Digitech Whammy Reissue/4 questions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Digitech Whammy Reissue/4 questions?

Hey everyone. I'm considering getting a digitech whammy reissue, but I've heard a few bad things about it. I've only got to mess with one a little bit once, but I've heard from several sources that it is very harsh sounding, and that the tracking isn't good, and that there is some tone degradation and that there is a delay between the effect and when you pick. And I don't have the money for an original, and i'm not getting a whammy 2 or xp-100. Any help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 06:34 PM

delay in sound...true, very slight mind you

harsh sounding....a bit, but you adapt and learn how to avoid that. most of the time, making sure you hit a note perfectly clean and square with the pick will prevent that sort of thing.

tone degradation....not enough to notice, don't worry about that, it'll happen with all of them.

tracking problems....not that I've noticed, could be wrong, but haven't heard of that being a problem.

The first one is the best...the original whammy. I almost went and paid considerably more for one, because I'm a control freak, and there is no substitute for the best. but let me tell you....it is an accent pedal, and not a centre peice of your rig, which means that unless u plan to use it as more than what it generally gets used for, it may not worth the extra money.
Of course, if your building whole songs around it, or just trying to make discriminating ears dance, then maybe a little more cash is worth spending.

Songs like touching tounges by Vai use it heavily; i did a cover of that with my re-issue. He uses the original, of course. With some careful playing, the new version did a fine job living up to its older friend as far as tone goes. Check out my version,
here:http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/425/dave_s.html

and then listen to Vai's version. A difference there is, sure, but u can judge for yourself if the difference in the tone in the various whammy sections is worth your cash. Hope this helps a bit Hopefully you'll be able to hear exactly what the difference is.

To summarize, one is a bit better than the other, and the advice you've been giving is half right, half wrong. however, most people don't need the whammy enough to justify the extra cash spent, because the re-issue is not bad....its just not quite as good as the first.
original is 9 out of 10. the reissue is almost an 8 out of 10...i'd say a 7.8.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

very nice dave. Where do you run your whammy? would you run it straight into the amp before or after a wah?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 07:54 PM

hey there

I recently was having the same problem as you deciding whether to get the reissue or stump of the cash for an original off of ebay.

Then i heard davsters magnificent rendition of touching tongues and i realised how silly i was being for wanting THE BEST.

If you're a good player you can make anything sound good. John Scofield uses the XP whammy wah!! and he is phenomenal and his tone is Uber!!

So in the end i tried out the reissue and loved it. There is the tiny tiniest bit of a delay between picking and hearing the note but honestly to the listener and even yourself if you are really not paying attention its not noticable.

Davester makes very vaild points...the whammy isn't the focal point of your sound, well correct me if i'm wrong but you're probably gonna use it like vai/satch... its not like its your distortion sound or amp or something.

I cant really notice that much of a tone degredation...but a hardware bypas would be very nice. However its swings and roundabouts, and for the money the Reissue whammy 4 isn't certainly best value.

track7
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 12:05 AM

thanks both of you for the kind words.

As far as how to incorporate a whammy pedal into your rig, it should go FIRST, before distortion and anything else usually.
You'll probably want to proccess the whammied sounds with your delay, chorus, reverb, or whatever. That goes for the wah too. Wah's manipulate notes, whammy's CREATE notes (loosely speaking of course), so think of it this way: you'd want to wah a whammied sound, but you probably wouldn't care to whammy a flux of your wah pedal (or maybe you would, who knows)!

Of course, you could always do strange and unique things if you mixed up the setup, but thats the conventional way to do it.

My setup, which is very conventional is as follows: guitar--->whammy--->wah-->[effects processor when i use one] -->distortion---->delay---->reverb-->eq--->amp

Tags
digitech whammy , john scofield , wah pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode