Ibanez JEM Forum banner

DAW’s

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  webmaestro 
#1 ·
I bought an Eleven Rack 7 years ago and have been using ProTools ever since. (I no longer have the Eleven Rack.) AVID, the company that makes ProTools, sent out an email In late September saying ProTools will not work with macOS Catalina. They followed up with another email saying AVID Link will not work with iOS 13. Oh, back in July, AVID sent out an email explaining they would be increasing prices on certain products and not others. As a result, my ProTools Subscription doubled.

When a company charges more money for a product, then tells you that product will not work, and have made little progress in making it work, but find the time to significantly improve the Video Engine (4K UHD playback, separation of frame rate and resolution) of an audio program, it can rub you the wrong way. I am not sure what will happen if I do not renew my subscription because I have already upgraded ProTools to the latest version. It is on my computer. Once it becomes compatible with Catalina I wonder if it will work?

Just in case, what DAW do you use?

#3 ·
Re: DAW's

I use Reaper and it does everything I need a DAW to do... Which is pretty rudimentary compared to pro level recording musicians. It's free to try out and there is a lot of support if you have trouble getting started with it, but I find it very intuitive.
Thank you! I figure giving Reaper a try is inevitable. :smile2:

#7 ·
I've been using Cubase since about 2002 ish, always got on well with it so no reason to change. I upgraded to Cubase 10 this year, was using Cubase 5 before that. I didn't really want to upgrade, but when I switched to a Win 10 system it just didn't want to run Cubase 5 properly, quite poor performance on the whole so the only real way to fix it was to upgrade to C10, felt a little salty about that but it's whatever.

#9 · (Edited)

Well, I think I may be stuck with ProTools for another year because if I want to access anything that primarily exists as a Session (rather than a Bounced file), I need ProTools. In order to switch DAW's, I think you need to concurrently start with the new DAW while finishing with the old DAW.

As a side note, I have a mono cassette tape recorder that works and actually sounds better than it one would think. I ordered some blank cassettes (2) and will try recording with those. I have no expectations because it is something I've never really done.

Reaper is pretty cool. 😎

#11 ·
Reaper can do quite a bit. I’m rather impressed! I have choices to make...
As an aside, macOS Catalina has caused problems for quite a few audio companies and only audio companies. I want to say 40+. Any knowledge as to how and why? I know there is a new security process used to approve an app or program but this update has been unusually problematic for the musical people.

#12 ·

Reaper can do quite a bit. I'm rather impressed! I have choices to make...
As an aside, macOS Catalina has caused problems for quite a few audio companies and only audio companies. I want to say 40+. Any knowledge as to how and why? I know there is a new security process used to approve an app or program but this update has been unusually problematic for the musical people.
I do a lot of work in scientific illustration and computational biophysics and the Catalina update is causing a huge amount of grief with most of my colleagues. Apparently there is an issue with OpenGL support or a complete lack thereof, which is pretty poor considering the beef Apple has with nVidia and a refusal to use their graphics cards that support CUDA acceleration, this is a big deal for people who use Adobe products like premiere pro. CUDA acceleration is a great advantage to have access to. SO if you can't use CUDA acceleration and you can't use OpenGL acceleration, then "no acceleration for you"!!

Really not sure what Apple are playing at with this one, they are marginalizing some of their most historically devoted users, i.e. content creators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.