Decent Monitors For Mixing? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leeds U.K
Posts: 143
Decent Monitors For Mixing?

I'm in need of some monitors so that I can mix my Pro Tools sessions on something with a flat response, instead of my bassy headphones.
I've got about 200 to spend. What's the best I'm going to get for that price?
Mars Volta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

flat response for 200? that's a tall order! you really need to look at the room and mix position where mix. room tratments mean more off the bat than your monitors. that said, if you have 200 to spend, save another 100 and then get some thing. the typical way to look at monitors is: look at your budget, double it and then buy. for the cash, the krk rp series is phenomenal. i own a pair of rp8 and rp5. simply amazing. where i sit, though, is flat. i have tuned it as such with room treatments(foam and bass trapping) and measuring and eq. my mixes have become better translating to the real world. if you have a crappy room where you mix, genelecs and tannoys won't help you. if you have a great sounding room, a pair of m-audio dx-4 will be pretty good. just some things to consider.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 2,325
Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

A good rule of thumb for mixing sound is to place mirrors directly where your monitors will sit, whatever is directly seen in the mirror are your immediate problem areas (bare walls, pictures, etc)...Room/wall treatments should begin in these spots. I also like to keep a cheap portable cd player handy to check the sound quality before finishing. You can also go to your local big music shop and try demoing a few different ones, and then go look for something comparable in the used variety...
DEADTUNES666 is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

for a brief introduction into room acoustics...


http://www.youtube.com/user/EthanWiner

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 695
Reviews: 2
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Are you mixing your own stuff at home or are you trying to get a studio going? Because if you're just mixing at home spend the $200 on a nice pair of Beyerdynamics or AKGs. You can mix at anytime that way, you don't have to worry about room sound and since most people listen to music on headphones nowadays anyways your mixing for your audience.
AxeHappy is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 45
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

+1 AKG 240'S

Killer phones.

I have a set of Mackie 824's and a pair of behringer ma6's that cost like $60 for the pair.
I love the cheap little behringers.
OklaStar is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
Are you mixing your own stuff at home or are you trying to get a studio going? Because if you're just mixing at home spend the $200 on a nice pair of Beyerdynamics or AKGs. You can mix at anytime that way, you don't have to worry about room sound and since most people listen to music on headphones nowadays anyways your mixing for your audience.
not necessarily. most people listen in the car as well. i personally don't do much listening with head phones and very little mixing with headphones. the few times i put headphones on are to track vox and drums. the other is to edit tracks to surgically get rid of excess noise. headphones are really misleading as most tend to be hyped in the highs or lows, sometimes both. a large majority of professional mixing and mastering engineers are firmly against mixing with headphones. you lose a lot of the feeling of the music, especially how the low end actually hits you. it is always preferred to mix live in a tuned room. given that most of us don't have this lixury, we can strive to make our listening/mix positions as pleasant as possible. i am not trying to be an elitist, just been down that road and have learned alot of hard and expensive lessons along the way.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Moderator
 
jemaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,848
Reviews: 1
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Behringer Truth near-field monitors. Best bang for the buck with a huge sweet spot.
jemaholic is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 695
Reviews: 2
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
not necessarily. most people listen in the car as well. i personally don't do much listening with head phones and very little mixing with headphones. the few times i put headphones on are to track vox and drums. the other is to edit tracks to surgically get rid of excess noise. headphones are really misleading as most tend to be hyped in the highs or lows, sometimes both. a large majority of professional mixing and mastering engineers are firmly against mixing with headphones. you lose a lot of the feeling of the music, especially how the low end actually hits you. it is always preferred to mix live in a tuned room. given that most of us don't have this lixury, we can strive to make our listening/mix positions as pleasant as possible. i am not trying to be an elitist, just been down that road and have learned alot of hard and expensive lessons along the way.

rich
And most car stereo's aren't any better than a good pair of headphones .

I think comparing what somebody in a million dollar+ studio to somebody recording at home (possibly just for his band) needs. Remember my first question was if he was just recording himself.

Now, I personally hate listening to music on head phones for many of the reasons you have listed but you can get a great pair of headphones that will give better transparency for less than a quarter of the price of a good pair of near fields.


I agree with you in prinicipal and in theory, but the dude probably doesn't know how to tune a room etc... and I like to have my music good and loud when mixing (as befits heavy metal) and monitors would just be too loud for most people in a residental area.
AxeHappy is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
And most car stereo's aren't any better than a good pair of headphones .
exactly. i don't want the guy to think that he has got to spend tons of cash to treat his room. i did id for less than $500. it would have been cheaper, but i sprung for auralex roominator kits. he should at least drop $200 into room treatments from foambymail. the 2" wedge will give the "best" overall broadband absorption/diffusion for the buck.
http://www.foambymail.com/Wedge.html
for under $200, you can get 3 packs of the 1'x1' 2"(4 and cover most any bedroom studio. put some 1"x6" boards in the corners to reduce the bass nodes and you'll have a better listening position immediately. granted it won't be "tuned", but it will get rid of a lot of room anomalies in the room and will make a pair of decent near fields sound great. in turn will allow you to mix at lower levels. this will reduce ear fatigue and make mixing more enjoyable rather than painful. also, budget the auralex monitor stands into the equation, the decoupling of the monitor will give truer bass response and avoid stacking anything on the monitors as that will affect the resonance of the monitors enclosure. basically, about $300 more into room treatments will make a pair of $500 monitors sound like gold. even headphones can't give you this type of sonic pleasure. i have also found that phones have a tendency to tire the ear quicker, we typically listen to head phones way louder than we do live sound. a ton of spl dropped right on the eardrum is not necessarily better. i rough mix pretty low, then go to louder levels once the rough is done just to tweak. kick drum, snare, and guitars usually need to be adjusted at this time. sometimes vox, but not always, it just depends on how forward the vox is and if you left enough room in the spread to have the vox sit in the middle.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 695
Reviews: 2
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Total price you listed is $1000! Guy said he only had 200 pounds which is around $400 if I'm not mistaken!

I got used to working in a studio with Genelecs for near fields and custom designed speakers (with 30 band EQs to tune them after the room had been tuned to create a perfectly flat response) for the big guns with full surround sound capablility and all the bells and whistles you could want. Even a stupid Icon for the console. I am right with you. Monitors will give better sound, create less ear fatigue, give a truer sound and all that jazz. But for the money headphones seemed to be the better option provided he was just trying to record and mix himself/his band and not start a studio.
AxeHappy is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
Total price you listed is $1000! Guy said he only had 200 pounds which is around $400 if I'm not mistaken!

I got used to working in a studio with Genelecs for near fields and custom designed speakers (with 30 band EQs to tune them after the room had been tuned to create a perfectly flat response) for the big guns with full surround sound capablility and all the bells and whistles you could want. Even a stupid Icon for the console. I am right with you. Monitors will give better sound, create less ear fatigue, give a truer sound and all that jazz. But for the money headphones seemed to be the better option provided he was just trying to record and mix himself/his band and not start a studio.
well, for $400, you could still have a great start:
a pair of used krk rp-5(or closeout originals) at $200
2 packs of 2" foam for another $125

around $325.

this would do alot to clean up the mixes and leave room to grow.
i am really just trying to emphasize the importance of the room on the effect of the monitoring chain. most people just think that a new pair of monitors will magically fix their mixes. this is only a part of the real solution.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

btw, i use an eq and pink noise with a reference mic to flatten my room after i treated it. turned a good mix position into a great mix position.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in Ohio
Posts: 219
Reviews: 1
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

I did my room with 2" crate foam and 2'x4' x 4" thick rock wool, and the corners in 18" triangles 6 ft allthe way down from the cieling... best thing I ever did to that room, itchy as hell though during the process i have like, 10 or 12 of these things on my walls and the room is pretty dead but the wood floor and cieling keep from being tooooo dead
I also recommend the Yamaha HSM80s... they seemed flatter than the KRKs to me... but I am NOT arguing with Rich
manfromplanetX is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Decent Monitors For Mixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromplanetX View Post
I did my room with 2" crate foam and 2'x4' x 4" thick rock wool, and the corners in 18" triangles 6 ft allthe way down from the cieling... best thing I ever did to that room, itchy as hell though during the process i have like, 10 or 12 of these things on my walls and the room is pretty dead but the wood floor and cieling keep from being tooooo dead
I also recommend the Yamaha HSM80s... they seemed flatter than the KRKs to me... but I am NOT arguing with Rich
eh, monitor preference just really comes down to nit picking, who's to say that an evo really sounds better than a tone zone or jb? it's really your ears which will decide in the end. i will say that having a flat room has made my ear extremely picky on mixing/listening in general. so no offense taken at all, larry. yamaha makes great monitors, granted the old ns10's are not one of them, but people out there still love them. i personally have never heard a pair, but from what the specs read are far from flat. so a tuned room with the right monitors will go along way. actually, i have really been thinking about upgrading my monitors to tannoys or adams. gotta couple more things to get before i do that upgrade. it's actually funny, when i went in and got my krk's, i was looking at m-audio bx5a's. my budget at that time wasn't a lot and having went in on president's day, they were having a sale. the rp-8's were $150 each, which is what the bx5a's were. not really knowing the difference, took the plunge on the krk's and when i got home researched them a bit and was blown away at the specs and users roster. since having them, have seen many local studios in and around town using them. i turned my other guitar player onto krk, as he had a pair of st6's(passive) and upgraded to a pair of older v6's. we both run subs in our rigs. i have since bought a pair of rp-5's for my drummer to use. we have them running with a sub for use with my yamaha dtxpress drum kit for rehearsal.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
Reply

Tags
mixing , monitors , pro tools , studio

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixing AH2 with S1 and V7? plugger Pickups & wiring 0 09-16-2008 07:14 AM
Help With My Mixing Console jemaholic Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 1 03-30-2005 12:44 PM
How's My Mixing? Two hands31 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 3 11-25-2004 02:24 AM
Need Help Mixing! Two hands31 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 4 03-02-2004 04:26 PM
Mixing problems keithb Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 4 10-29-2003 09:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome