Delay Units Boss vs Line 6 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Delay Units Boss vs Line 6

I was lookin at getting a good delay/echo unit. Don't know which one I should go for, I played both the Boss DD-20 and the Line 6 Echo Farm or whatever it's called (the pedal). Which do you think sounds better or is built better more importantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 01:41 AM

The line 6 is where it's at.. It does more than most other pedals do and I've been seeing it pop up more and more in rigs everywhere I look. Plus they're extremely durable. I also like how you can lay a lick down and make it repeat over and over, and add to it much like a boomerang pedal. Very cool for backing licks while jamming yourself, or creative points ina 1 guitarist band.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 03:41 AM

The other one that's definitely worth a look is the Yamaha UD Stomp. It's more flexible than the DL-4 by far, but doesn't offer as much loop time, only about 6 seconds. However, the way it works is very clever; 8 separate bands of up to about 700ms delay, each of which is modulatable, has low and high cut filters, tap time, pan, wet/dry level and so on. You can combine bands together to get longer delays, run bands into each other or in parallel... the power is astounding. It does superb choruses, flangers and some really nice reverbs too, all built from those 8 delays.

Well worth a look.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 05:46 AM

Kinda seems redundant, coming from me, but definitely the Line6 I want to pick one up myself once I get some cash.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 3
I'm with BC and Two hands..a good friend of mine uses the DL-4 and the modulation pedal(mm-4?) from line 6 and they both sound great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 06:40 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot-dot-dot
The other one that's definitely worth a look is the Yamaha UD Stomp. It's more flexible than the DL-4 by far, but doesn't offer as much loop time, only about 6 seconds. However, the way it works is very clever; 8 separate bands of up to about 700ms delay, each of which is modulatable, has low and high cut filters, tap time, pan, wet/dry level and so on. You can combine bands together to get longer delays, run bands into each other or in parallel... the power is astounding. It does superb choruses, flangers and some really nice reverbs too, all built from those 8 delays.
Doesn't that get a bit muddy though? No disrespect intended, and I've not tried one myself, but it would seem that all of that from the delays at the same time would get incredibly muddy(especially in the mix of a live playing situation.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 07:34 AM

i have a line 6 dl-4 in my helcat rig and its a cool lil box gives me the diff delays i need for the diff chanels and the auto swell also comes in handy.

ive have no probs with the box and i havent used one thats had better quality delays since i got it
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshred777
Doesn't that get a bit muddy though? No disrespect intended, and I've not tried one myself, but it would seem that all of that from the delays at the same time would get incredibly muddy(especially in the mix of a live playing situation.)
If you whack up the high cut then yes, you can make it quite muddy.

You don't have to have all 8 bands on at the same time - they're mostly there to allow thick choruses, but also work for creating rhythmic delays, with just one echo from each band.

It's all about the flexibility, really. You can make pretty much any delay type sound with the UD - it blows away the DL-4 in terms of power and flexibility, but I'd admit that it's more complex as a result. Not hard to knock up a really good sounding delay though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:00 AM

I also use the DL-4, the green monster. It's big and heavy and absolutely swallows batteries so the power supply or use of Pedal Power 2 is mandatory. Those issues aside, it is a great pedal, I love it. The expression pedal option opens a whole new realm too. Heck, just the looping function is worth at least half of what it costs...wish it had longer time though...bought a loop station because of that.

All in all its a phenomenal delay pedal with tons of flexibility, but it takes up some serious real estate on a pedal board.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:02 PM

?

"It's all about the flexibility, really. You can make pretty much any delay type sound with the UD"

Ummm No. Get the Line 6. there's a reason you see it on just about every pro's rig out there. They're tanks for a pedal so breaking it isn't an issue, and they model after the best delays ever built and then some.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 AM

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShredder
Ummm No. Get the Line 6. there's a reason you see it on just about every pro's rig out there. They're tanks for a pedal so breaking it isn't an issue, and they model after the best delays ever built and then some.
How much time have you spent comparing the DL-4 and the UD Stomp, side-by-side, in person?

Tags
delay pedal , expression pedal , loop station , pedal board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode