Difference between Peavey JSX and Classic 30? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Difference between Peavey JSX and Classic 30?

Noob question time.

I will probably want to buy my first tube amp soon. I am very intrigued with the Peavey Classic 30, and especially after reading ts0511's comments recently.

My question is what does an expensive larger amp like a JSX (head or combo) give you that the Classic 30 doesn't? Just extra loudness? I realize the JSX probably has extra "features" of some sort, but if all you'd like is some nice Satch-like tones and be able to plug in some pedals, is there anything the Classic 30 couldn't do?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Re: Difference between Peavey JSX and Classic 30?

the JSX crunch channel is built on the Classic 30 dirty channel so they sound VERY VERY similar. The only main difference is the JSX has an active EQ and the Classic 30 has a passive EQ. Active just means you'll have more control over shaping your tone because when you turn say the mid knob, it affects some of the surrounding frequencies not just say 350hz.

The JSX clean channel is also built on the Classic 30 and retains a passive EQ I believe. Only main difference is the amount of headroom (volume to distort) on the JSX is higher, meaning you'll be able to turn the JSX up louder and still retain a more clean sound.

The JSX also has an ultra channel which has tons and tons of gain, which can be good if you like that sorta thing.

All in all, the Classic 30 can probably do 90% of what the clean/crunch channel of the JSX can do. The JSX just has an extra channel, slightly different EQ section and a powerhouse 3rd channel. JSX also has a variable noise gate.

I'd say buy a JSX it's more versatile, but just buy whatever your budget can afford. The Classic 30 is by no means a slouch in the amp department.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! That kind of info is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, is there any notable performance or feature differences between the JSX head and combo, or are they basically identical?

Based on budget, I'd probably lean towards buying the Classic 30. But we'll see...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM

the head and combo are exactly the same except the combo has a reverb tank, a 1/2 power switch and speakers (JSX speakers) where as the head is minus-reverb and minus- 1/2 power switch. You can run any cab you want with the head (1x12, 2x12, 4x12 etc).

the combo still has the power to run another cabinet in conjunction with the internal speakers so it's not like you can't make the combo powerful.

the 1/2 power switch is overrated because you can just pull out 2 tubes on the head to perform the same task, the combo just makes it easier by flicking a switch instead of pulling tubes out.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Ive been looking at these two, but man its just so expensive!
I cant believe the massive price jump between the two. You can get a Classic 30 for around £300 and the JSX is £1200 for what? A slightly better EQ' an extra channel and presumable better speakers.

Anyway. Would the Classic 30 do 80's rock tones? Say, Poison and Skid Row?? and would it be quite enough for bedroom playing?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Difference between Peavey JSX and Classic 30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire View Post
the JSX crunch channel is built on the Classic 30 dirty channel so they sound VERY VERY similar. The only main difference is the JSX has an active EQ and the Classic 30 has a passive EQ. Active just means you'll have more control over shaping your tone because when you turn say the mid knob, it affects some of the surrounding frequencies not just say 350hz.

The JSX clean channel is also built on the Classic 30 and retains a passive EQ I believe. Only main difference is the amount of headroom (volume to distort) on the JSX is higher, meaning you'll be able to turn the JSX up louder and still retain a more clean sound.

The JSX also has an ultra channel which has tons and tons of gain, which can be good if you like that sorta thing.

All in all, the Classic 30 can probably do 90% of what the clean/crunch channel of the JSX can do. The JSX just has an extra channel, slightly different EQ section and a powerhouse 3rd channel. JSX also has a variable noise gate.

I'd say buy a JSX it's more versatile, but just buy whatever your budget can afford. The Classic 30 is by no means a slouch in the amp department.

Are you completely sure of what you're talking about vampire?

http://www.***************.com/document?doc_id=93068

the link is at musicians friend btw
Jimmy
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

(I posted this on another JSX thread, thought it might be helpful here as well)

Here's a nice JSX clip I made a while back on my JSX review.

Played on my PRS Tremonti SE

http://www.christianbattleofthebands...0tuned%201.mp3

another clip. This one with Prestige 2620

http://www.christianbattleofthebands...%20WET%201.mp3
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmaman View Post
Ive been looking at these two, but man its just so expensive!
I cant believe the massive price jump between the two. You can get a Classic 30 for around £300 and the JSX is £1200 for what? A slightly better EQ' an extra channel and presumable better speakers.

Anyway. Would the Classic 30 do 80's rock tones? Say, Poison and Skid Row?? and would it be quite enough for bedroom playing?
The Classic 30 is very versatile. I just bought mine about a week ago. It's my first tube amp and I am astonished at how awesome this amp is. The Classic 30 has quite a reputation following it. It just oozes tone. It will most certainly do 80's rock tones. You may want to put a stomp box in front of it if you need a little additional gain but this amp sounds super. And, ...I'm mostly into those 80's sounds so, ...it makes me happy.

I can't speak to the JSX except to say that I was very seriously considering buying one. What turned me off was the back-breaking weight of the thing. I can throw, ...sorry, softly place my Classic 30 in the passenger's seat of my truck and it is the perfect size to haul around. It weighs less, or seems to be easier to carry than my Line6 Flextone III 1x12 was by far. It is most certainly plenty loud for gigging unless you are doing a stadium and need a wall of sound, ...in which case you buy another classic 30 and plug the into some extension cabs. I hear that if you plug the classic 30 into a 4x12, ...you're in for a big surprise!

Good luck. Sorry if I am a little biased here, ...I'm just so darned excited about this amp! It rocks.

Oh yeah, ...if the Classic 30 breaks up too soon for you and doesn't have the headroom you want, ...all ya gotta do is take it down to a local shop and explain that to them and they can help you pick out a replacement speaker that will get you where you want to be. One of my friends did that and has a Celestion in his. I prefer the stock speaker at this moment for myself though.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
Oh yeah, ...if the Classic 30 breaks up too soon for you and doesn't have the headroom you want, ...all ya gotta do is take it down to a local shop and explain that to them and they can help you pick out a replacement speaker that will get you where you want to be. One of my friends did that and has a Celestion in his. I prefer the stock speaker at this moment for myself though.
or you can just buy the Classic 50 which is higher wattage and won't break up as easily.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire View Post
or you can just buy the Classic 50 which is higher wattage and won't break up as easily.
Ya could, ...but the sound is TOTALLY different between the two amps. I A/B'd them in the store because they had a new 50 they were gonna let go at $500 (that's $100 cheaper than the 30). I was about sold until I plugged into the 30 and the tone just "lept" out of that jewel. Totally different amp in my experience. The distortion sounded different between the two as well. Not bad on the 50, but different so that's something to be aware of.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 18

The JSX is a totally different beast than the classic 30 hands down. The versatility of the amp is very impressive and you can get most any tone you want out of it. The fact that it weights close to 90lbs doesn't scare me.

If you want a small amp, get the classic 30. If you want an amp that you'll use for many many years without having to buy extra cabs, etc., get the JSX, you won't regret it.

Here's an old picture of mine:

Jimmy
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Are the JSX and Classic series both "Made in USA"?

The reason I ask is I was briefly looking into getting a Valveking not long ago and I think I recall those were made in China, which made me pause and go "Hmm...".
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Random question, but I've noticed it on the JSX and the 5150 series: why do the combos have reverb but the heads do not??
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman View Post
Random question, but I've noticed it on the JSX and the 5150 series: why do the combos have reverb but the heads do not??
That is simply history related.
Most heads (any manufacturer) do not come with a spring reverb, most combos have it.

I actually prefer the head anyways and add my own reverb to it. You can go with a cheap Digireverb to do this, or something like a DamageControl Glass Nexus and have it all.
If you really have the money you can go for a highend 19'' Reverb/Delay Beast.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Banned

My JSX Youtube vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8bImfJGiY

Tags
extension cab , flextone iii , gain knob , jsx head , peavey classic , spring reverb , stomp box , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode