Digidesign MBOX 2 question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Digidesign MBOX 2 question

I'm considering this beast of a sound card but my only concern is the USB factor..
(USB type B socket (v. 1.1); cable included (does not support passive USB hubs) does this mean if i play direct thru the card into say guitar Rig it will have
latency issues ?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...29&itemid=4893
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 AM

Re: Digidesign MBOX 2 question

Even with USB 1.1 you SHOULD be able to get the latency down to a manageable level.

It does depend on how fast your machine is (Mac or PC?).

Firewire is definitely faster, but the only true way to know for sure is to plug it in and see what latency you can get down to.

The number of other tasks you are performing at the same time will also have a bearing. So for example if you want to play along in real time through guitar rig, to sequenced drums and a recorded bassline, you may have less luck.

The box does have direct monitoring, so you can zero-latency monitor the sound that you send into it, but this is before obviously your in-computer effects.

A bit more info about application & existing equipment and I could advise more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...
my PC is a 3GHZ pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM,
the main reason i wanted this card was becuase you get protools with it and my band mate is getting the same card with protoolsLE (he has a mac tho but i'm assuming its crosscompatibale?), however i've just discovered i can use m-powered protools with my existing card (an M-audio firewire) so i probably dont need the MBOX2..

Your thoughts appreciated on this too tho
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Heres my dilema now...

Get Protools m-powered 7.3 for £139 off **** new, or

get a hardly used MBOX 2 mini WITH protools LE 7.3 for £155

hmmm...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 AM

I am afraid I do not know the difference between M-powered and Digi PT.

You will get better latency with the Firewire M-audio card. Is it the 410?

I don't think the M-box offers much that you don't already have. I appreciate it appears to be only costing you £20.

If you are set on it, buy the used card, try it, if it doesn't work, sell it on and buy the M-powered software.

Its hard to tell from what you said. If its a 3Ghz P4 D*ll you may still struggle as the motherboard won't have fast internal pipelines. If its a latest-generation Abit or Asus board, your probly gonna be fine.

And you still didn't tell me much about the applications here.

If you want to play along in realtime with 8-track drums and your bandmates bass & rhythm guitar lines, you may still struggle.

But you can bounce the bassline and drums down to a stereo track, or freeze edits, to reduce the CPU load and then record your guitars with in-box effects, then drop that line back into the ProTools mix.

The long and short of it is, whatever you buy, even if you sit down, plan for a month and spend $50,000, you are going to find yourself lacking something. Intelligence and familiarity with the gear you are using and your available workarounds will pay dividends.

By that rationale I would suggest sticking with the M-Audio card that you are familiar with, as I don't think the MBox provides you with any extra quality over and above.

Are there any free plugins or anything else to help sway the decision?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply..

I'm afraid i dont know much about protools, i currently use CubaseSX...the difference between m-powered and LE is minimal as far as i know but they are cross compatibale...

I might just stick with Cubase and any export anything i have to as wav files

I'm guessing this would work with PT's too,obviously we couldnt share whole project files but it'll probably save me a few bucks

I'll probably just hang fire ,see how it goes with using cubase with otherband mate using protoolsand if i have to i'll just get m-powered PT and stick with my firewire solo card...phew !!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 AM

Theres a good PC-only utility for exporting all the tracks in Cubase, to individual WAVs. If you can't find it googling let me know, but I am Mac only, I have it somewhere tho I think.

Sorry, you gave very little information so I have been flying blind here. I thought this was a first time purchase!

If you already have Cubase and a working soundcard - dont spend any money on duplicating more of what you have!

Save up and buy a decent piece for your rig in the future. Keep your money man.

Tags
audio firewire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode