Custom build, what parts? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Custom build, what parts?

I am going to start buying a different part every month to eventually put my own guitart toether.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune (more expensive than buying of the shelf I know), just a mid-range guitar.

I know what pickups, trem etc that I'm going to use so that's not a problem, unless you can point me in the right direction to buy them at the right price.

What I don't know is the body and neck?

Where do I buy them from? Should I keep it to genuin Ibanez or are the cmpanies that make them well enough.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by caraloco1; 07-14-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: Custom build, what parts?

That really depends on what style of guitar you want. Plenty of places sell strat/tele style guitar bodies and necks. Warmoth does a lot of necks and there are some custom body maker/sellers listed in the banner above. Beyond that, it's down to what you're looking for in shape, wood, etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I always keep an eye out here when I'm looking for bits. He has a decent stock that updates quite regularly.

http://stores.ebay.com/Boyds-Guitar-Warehouse
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
That really depends on what style of guitar you want. Plenty of places sell strat/tele style guitar bodies and necks. Warmoth does a lot of necks and there are some custom body maker/sellers listed in the banner above. Beyond that, it's down to what you're looking for in shape, wood, etc.
I guess really im not to sure what to go for. I want the ibanez style body (RG). At the moment i'm not getting to well with the trem as my right hand rests a bit funny as I like all my fingers scrunched up and I seem to push the trem down putting things out of tune. So i need either with no trem or lock it out, or may be i will sort out my hand position soon.

What model is good. I don't want anything bottom line but don't need to go to expensive. I have no idea what wood i would want. I like metal and blues playing?

Same with the neck, not to sure, just want something good, 24 frets, and eeasy/fast.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraloco1 View Post
I guess really im not to sure what to go for. I want the ibanez style body (RG). At the moment i'm not getting to well with the trem as my right hand rests a bit funny as I like all my fingers scrunched up and I seem to push the trem down putting things out of tune. So i need either with no trem or lock it out, or may be i will sort out my hand position soon.

What model is good. I don't want anything bottom line but don't need to go to expensive. I have no idea what wood i would want. I like metal and blues playing?

Same with the neck, not to sure, just want something good, 24 frets, and eeasy/fast.
I would go RG270 or up. I rebuilt a 270 and the neck on it is actually amazingly nice after a sand and stock oil conditioning. I have or still do own an RG350, RG450 and RG270 and I can say I liked them all. all these are made of basswood as are alot of Ibbys, even the high end stuff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Reviews: 34

The Ibanez RGA series look good.

If you want a supplier of bodies and necks you should look at Warmoth. I hear good things.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 AM

Warmoth are good, or ET guitars over here in Australia will build you a neck, I've heard VERY good things from him.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM

I am one of the owners of Killer Guitar Components. If you need any help selecting a tremolo, hardware or basically any other part, please feel free to drop me a line. I think you would love the brass block and Killer Claw upgrades we offer. Have a look at the reviews of them in the review section here on Jemsite.

Tags
custom build guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode