Demo'd the JSX mini - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Demo'd the JSX mini

Went to the music store to pick up a delay and tuner pedal. they just got in the jsx mini. ohh baby. plugged a yellow 20th RG into it and that into a 4x12. It wa smokin. you could definatly gig it. we turn it all the way up. it was plenty loud and nice and gainy. sounded exactly like a JSX. they remove the need for eq by making it sound good already. I want one, and a 1x12 cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 PM

Re: Demo'd the JSX mini

love the idea of these fellas. but i wish they could have thought about a quality 30w/50w amp instead. and i realise that satch wanted a tiny amp and heck i love my microcube. i guess its just pie in the sky.

mmmmmmmmmmmm pie
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 PM

So, how did the JSX mini sound at bedroom levels? I live in a small apartment, and have been desperately looking for a small tube combo with a build-in attenuator.

As a side note, I tried the Peavey Royal 8, but it was.....er..... not my taste.
I'm also considering getting an Epi-Valve Jr, and throwing some my pedals in front of it. Based on the You-Tube videos that I've seen/heard of it, it may be the way to go, but I want to try the JSX mini first.

Cheers
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 PM

I'd love to try the little JSX mini, but at the price of roughly AU$500-$600 here, i'm not even going to be tempted to try one out. It's a shame it's so overpriced, i'd definitely consider trying/buying one.

Big Red, the Epi-Valve Jrs are little monsters. Tried one out a few weeks ago and i'll deifintiely be picking one of these up within the next month or so.

BTW, if you didn't already know, don't get the Epi that has the three strips on the front, they have hum issues. Get a two striper.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
I'd love to try the little JSX mini, but at the price of roughly AU$500-$600 here, i'm not even going to be tempted to try one out. It's a shame it's so overpriced, i'd definitely consider trying/buying one.

Big Red, the Epi-Valve Jrs are little monsters. Tried one out a few weeks ago and i'll deifintiely be picking one of these up within the next month or so.

BTW, if you didn't already know, don't get the Epi that has the three strips on the front, they have hum issues. Get a two striper.
What do you mean by strips? Are you talking about the black lines the run across the white faceplate horizontally?

Thanks
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 120

I dunno, I've been interested in the Mini-Colossal, and if you think about it $500-600 for it may be a great deal if it does indeed sound phenomenal. Plus if you can hook it in to a cab and it's loud enough to gig with I'm definitely listening!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 PM

I think it's interesting that a Valve King combo could be had for the same price in Toronto (about $600 CAD). Next time I'm in my local music shop, I'm going to A/B/C the two Peaveys (if the mini is in) and the Epi Valve Jr, and decide from there.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 AM

I tried the JSX regular yesterday. I must have spent a good two hours with it. I got some okay tones out of it, but for the most part, I was severely unimpressed. Cleans were decent, and the gain was too fizzy for my tastes. I got an okay sound on the crunch channel with the fat switch on, but nothing stellar.

I definitely won't be paying $500 for a mini version of it.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 AM

sounds fairly good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPPCZi2osK4

still has that mushy, buzzy sound of a tiny speaker though, might be good on a 2x12..
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I tried the JSX regular yesterday. I must have spent a good two hours with it. I got some okay tones out of it, but for the most part, I was severely unimpressed. Cleans were decent, and the gain was too fizzy for my tastes. I got an okay sound on the crunch channel with the fat switch on, but nothing stellar.

Thank-you for the heads-up on this. Your information is helpful, as usual.

Cheers
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 AM

I' d still try to try it out if I were you, as I know some people here just love the JSX. It just didn't do it for me.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

at bedroom levels? not sure. @ wasn't tempted to run it that low for long. its expensive for a small amp with absolutly no frills. turn it on and turn it up. simple as that. equivilant to a guitar with one pickup and one knob.... that souund great. it wasn't heavy metal chaisaw distortion. but it had that tone that would take a nice overdrive well. the 8 inch speaker is thin sounding at level. but then I was in the amp room wich is big. not the best place to demo a small amp. the gain was smooth and sweet. I suspect that anyone that plugs it into a cab of any kind will find the amp usable. it actually is a multi channel amp. to go from lead tone to ryth to clean, the contols are found not on the floor...but right on your guitar.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Nope, not at bedroom levels.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post

The Mini Colossal is a more vintage-voiced, Class-A amp. Satch used the prototype for the title track on Super Colossal.

For a shredder, you sure seem to like lower-gain gear, waylay.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Yeah you're right, I guess it seems I actually do. I just don't dig alot of these higher gain amps. Most of them just seem way too "buzzy" and "fizzy" for my tastes. I'll take the tone of an overdriven Plexi anyday over a Bogner Uberschall. It just seems more organic to my ears. Look at Andy Timmons' tone on "Deliver Us"...that's the sound I like. It still has a decent amount of gain, but not so much that it's buzzy. On the opposite side, I hate all these "tone boy" amps for these blues purists who think playing with any gain is playing "without soul".

Tags
amp tone , andy timmons , bogner uberschall , charvel evh , heavy metal , jsx combo , jsx head , local music shop , music store , speaker cab , tube combo , tube head , valve king

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode