Dimarizo Tonezone - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Re: Dimarizo Tonezone

I have just replaced the TZ in my RG3120 I thought it sounded muddy and lifeless no amount of amp tweaking got it sounding right to my ears, Im sure it would sound better in a basswood guitar but I think its a poor choice by Ibanez for a mahogony guitar, I put a EVO2 in the guitar today and it came to life a lot better and made me apreciate the paf pro a little more on the split settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 06:17 PM

^^ I can't really imagine it in a mahogany guitar. Maybe it would sound okay but could easily sound kind of blad. But it wouldn't be on my list of pickups to try in mahogany.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
^^ I can't really imagine it in a mahogany guitar. Maybe it would sound okay but could easily sound kind of blad. But it wouldn't be on my list of pickups to try in mahogany.
I've got a TZ in the bridge of my RG321MH. In my opinion, it doesn't sound blad at all.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:47 PM

sheesh...I need to find a way to get enough money to buy all these pups. The Evo neck is my fav in the neck but bridge I'm not so certain. Listen to Shredcows' clips in the pickups & wiring section where he used a Breed neck in the bridge position. Really great sound. What would you guys say for a basswood RG550 with a maple neck? It's a rather bright guitar so PAF Pros sounded weak and thin in it and the Evo it has now makes it scream too much...like previously said, too harsh. I've thought about Fred, Breed neck or bridge, even Steve's Special and TZ, I just don't have the time or money to try out ever pup out there.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
I just don't have the time or money to try out ever pup out there.
DiMarzio is FANTASTIC when it comes to taking pickups back...unconditionally. If you don't like it, send it back within 30 or 60 days and they'll send you something else or refund your money.

I understand that install-time is an issue.

If you like the breed neck in the bridge position, then try it out. You may even like the breed bridge in the bridge position. I found it to be right between the PAF & the Evo, soncially. I guess that's why they called it The Breed.

~K
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 AM

Reviews: 6

I have TZ's in my RG3120, Soloist SL2H, & my RG8570M. It is my favorite pickup and excells at lead tones.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:42 PM

I was interested in the tonezone because I mostly play with a solid state amp and a podxt, so a was looking for something less harsh sounding with more low end.

But the thing is that appears to sound WAY different from the evos, (wich I like), so..

How good are TZ for pinch harmonics?
Can TZ "scream" something like a Evo?
Can I get a Vai-esque tone with it?

So what do you think? I was looking for a high gain pickup with a bassy sound good for leads and with little less gain thant the evos, but I'm starting to think that the compromise and sound difference maybe will be too much..
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM

I haven't used an Evo bridge yet but the Tone Zone is working out well in my RG2550E - in fact it pairs really well with my Evo neck. I'd been looking for a used Evo bridge to test but I've dropped the idea because the more I play with the Tone Zone, the more I like it.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 PM

I like TZ in a basswood bodied Jackson I have. Very "vocal" response to pick attack.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 PM

I had a Tone Zone in a mahogany guitar and I didn't like it much. I found myself dialing more treble in my amp to make up for the darkness of the pickup. It all depends on what gear you're using and the tone you think your guitar needs. Perhaps it was because I already have a dark amp, so having a dark sounding guitar AND pickups was overkill. I like using pickups to dial in the final sound to my liking. However, if you want a dark Dimarzio, I'd suggest the Breed over the Tone Zone. Much better pickup IMO.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 PM

I've got one in my RGT320Q, personally I love it.

That's the annoying thing about pickups. You can't try them first.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 AM

Unfortunately the TZ is the only pickup I can get for now.. for a few reason too long to explain..

my greatest concern is about harmonics and overtones.. because the evos are very good with that. I'm planing on put it in a basswood RG1570, I play with a solid state amp and a podxt, and sometimes only with podxt direct to PA.

Can I get some of basic features (screaming pinch harmonics, sustain, cutting sound through the mix) of the evos with a TZ or they are WAY different pickups?

Can someone show me some soundclips of the TZ? (different from Dimarzio and Paul Gilbert)
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:44 AM

Reviews: 5

I think the tonezone is good for twangy blues

and with a hi gain amp it can scream

but I have tonezones on two of my guitars but the difference between the two is that one is rosewood and the other is a maple neck

and the one with maple seems to be much more responsive and punchier

while the one with rosewood seems a tad bit duller
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 AM

Reviews: 3

I love the tonezone. I had one in the bridge position of both an rg570, and an rg3120. I thought it sounded huge in a mahogany bodied guitar. I never found it to be muddy, but I don't use massive amounts of gain either(I'm sure the maple top doesn't hurt). In the 570 the tone zone definatey added some punch, but it wasn't nearly as ballsy as in the mahogany bodied 3120. I definately had no problem pinching squeals out of it, and lead tones were FAT.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:39 AM

although the TZ is my favorite pickup...did you guys realize that this is a 3 year old thread? resurrection central!!!

rich

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , breed bridge , bridge pickup , bridge position , coil tap , dimarzio tone , evo bridge , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , guitar body , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , maple neck , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , phil collen , pinch harmonics , rocktron piranha , solid state amp , sounding guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode