Dimarzio Clip-Lock Damaging Guitars? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Clip-Lock Damaging Guitars?

Hey everyone,
I'm very interested in buying a Dimarzio Clip-Lock strap for my Ibanez RG Prestige but I have heard rumours about them damaging the finish of the guitar. Is this true? I have had people tell me that these straps are terrible and others have told me they have used them for 20 years with no problem. I was thinking about buying one and the modding if this is the case so it can't damage the guitar.

What do you guys think? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Dimarzio Clip-Lock Damaging Guitars?

Guitars should be played and should be damaged.
They're tools to make music and not paintings on the wall.
I'm using cliplocks since the 90's, some of my guitars had small scratches and some didn't.
Who cares, we're not chicks protecting our Prada shoes for heavens sake
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonski View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm very interested in buying a Dimarzio Clip-Lock strap for my Ibanez RG Prestige but I have heard rumours about them damaging the finish of the guitar. Is this true?

Hope that answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonski View Post

I was thinking about buying one and the modding if this is the case so it can't damage the guitar.

What do you guys think? thanks

Most of the people treat their gear like crap, so they don't care to use a clip lock that can damage their gear. You know, you can look at their gear and you can realize what kind of people they are. It's like to have a car. Some people get their own car in perfect condition, others in the most crappy way.

What I use? Only schaller locks, they do a way better job than the cliplock, they use metal (not cheap plastic like those cliplocks) and you can remove the entire strap if you want it so nothing is damaged and you can use the strap you like...

Anyway, I love Dimarzio pickups, I love their guitar hardware, their cables and stuff like that.... BUT I HATE THEIR CLIPLOCKS!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Another vote for the Schaller strap locks here. Just beware that the screw for the new strap button is usually thinner radius than the stock strap button screw. Be very careful installing these new Schaller buttons that the screw is firmly grabbing in the body wood or you will risk stripping out the hole entirely. This is particularly damaging on the upper horn button!

This is a very easy fix @ time of installation either by adding some filler to the screw hole (lots of different materials work well for this) or simply going to your local hardware store and finding a screw that fits in the Schaller button but is a closer match to the diameter of your stock screws. Don't wanna scare you away just make you aware. For the record, I have Schaller lockers on every one of my axes & love them.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 120

I always just use the screw that came in the guitar, fits the hole, and the Schaller strap lock.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM

A +1 vote for the DiMarzio Cliplock's (have used them exclusively for 15+ years), but I will confirm that they can indeed damage your finish if you're careless with them. You also have to be aware of where the plastic clips are when you close your guitar case.

However, I've not had problems with this over the years. Of course, I've never owned an Ibby worth more than about $1k. I might think twice about the Cliplocks if I bought a rare model or, say, a J-Custom. Even then, I might still go with a Cliplock.

I've tried the Schallers too, and they're excellent, but the amount they stick out bothered me, so I went back to Cliplocks.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM

I use either the cliplocks or the Dunlop's.. I've had Schaller's plunger fail.. not a biggie as long as the U-channel part on the strap doesn't twist.. NOT good when it does.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 PM

Reviews: 18

Another vote for the Schaller strap locks.

Jimmy
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 AM

Reviews: 1

I use both, Schaller and Clip-lock, both work great, both have there down falls.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Reviews: 13

Ive used cliplocks for a while now and no damage, just dont be rough when your putting it in its case.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm'n Jimmy View Post
I use both, Schaller and Clip-lock, both work great, both have there down falls.
this.

i find that ibanez's from the late 90's-early 2000's suffer greatly as ibanez's finishes during this time wasn't top notch. the most noticeable are my 7 string RG's.

rich
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Reviews: 25

Dimarzio !!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 AM

i've had schaller nuts actually come off of the strap in the middle of a gig. they don't have a lock washer setup and you have to check them fairly regulary to make sure they are tightened down. this means the strap button and strap lock.

rich
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Reviews: 130

I've used/use both Dunlop Strap locks and Dimarzio Click Lock. Dimarzio is now my go-to (3") and has been noted, you just have to be mindful of position when putting back in the case. I have a 90's RG760 that I don't even take the strap off when I case it and I have no problems.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've seen more damage from strap locks than clip locks and the straplock damage tends not only to be more frequent, but far more severe!

Tags
damage , dimarzio , ibanez , rgpresitge , strap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode