digitech gsp1101 w/control2 - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Re: digitech gsp1101 w/control2

Hey Rikk,

I listened to your "Power and Light" track at Digitech's RP500 page, thats a pretty cool lead tone you got out of an inexpensive unit ! I liked many of the sound clips for the GSP1101 so I'm interested in that unit and now that I stumbled upon somebody who works for Digitech I have a few questions :

1) I heard the GSP1101 is utilizing point to point modeling ( exact mathematical simulations of preamp circuitry ). What amp modeling algorithms are used in the RP150 thru RP500 series units ? Is it EXACTLY the same as in the GSP ( in that case the GSP extra horsepower would only be utilized for seamless switching and reduced latency ), a lower definition version of point to point modeling ( the GSP would have better tone ), or a completely different algorithm ?

2) I want to get rid of my crappy Roland Cube amp at home. Can I run the GSP1101 line outs directly to full range powered speakers without any mixing console ? If the answer is yes, what settings should I use for Target Input and Target System in the global I/O setup - "mixer" for both ?

3) How many layers of filtering does the GSP1101 have other than the cab sim ? I noticed a user at the HC forum wrote he did not get the usual fizzy preamp distortion sound when he went direct to mixing console, the sound was usable despite having turned the cab sim OFF. Is that because of the target system compensation block I see in the GSP user manual block diagram ? Could he have achieved an unprocessed sound by choosing "None" as the Target System ?

4) Considering the GSP1101 has no aux input, do you need any special software for USB playback of mp3 tracks from your PC ?

5) Looking at the user manual block diagram again I noticed you can't use the internal noise gate with an external preamp. Are there any plans to move the noise gate after the loop return in future updates ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
5) Looking at the user manual block diagram again I noticed you can't use the internal noise gate with an external preamp. Are there any plans to move the noise gate after the loop return in future updates ?
This right here is why I sold my GSP1101.
While it is an incredible piece for the price and I do miss it; this was ultimately why I couldn't keep it in my rack.

I could get it set up so that I could use a combination of my external preamp with it's pre and post effects and still use it with the internal preamp on different presets as well; but because of that damn noise gate not being able to tame some hiss from my external pre; I just ended up very annoyed by it and couldn't use it that way.

I remember it being discussed pretty heavily on the Digitech forums and someone had indicated a firmware upgrade that was due out; but the date came and went and no firmware upgrade to fix it, so I gave up and bought a Fractal Audio preamp.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Exclamation Re: digitech gsp1101 w/control2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaitamin7v View Post
I figured out my own problem! if you buy the gsp 1101 and control 2 f/c the f/c will not respond. you will need to go online to digitech. when online register for software upgrades. download version 2.0 or better. then you will also be using the cd given with the processor and a usb cable. first down load cd into 1101 then the download from digitech as this will upgrade your gsp to version 2.0. your control 2 will now work. hope this helps anybody who buys it, as no one told me and no dealer could either digitech was closed.
It's my first post and Im not sure if anyone read yours before posting. Not that the title helps.

Anyway, I'm having problems with mine. Occasionally, the control 2 will just not work. I'll work fine one minute, I'll hit a button and it's frozen. Unplug the cat 5 and replug and it usually goes away. WTF!!!

I'm pretty disappointed with the thing. I can't trust it live. What am I to do?!

The thing pretty much struck out with this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfontio View Post
It's my first post and Im not sure if anyone read yours before posting. Not that the title helps.

Anyway, I'm having problems with mine. Occasionally, the control 2 will just not work. I'll work fine one minute, I'll hit a button and it's frozen. Unplug the cat 5 and replug and it usually goes away. WTF!!!

I'm pretty disappointed with the thing. I can't trust it live. What am I to do?!

The thing pretty much struck out with this.
Man that sounds like a defect of some sort for sure. If you contact DigiTech repair in Utah, it should be under warranty and they can fix it for you for free. The number is: (801) 566-8800

-Rikk
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 PM

I didn't register the thing because I was too busy dicking with it before that whopping 10 day registration deadline. I also assume my equipment is going to work.

Looks like I wasted 700$. Maybe I'm selling it short but equipment has one chance in my eyes. I pretty much can't ever trust it again.

I just called digitech and they told me to contact one of the service centers. So, I call one. They tell me that it's likely going to cost between 150-200$. So, because I know how to fix the stuff I asked if I could just get the parts. Apparently, digitech has to approve the sale of parts - which they might not do. So WTF.

Waste of money.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Ibanez endorsed

I know you are frustrated and dissapointed. I want to try to help you out with this. Please email me directly at [email protected] or call me at (360)790-9768 and I will try to get this fixed for you.

-Rikk
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Well, thanks for your interest in helping me - being some random person on the internet.

Some electrical engineers that I sometimes work with are thinking it's a grounding issue. Simply because it happens when I touch the controller with skin and goes away EVERY time I un and re-plug it.

They suggest taking a small toroid and winding the cat 5 around it a few times to see if that gets rid of it. They're also talking about modding it so it will ground itself all the time. They tell me they would have to look at the actual schematics and coding to really know - and to do it right.

Their conceptual understanding of this stuff blows my mind. I've had a few problems with musical stuff in the past and in two minutes, they solved problems that the tech support people had no clue about.

I'm going to email Digitech about it and hopefully they have something more to say than "contact an official service center, they'll know.". -they can't tell me or guarantee anything accept blowing another 200$.

Oh, and I double checked last night as well, I have all current updates for the whole set up.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Hey,

I think that's very impressive that Rikk offered to step in and personally help you resolve this. Every company should have clinicians and reps that genuinely care about their products enough to do something like that. Also, Rikk is a long time veteran of this site and it's great to see him enjoying some success as an independent artist. If you hit a dead end, you should seriously consider contacting him and seeing what strings he might be able to pull. But that's just MHO.

Good luck

Last edited by stratoskier; 11-15-2010 at 01:38 PM.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Just thought I'd say, I've been running the 1101 with the matching floorboard controller through a Mesa 50/50 into two Marshall 1960 4x12's for the past year now and it has worked flawlessly. A great rig in general and running in stereo, it just sounds incredible!

Tags
peavey classic , production model , tube distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode