DAW’s - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

6Likes
  • 3 Post By FireEagle
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By pteropid
  • 1 Post By webmaestro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

DAW’s

I bought an Eleven Rack 7 years ago and have been using ProTools ever since. (I no longer have the Eleven Rack.) AVID, the company that makes ProTools, sent out an email In late September saying ProTools will not work with macOS Catalina. They followed up with another email saying AVID Link will not work with iOS 13. Oh, back in July, AVID sent out an email explaining they would be increasing prices on certain products and not others. As a result, my ProTools Subscription doubled.

When a company charges more money for a product, then tells you that product will not work, and have made little progress in making it work, but find the time to significantly improve the Video Engine (4K UHD playback, separation of frame rate and resolution) of an audio program, it can rub you the wrong way. I am not sure what will happen if I do not renew my subscription because I have already upgraded ProTools to the latest version. It is on my computer. Once it becomes compatible with Catalina I wonder if it will work?

Just in case, what DAW do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Re: DAW’s

I use Reaper and it does everything I need a DAW to do... Which is pretty rudimentary compared to pro level recording musicians. It's free to try out and there is a lot of support if you have trouble getting started with it, but I find it very intuitive.
FireEagle is online  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I use Reaper and it does everything I need a DAW to do... Which is pretty rudimentary compared to pro level recording musicians. It's free to try out and there is a lot of support if you have trouble getting started with it, but I find it very intuitive.
Thank you! I figure giving Reaper a try is inevitable.
FireEagle likes this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:35 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
same here...i only use reaper...d.m.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:04 PM

+1 Reaper for me!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Contributor

I use Ableton Live for creative/exploratory stuff (expanding on riffs, working on drum loops, practicing etc) but then I move across to Reaper for doing the real/final stuff.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 PM

I've been using Cubase since about 2002 ish, always got on well with it so no reason to change. I upgraded to Cubase 10 this year, was using Cubase 5 before that. I didn't really want to upgrade, but when I switched to a Win 10 system it just didn't want to run Cubase 5 properly, quite poor performance on the whole so the only real way to fix it was to upgrade to C10, felt a little salty about that but it's whatever.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 6

same here, Reaper
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, I think I may be stuck with ProTools for another year because if I want to access anything that primarily exists as a Session (rather than a Bounced file), I need ProTools. In order to switch DAW's, I think you need to concurrently start with the new DAW while finishing with the old DAW.

As a side note, I have a mono cassette tape recorder that works and actually sounds better than it one would think. I ordered some blank cassettes (2) and will try recording with those. I have no expectations because it is something I've never really done.

Reaper is pretty cool. 😎

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 11-23-2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Comment on Reaper
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 04:49 AM

Logged in to say Reaper again in this thread.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Reaper can do quite a bit. I’m rather impressed! I have choices to make...
As an aside, macOS Catalina has caused problems for quite a few audio companies and only audio companies. I want to say 40+. Any knowledge as to how and why? I know there is a new security process used to approve an app or program but this update has been unusually problematic for the musical people.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 02:08 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Reaper can do quite a bit. I’m rather impressed! I have choices to make...
As an aside, macOS Catalina has caused problems for quite a few audio companies and only audio companies. I want to say 40+. Any knowledge as to how and why? I know there is a new security process used to approve an app or program but this update has been unusually problematic for the musical people.

I do a lot of work in scientific illustration and computational biophysics and the Catalina update is causing a huge amount of grief with most of my colleagues. Apparently there is an issue with OpenGL support or a complete lack thereof, which is pretty poor considering the beef Apple has with nVidia and a refusal to use their graphics cards that support CUDA acceleration, this is a big deal for people who use Adobe products like premiere pro. CUDA acceleration is a great advantage to have access to. SO if you can't use CUDA acceleration and you can't use OpenGL acceleration, then "no acceleration for you"!!

Really not sure what Apple are playing at with this one, they are marginalizing some of their most historically devoted users, i.e. content creators.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
I do a lot of work in scientific illustration and computational biophysics and the Catalina update is causing a huge amount of grief with most of my colleagues. Apparently there is an issue with OpenGL support or a complete lack thereof, which is pretty poor considering the beef Apple has with nVidia and a refusal to use their graphics cards that support CUDA acceleration, this is a big deal for people who use Adobe products like premiere pro. CUDA acceleration is a great advantage to have access to. SO if you can't use CUDA acceleration and you can't use OpenGL acceleration, then "no acceleration for you"!!

Really not sure what Apple are playing at with this one, they are marginalizing some of their most historically devoted users, i.e. content creators.
It sounds like you understand the problems on your end pretty well. Eventide said there might be problems with their plug-ins because of a new notarization process Apple requires. They took care of it and everything was fine. AVID basically said “all our programs (ProTools, Sibelius, and Media Composer) are not compatible with macOS Catalina.” They later said they were “working hard” to resolve these compatibility issues. Admittedly, one thing did change. When I try to open ProTools I no longer get an error message that I can “report to Apple.” Now, I get a more official message saying ProTools is not compatible with the option to click OK of More Info. When I click More Info I am taken to a webpage that hasn’t been built yet. When I click OK, the window closes. I do get notifications to renew my subscription though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 08:00 PM

Another vote for Reaper. It's all I used for many years.

Disclaimer: I recently switched to Logic Pro X when I bought my new iMac. Though I'm really liking Logic and probably won't go back to Reaper, I'd still recommend Reaper to anyone who's curious about it and/or on a budget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode