Different Types of Guitar Picks - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Different Types of Guitar Picks

(Note: crossposted to a few different online Guitar forums. Apologies for any HTML formatting errors or seeing the same thread on another site! ;- ) )

I've done a *lot* of experimentation with different pick types over the past few months.....so far, I like:

and

Pickboy picks are hard to find in my area. A local store finally got some in, but not in the gagues I wanted.
The .88s aren't bad, but I would prefer the body to be a tad thicker. I'd also like to try some of the Pos-a-Grip and Pos-a-Jazz models as well.

The Dunlop Jazztone 208 is an awesome pick....it's a big honkin' THICK pick with a nice pointed tip. Not sure what the surface is, but very grippable. I like these a lot, but sometimes they can produce an overtone. Again, hard to find in stores.

So far, I'd have to say this one is my all time favorite. You hear a lot about the Dunlop Jazz III, but I much prefer it's slightly larger brother, the Jazz III XL. Perfect shape. I'd like to see Dunlop come out with a Gator Grip and Ultex version just for comparison, but I'm not holding my breath. Again, very hard to find in stores. I seem to have a knack for liking "exotic" picks.

And still yet, there are a BUNCH that I'd like to try that I haven't found yet. The Planet Waves Surepick. The Ibanez Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Sandgrip, and Rubber Grip models.

The Gripick

Awe-In-One

Brossard Picks (wooden)

Kradl Guitar Picks

MacPherson Graphite (only available at Guitarpickcentral.com)

Fernades PPS picks These are pretty good, too. I got a sample 0.8 mm regular, and it has a pebbled field at the top for grip. I'd like to try the 1.0 and jazz versions.

Clayton Black Jazz I've only tried the regular Acetyl Claytons....haven't quite decided if I like them or not....

Wegens Picks

Surfpick

And these are just some examples of ones not normally found in shops that I'd like to try. I've purposefully left several out for brevity's sake.

Of the more common ones, the Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5mm (oddly, the 2.0 mm seems to create the occasional unwanted overtone) and the Ultex 1.14 are both very good.

If anyone has tried any of the above models (or others, for that matter), I'd love to hear a discussion about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:48 AM

Re: Different Types of Guitar Picks

Wow, these are cool http://brossardguitars.tripod.com/bg/index.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

I just wish they were a tad cheaper....so I could try several different kinds. ;-)

It's a bit hard to tell from online photographs, but does anyone know if the Ibanez Steve Vai model picks have as pointy a tip as the Gilbert models?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 AM

My 2 favorite picks at the present are Ibanez Sandgrip in Heavy, and Cool's "JURATEX" Jazz picks in 1.0mm. The Rubber grip Ibanez ones are okay, but not high on my list. lol

I can't stand the attack from Dunlop Jazz III's anymore for rhythm playing, sounds okay on leads, but there's just something wrong with it for me. I used to use the Dunlop Stubbies in 3.0, but they have no traction and end up slipping around all the time. These picks would be killer with the sandpaper grip on Ibanez and Cool's picks, IMO.

P.S. Those Fernandes picks look like the have the same rubber bumps as Ibanez's "Rubber Grip Wizard" picks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Gex

Ultex. . . .is the only thing I will ever use again.

Unless something better comes out.

Smooth, silky, INDESTRUCTABLE!!!!

Lasts longer than my Lexan picks, and everybody knows how tough Lexan is. (Nalgene water bottles = Lexan)

TOUGH.

The Dunlop Ultex 1.0 mm's are what I use. Great picks, but the Steve Vai picks from Ibanez are also Ultex and they have a better tip to them. But, they're a bit more pricey and none of my local stores carry them.

The only Vai pick I have is the one I caught at the show But I only used it for a few seconds, then I put it away for safe keeping.

ULTEX ROCKS!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

I had no idea the Vai sig model picks were made of Ultex.....the points don't look quite as sharp as the Gilberts, but it's hard to tell from online pictures.

Cool brand picks are hard to come by in stores....I've only seen a couple of places online that carry them, but I'd like to try them out.
I also agree that the Big Stubbies would be better with some sort of better grip surface.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 AM

Hmm.. The Ibanez online info lists all 4 of the Vai picks material as polyacetal. Is this the same as Ultex? The Wizard picks are polyacetal as well. The gilbert picks are celluloid.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Gex

Im fairly sure the Steve Vai picks are ultex, they feel just like my Dunlop ultex picks, and I remember hearing somewhere that they are.

Im thinking that Ultex is polyacetal (just given a cooler name) but I could be wrong.

Either way, the Dunlop Ultex, Ibanez Steve Vai, and Gilbert picks -> all killer.

The Gilbert picks arent ultex though, they are cool because they have a sharp point like a Jazz III, but they aren't so worthlessly small as a Jazz III (I've got big hands, I cant work with those Jazz picks, I need something bigger)

Pickboy's are pretty cool, cooler than most Dunlops though, but hard to find like you said. The only place I knew that sold them was Mars Music, but that company went under 3 years ago.

Tags
dunlop jazz iii , ibanez paul gilbert , ibanez steve vai , paul gilbert , planet waves , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode