Dead Zoom G7.1ut - looking for anything to save it - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Dead Zoom G7.1ut - looking for anything to save it

As the community proven itself to be extremely helpful, I've decided to come here with my another issue. I have quite old Zoom G7 which I bought used. It worked fine for a first few months, but then it started to have problems when turning on. It was getting more and more irritating to the point it won't boot anymore. I've written a quite comprehensive summary of the problem, that I am going to mail to any Zoom support on earth I can find.

Perhaps someone was able to solve such problems?

Current state:
  • Normal booting (just turning up):
    The screen is backlit, the tube glows and the unit is recognized as USB soundcard
  • Factory reset mode (Store/Swap pressed)
    Behaves same as above
  • Check(maintenance?) mode (Exit + System pressed when turning up)
    Everything works, except clicking "Page" button shows PAGE at the top (I figured it's a correct behaviour).
    The second line of the screen states "Flash Write Err", and the LCD has "nG" letters.
  • Firmware update mode (System + Store/Swap)
    When prompted, it tries to send or receive patches from another zoom (my MIDI cable lights up).
    Software updater version 1.06 is able to see it ("RomSys Revision 9031").

When I click "Execute", it changes to "Saving your patches...error".

I was kinda hopeless and trying to get it as far as I can, so I've decompiled the updater to C# code,
    And set a breakpoint on the patch saving function. It did fail indeed (no proper response from the device,
    I think). I commented it out (I don't care about the patches, obviously), and the next function was promising
    ClearChip. When it was issued, the G7 screen showed "erase error" on the bottom line. I couldn't get any further.

I have also noticed that when booted, the LEDs next to big metal switches flash very quickly (as it was constantly rebooting,
    perhaps), and the device is sending something via midi constantly (my cable flashes).

• Additional info
    The service mode reports on A button :
    G7 V1.01 R9031
    CRC : 3D78B445

And on B button :
    G7F V1.061.056 R
    CRC : AB61BFC7

I kind of realize that this might be a lost cause, but I want to try everything I can first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Dead Zoom G7.1ut - looking for anything to save it

Have you accidentally plugged the incorrect voltage and/or polarity power supply in to the unit? Chances are one or more of the chips on board are fried. That would be my guess.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 AM

Reviews: 18

I would check with Zoom to see if they can suggest an authorized repair center in your area.

Jimmy
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

I have contacted Zoom support, and the guy there was really nice. He said he will try to estimate the cost of repairs, before I send it to them. I might be better off with just a new unit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:23 PM

I know this is an old forum but. Are you still having problems with your G7.1ut, if so i have a simple repair
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:28 PM

I had to reload the firmware on my G7.1ut continuously about thirty times. I also downloaded the firmware update each time. It fixed my restarting problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Sorry for raising the thread from the dead, but..

I also have a problem with my pedal and I am in need of the firmware updater for the G7.1ut..

I have already emailed both Zoom-NA and Zoom (Japan) said they no longer have the firmware zip (I believe it is called either "E_G7Updater.zip" or ""E_G7Updater106.zip"), so it looks like someone that might still have the file would be my only hope..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I do still have decompiled sources for the G7 updater. I'd post them to GitHub, but I'm afraid of the licensing issues. I could try to revert my modifications and build a binary for you, but I'd need an email or something.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Hi,

Did you manage to save your G7.1ut? I'm having exactly the same problem as yours. Can you share your firmware update tools? Thanks

Last edited by kwlee; 06-15-2019 at 04:04 AM.

Tags
effects board , g7.1ut , repair , zoom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode