desperately need amp advice please! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
desperately need amp advice please!

ok so
its time to make a major decision
im getting an amp for my birthday/christmas/next birthday - you get the point, its got to last a long time
so im really planning towards a carvin legacy 2/mesaboogie mark V but my main concern is
being in Australia i cant test the legacy (nowhere has it! and nowhere has the Mark V!)

but, can i achieve that tone vai has on this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y (the jemini pedal video with two steve's)

or on the one of him explaining what he likes to do with a 7 string.

but will i also be able to get dreamtheater, children of bodom, petrucci, Satriani, yngwie, eric johnson, ozzy (possibly), paul gilbert, pantera, nice psychadelic/blues and metal tones?

but the vai kinda spacey sound is the sound i want
but the legacy is like half price compared to the boogie.

also
my signal chain will be

carvin/boogie - Jemini Pedal - Boss Super Chorus - 1981 Ibanez FL9 - Ibanez DD3 - Ibanez Super shifter - Bad horsie 2 wah - Guitar

or i will i have to use effects loop?

thanks guys!

Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM

Re: desperately need amp advice please!

Id go with the mesa. But thats me. I love metallica and I dont think you can really play metallica though a carvin, maybe im wrong. My birthday is around christmas and I am planning on spendin some of that money on a dual rectifier.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM

The Carvin wouldn't give you that array of tones. You would need something versatile, and the Mark V is definitely one of the most versatile amps out there. I say go for that.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 AM

The Carvin is a fine amp, but the versatility of the Mesa is insane. Neither may give you the 'perfect' tone, but you'll definitely get more options from the Mesa.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 AM

I would agree with that. The Mesa will give you a wider tonal pallette.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 PM

Reviews: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
Id go with the mesa. But thats me. I love metallica and I dont think you can really play metallica though a carvin, maybe im wrong. My birthday is around christmas and I am planning on spendin some of that money on a dual rectifier.
If I'm not mistaken Hetfield is using Diezel VH4's as his main amps and blending in some boogie.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 PM

You man also want to look into the Carvin V3. Just a thought... If you're a 6L6 over EL34 guy, it limits your options somewhat...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

hetfield uses boogies mark c2+

but seriously i wanna make sure i get the right amp
im realyl worried
damn my cinicity

cam
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:43 PM

According to YouTube video from 2008 Hetfield's live rig is a JC-120, 4 x TriAxis, and 2 x Diezel VH4.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 AM

Reviews: 120

Are you seriously going to be able to turn those sorts of amps right up to get the tubes hot? Because they are not going to be very good sounding amps at low volume, that's something for you to consider.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
According to YouTube video from 2008 Hetfield's live rig is a JC-120, 4 x TriAxis, and 2 x Diezel VH4.
+1, and modified Triaxis's. blended with Diesels.

Now besides that, if I look at the first names in your list, these have all articulate soloing kinda tone, so I don't think you main concern is Metallica tone right ?

When it comes to versatility btw... I now have again a Legacy I, and rediscovered it. Clean tone is still the best I've heard. Now the lead is really creamy and crunchy, rather mid oriented. However, you absolutely need booster pedals with this amp. And just get several different ones and there is your versatility, switchable at your feet. The base tone of this amp is so openminded to say so, that it takes all kinds of pedals very well.

Also, a MUST is an equalizer, and it's not in your list. This is the ticket to tone shaping to you personal preferences with a Legacy. These things made all the difference for me from not knowing how to handle a Legacy because I didn't know better, to enjoying it now a lot more.

Unless you care for the Legacy II's lite crunch channel, I'd rather go to a Legacy I, you can find these for really nice prices and seem to have a better clean than a II. Their clean also takes distortions well, so a Satchurator or Line6 Ubermetal give you tickets to amazing tones aw well for very affordable prices.

check these pages for Legacy Clips, a lot of material:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5271448
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

and make your calcutations: what is the cost of a Mark IV, a Legacy I with sh*tload of different pedals etc...

ah yes... and fideling around with some preamp tubes in a Legacy seem to be a must as well, I just ordere some aorund 15$ a piece to have fun.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

i think getting a legacy 1 is a good option
but a 2 can do 25/50 watt so i may save the extra thou

cam
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

ok
dad's not really willing to let me pay my bank - he says get a cheaper amp
ive just discovered the peavey 3120
!!!
apparently it blows the hell out of a mk iv (http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=61446)

clean channel sounds nice
and 999 american lit price - thats liek 1.2 grand here in aus - then i could buy a 2x12 combo (what type, mesa, carvin or what?)
and thatll be liek 2 grand
so like 300-500 on pedlas
and yes i tried an equaliser today!
ultimate tool!
where should it go in my signal chain
and ive old my boss gt8 might pick up a tc electronics - effectrs thing

cam
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 AM

^That's one person's opinion compared to thousands of positive reviews for the Mark IV. The Mark is going to be a more worthwhile investment as its versatility while be the root of your longevity owning it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier 7 View Post
^That's one person's opinion compared to thousands of positive reviews for the Mark IV. The Mark is going to be a more worthwhile investment as its versatility while be the root of your longevity owning it.
+1.

And really, check Legacy I prices, you can get these used but great condition for about half of the price these peaveys are set if you're on a tight budget.

Tags
boogie , legacy , mesa , petrucci , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode