Cubase volume question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Cubase volume question

now this may seem like a silly question to yo pros out there but im only a bedroom recorder so please help!, how do i increase the volume of a track in cubase without using the mixer. i recorded a very low guitar part but now i want to up the volume. i have the mixer set volume at its highest but i want it louder.
thanx
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:23 PM
rfb

Use the wave editor to normalise the audio in that part. This ups the volume till the loudest peak hits 0db, without changing it in any other way.

- rfb
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb
This ups the volume till the loudest peak hits 0db, without changing it in any other way.
- rfb
Wrong. Normalizing will boost the noise floor as well. Especially since the guitar part was recorded low. Normalizing...BAD

Try using a plug-in compressor. Although the noise floor will increase as well, you will have much more control over it. If you don't have plug-ins...normalizing is the only other option over re-recording your part (My vote for the re-recording).
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:35 AM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb
This ups the volume till the loudest peak hits 0db, without changing it in any other way.
- rfb
Wrong. Normalizing will boost the noise floor as well. Especially since the guitar part was recorded low. Normalizing...BAD
Well, the noise floor is part of the recorded part - so it does exactly the same thing as turning up the volume, if he had any more volume left. Which would be what I said, and what he asked for.

- rfb
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb

Well, the noise floor is part of the recorded part - so it does exactly the same thing as turning up the volume, if he had any more volume left. Which would be what I said, and what he asked for.

- rfb
No it's not the same thing. If you understood what normalising does then you wouldn't say that it's the same as turing up the volume. Understanding signal to noise is extremely important here. A normalise function makes everything loud. Loud is fun, but loud noise sucks.

Why would you want to raise the noise floor by the same proportion as the rest of the audio data? That doesn't make any sense.

Keep your options open. If you have plug-ins, use them before running a normalise function. If you don't have plug-ins, then re-record the part and learn how to record properly, or try different mixing techniques.

To quote a good friend of mine on his opinion of normalising: "It is the way to go - if you're gonna listen to it through your ass"

Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

hmmm i dont play on listening to it through my ass
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

play.....DOH!!! i mean plan...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 01:15 PM
rfb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb
No it's not the same thing. If you understood what normalising does then you wouldn't say that it's the same as turing up the volume. Understanding signal to noise is extremely important here. A normalise function makes everything loud. Loud is fun, but loud noise sucks.
Ummm, I do understand what normalising does. It looks like you don't understand what a volume control does (on a playback channel in a digital mixer) - it makes everything that you recorded louder, or quieter, including the noise. A normaliser does this exactly to the point where it would clip if you turn it up any further.

Quote:
Why would you want to raise the noise floor by the same proportion as the rest of the audio data? That doesn't make any sense.
That's what a volume control does, you know. Many people find them useful.

Obviously the best option is to rerecord the part at a better level, and the next best option may well be compression or similar. I'm just answering the question he asked.

- rfb
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:57 PM

Dude

It seems you know better.

Quote:
Ummm, I do understand what normalising does. it makes everything that you recorded louder, or quieter, including the noise. A normaliser does this exactly to the point where it would clip if you turn it up any further.
With the volume control you can ride, ie control the level of noise within a mix. It's linear, More the fader goes up, more the noise goes down & vice versa. Therefore more flexible. Add some EQ and maybe you can EQ it out. Once you have normalized an audio clip you have FORCED the noise floor all the way to the same level of the sound. How can you control more?

Quote:
That's what a volume control does, you know. Many people find them useful
Quote:
It looks like you don't understand what a volume control does (on a playback channel in a digital mixer)
-

Please do not patronize me. Unfortunately, my job as an audio technician sometimes requires me to work with crappy audio files that have to be mixed for TV shows. I know a thing or two here about low level audio. No pro normalises.

Granted you answered his question. I'm just saying there's other possibilities.

Cheers
Pat
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:33 PM

BTW FinnJ

I don't know about all the tracks you have recorded so far, but try this:

You obviously ran out of head room on the guitar channel in the cubase mixer (that's why you can't go any louder).Try pulling the volume down on the other recorded tracks. You'll also have to experiment with level riding using cubase's automation (it does have automation right?)

Good luck

Pat
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 12:05 PM
rfb

Quote:
With the volume control you can ride, ie control the level of noise within a mix. It's linear, More the fader goes up, more the noise goes down & vice versa. Therefore more flexible. Add some EQ and maybe you can EQ it out. Once you have normalized an audio clip you have FORCED the noise floor all the way to the same level of the sound. How can you control more?
Well, by using the volume control. I'm only talking about normalising the audio on the tracks he's recorded the guitar to, track by track, which is trivial to do in Cubase; it's effectively just going to increase the range of his faders so he can get it loud enough.

Quote:
Please do not patronize me.
Well, you started out by claiming I didn't understand what normalising did. I was just responding in kind.

All the best,

- rfb
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Well, you started out by claiming I didn't understand what normalising did. I was just responding in kind.
You are absolutely right. In fact I re-read my post and indeed it too seemed patronizing and for that I apologise. I never meant to insult.

No hard feelings?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 02:00 PM
rfb

Quote:
No hard feelings?
Absolutely none. I apologise too, I need to calm down .

Waiter! Bring me icecream and cuddly kittens!

- rfb
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 04:54 PM

Sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode