midi cable I can't really do anything other than record guitar tracks, so I'm just dossing at the moment... What I want to know is... when using the 'click' is there a way of using it when recording so that I can keep in time BUT will not record the click track? without using MIDI??? (i believe if you change the click to midi mode it will go thru a midi instrument click track instead)

So how can it be done???

KeV

learning how much a head ache cubase can give you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:25 AM

Kev, the click can be switched on or off at will. It isn't 'recorded' so it won't be present on any tracks you put down. Just turn off the click before playback.
You can have either a midi-based click(through the synth on your sound card ?audigy whatever) or a nasty 'audio' click/
Double click on the 'click' tab on your control panel, next to the record button.

ps go to the piano roll editor and lay down some midi stuff using the pencil tool-you don't need a midi controller keyboard to do that. You can put down drum tracks in the same way, in the drum editor.

Guy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

thats the thing tho!!! It records the click track!?!?! Regardless of whether or not it is turned on in play back, this is annoying coz my guitar parts will always have the click in the back ground (i mean, If you have a click to keep accuracy, why not use it???)

I've thought about the idea of using a drum beat for a metronome, but then that would mean that i have THAT in the background everytime... which altho it provides a weird type of stereo effect, is a bit of a pain in the ass, coz it makes the drums sound HUGE...

I've tried recording the guitar parts whilest SOLO mode is selected, but that still doesnt make any difference... I've tried recording a metronome track, I've tried setting up a drum loop using the pencil tool (coz of no midi cables,) and still no luck... grrr I either have to use NO click and risking messing up the sync with the different over dubs etc. or have that annoying, click, click, click, click.... etc. add nauseaum in the background of all parts...

cheers for the help anyway...

KeV
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:33 PM

Are you recording the guitar with a microphone ie so that any ambient noise is also recorded? If that is the case I understand your problem. Otherwise cubase doesn't actually record the click from the metronome. If you are recording with a mic I can only suggest placing the mic well away from your computer speakers/monitors, or getting an amp modeller (either hardware such as a POD, or a VST instrument to run in cubase. Alternatively you could record the guitar as a clean signal into the mic or line in hole on your soundcard, and put some od/distortion/etc in cubase as effects, or in real time if your latency is low enough.

Puzzled by metronome though-Cubase shouldn't actually record that..

Hope this is helpful

Guy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

unfortuntely no, im recording direct... and this is quite possibly the oddest problem guitar wise I have ever had...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:57 PM

Check your various input level controls. I'm not sure what OS you're using (Windows?), but if there's a recording volume control somewhere with a "Loop Back" option or something, KILL IT. Turn it off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

I am using Windows yeah, But I can't find the option you mention, in Cubase on the actual control panel there is a button which 'loops' play... but I have this turned off anyhoo...

KeV
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:21 AM

If you have a CreativeLabs card, the 'Record' control panel has a 'What U Hear' option (by which everything audible is recorded through the card's input bus). This is useful if you need to record midi parts onto an audio track, but otherwise make sure it is unchecked, and just have the mic or line-in option checked.

Guy

Tags
drum tracks , midi controller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode