Decent budget tube amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Decent budget tube amp?

I'm looking for some advices on a decent tube amp for jamming with the band. Around 30-50W should be enough I guess.

I have been looking at Laney LC30, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Valveking and they seem like interesting choices. A Bugera 333-212 is really cheap new and has loads of power, but does this china amp sound any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:25 PM

Re: Decent budget tube amp?

Check these out,

Jet City Amps. (Soldano)

You might be interested
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Hello friend,

Laney is always a good choice. But IMO you missed out the best one, the blackstar HT-5 :O)
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Reviews: 6

The Classic 30 is a great amp, but what style will you be playing? That could factor into the advice. I love my Classic 20.

I've played a couple of Bugera heads, but I haven't been blown away unless it was played through a better cab -- Like a Mesa cab or something of that ilk. Lots of punch though. Also, I think 50 watts (or even less) is more appropriate for a combo.

The best solution is always to try before you buy.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Depends on what's your price range?
Used Laney AOR
Used Yamaha T-50 or 100 (Designed by Soldano)
Used Carvin Legacy or X100b
Used Fender Supersonic Combo

Also just depends on what type of music you play.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM

definitely depends on what style you are playing. the peavey classic is a great blues amp. the cleans are nice and chimey, especially if you switch out the blue marvel speaker with something better (i liked the redcoat in this amp).

i have the laney lc30 and it is also a great little combo too. nice vox like cleans and decent gain. it can do hard rock and blues quite well. it's slightly pricier than the classic.

my fave is the blackstar. i've got the 5w and 20w head (both come in combos and there is also a 40w combo) and the tone out of these amps is amazing, especially for hard rock and metal. the clean on the 5w is ok, but it's much better on the 20w.

anyway, try before you buy. most of these amps are in the $500 - $800 range new, $300 - $600 used.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Reviews: 120

Blackstar, try, love, buy!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers, definitely got to look those up.

I don't know if it's possible but I would like to find one that can do a vintage tone for hendrix songs etc. and at the same a more agressive tone for hard rock like van halen.
I don't really need any good clean sound because I don't use it so often. Same goes for any massive distortion like for metal.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM

I'd look into the Egnater Tweaker - I tried one a few days ago and it sounds amazing.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veckans View Post
Thanks for all the answers, definitely got to look those up.

I don't know if it's possible but I would like to find one that can do a vintage tone for hendrix songs etc. and at the same a more agressive tone for hard rock like van halen.
I don't really need any good clean sound because I don't use it so often. Same goes for any massive distortion like for metal.
The Peavey Classic 30 would handle that, with nice cleans as well.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Reviews: 120

Go the Blackstar HT-20 then. Has plenty of gain on tap, so you will be able to cover the tones you are after. Plenty of volume too.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:04 AM

I know it's not tube, but i think the peavey bandit is DEFINETLY worth checking out, 80w, and you can pick them up for about £100 on e bay. They arn't tube but they have transtube technology, and quite frankley i can't tell the difference.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Reviews: 39

I personally really like the Valveking. The 60 watt version is great for home, the 100 2x12 if you need to gig out or power an extra 4x12. I tried out the Egnater Tweaker and it has lots of overdrive tones, but thats it; the clean is very bland and nothing past drive. I wasn't very impressed. It never got into modern territory. My Tiny Terror has more gain on tap.

http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...o-amp/reviews/

LonePhantom and many others love the Blackstar stuff (I still haven't tested it, but the youtube vids certainly sound awesome!)

http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...ombo-/reviews/

Both amps have their +/- so check em out. Can't go wrong with all tube goodness!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Laney LC15R, it's a little monster that takes pedals well too and you can really crank it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 59

+1 to the Blackstar HT20 and the Egnater Tweaker. If you're looking to gig with it, the Blackstar because of the channel switching.
The Tweaker is fantastic but only one channel and no footswitching.
I also love the Classic 30 for a blues/rock amp. With some pedals, it'll do almost anything.
I'd also give a look at the 20 watt version of the Fender Supersonic. I don't know if it would be really good for gigging (unless they fixed some of the loudness issues that the 60 watt version had where it fell apart at higher volumes) but it's worth a look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode