different amp/cab options - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

different amp/cab options

hey guys. Lately I've been thinking about different ways to set stuff up. And I thought about in a live setting, it's really no different what you use because in the end it's all going through the huge mains anyway. So what's the difference between miking one speaker of a 4x12 cab and miking the one speaker of a tiny practice amp like a Fender champ or something? Say you had a champ and a Mesa Bottle Rocket distortion pedal (tube driven pedal that sounds EXACTLY like a recto just in a smaller package), you'd automatically have an excellent 2 channel amp with a beautiful clean and an awesome distortion channel. Add a few more effects before them and you'd have a perfect rig. So what's the incentive of buying a 3 channel monster like a hughes and Kettner Triamp or a Bogner Extacy with a 4x12 if you could get all you need out of something so tiny and affordable? Is there something a 4x12 has over something smaller even when it's miked? I say all this because on stage you have your keyboard/bass/other guitar player etc. complaining about your amp being too loud for the stage. The audience isn't hearing your amp anyway, they're listening to the mains. I'd rather hear what I sound like in the monitors anyway, so for those of you who have played huge shows, what do you think? Just thought I'd ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:48 PM

Re: different amp/cab options

Well as for close miking, the biggest difference is a 4x12 is (almost always) closed back and a 1x12 combo is open back. Put the 1x12 in front of a wall or close the back up (find a board the proper size) and they can record quite well.

Distant miking you will pick up more of a difference. The cabinet will still hold its low end where a 1x12 combo miked in the distance will have a lot of highs. Plus about an open back combo is you can stick a mic in the back of it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: different amp/cab options

well that makes a lot of sense. So pretty much if recording or in a live situation, it doesn't really matter what you have if you're doing close miking. Which means for me that I can get a cheaper combo rather than a huge head and still be loud enough for when I only have my amp but quiet enough to go through the mains and sound good without hurting my band's ears. Excellent.

Tags
distortion pedal , fender champ , kettner triamp , practice amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pedal options for dive bombs?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode