Dimarzio D Activator Shootout Demo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio D Activator Shootout Demo

Hi guys!

I did a demo of a D Activator vs the X version using my RG's (470 and 550 both MiJ). Interesting results. Played them through a Bugera 333 and recorded it via Samson condenser mics into Cubase.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JVIIPFU-o

Thanks for any likes, comments and or subscriptions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Re: Dimarzio D Activator Shootout Demo

Dude that was awesome.

I agree with your opinions of the D Activator and X tonally, I think the D activator would be best in something like my RGR580, with the mahogany body. Might tone down some of the overboard treble. The X would be best in Basswood, alder or Ash body guitars to give them a little more bottom end. I like the both of them and your demo was great.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Dude that was awesome.

I agree with your opinions of the D Activator and X tonally, I think the D activator would be best in something like my RGR580, with the mahogany body. Might tone down some of the overboard treble. The X would be best in Basswood, alder or Ash body guitars to give them a little more bottom end. I like the both of them and your demo was great.
THANKS DUDE!! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the compliment

Yes indeed. If you put a DA in your mahogany RGR then it would shine. The X is as you said, well suited to a basswood axe like my 470. Chugs really well and that was only in Eb. I have her tuned down to drop B right now... it's killer i tell you. Destroys that tuning
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Love the D Activators
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Love the D Activators
Cool! Really good pickups for anything requiring high gain
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 02:40 AM

Nice little shootout dude.
Always nice to hear people play.

I think most of the differences you hear (both in the video and "live") comes from the guitars themselves and not the pickups.
The X don't really have more bass, just a more rolled of high end and I am sure you would hear that if you had them in the same guitar.

/Magnus
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
THANKS DUDE!! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the compliment

Yes indeed. If you put a DA in your mahogany RGR then it would shine. The X is as you said, well suited to a basswood axe like my 470. Chugs really well and that was only in Eb. I have her tuned down to drop B right now... it's killer i tell you. Destroys that tuning
I'm really happy you did this video btw, I just got another RGR580 (thread in the non-prestige Ibanez guitars forum) and while the V6F pups, contrary to what I thought of them before, are decent yet stupidly underpowered pickups, I had been considering the D activators/X pups. (For the record, I hated the V6F pups before, but that ended up being my amp and eq settings as with my current rig they sound really clear and articulate, just horribly underpowered). Maybe an X in the bridge and an Activator in the neck? Wont be for awhile though, I am broke for the forseeable future :/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Cool! Really good pickups for anything requiring high gain
...and awful for anything else. They could do that EMG clinical/sterile clean thing pretty well, too, I guess, but I could absolutely NOT get along with these pickups for anything not involving full preamp saturation. They were just too thin and bright.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
...and awful for anything else. They could do that EMG clinical/sterile clean thing pretty well, too, I guess, but I could absolutely NOT get along with these pickups for anything not involving full preamp saturation. They were just too thin and bright.
Haha Drew I reckon on the bridge the cleans aren't all that great but I would say better than EMG's by far The neck versions are quite decent for cleans despite being high output. That being said, the DAX neck is much less hot than the DA so it's cleans may be even better however I've never tried the DAX neck.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Nice little shootout dude.
Always nice to hear people play.

I think most of the differences you hear (both in the video and "live") comes from the guitars themselves and not the pickups.
The X don't really have more bass, just a more rolled of high end and I am sure you would hear that if you had them in the same guitar.

/Magnus
Many thanks Magnus! I really appreciate the compliment and you taking the time to watch this video

You are right. If I put them in the exact same guitar then the comparison would have been that much more accurate. Now that you mention it I have always noticed the deeper sound from my 470 compared to most, if not all my other RG's including the 550 in this video which sounds less bassy. When I play in Drop B the DAX really punches thru with that added bass thump but like you said, the high end is rolled off in comparison to the DA. At least I managed to double up on this video by using two guitars though - 550 and 470 so it's kind of a sound test of them in addition to the pickups themselves lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I'm really happy you did this video btw, I just got another RGR580 (thread in the non-prestige Ibanez guitars forum) and while the V6F pups, contrary to what I thought of them before, are decent yet stupidly underpowered pickups, I had been considering the D activators/X pups. (For the record, I hated the V6F pups before, but that ended up being my amp and eq settings as with my current rig they sound really clear and articulate, just horribly underpowered). Maybe an X in the bridge and an Activator in the neck? Wont be for awhile though, I am broke for the forseeable future :/
I'm glad it's helped you out! you know what I've never had the opportunity to play a V6F. That combo you desire - DA neck/X bridge would actually be quite versatile and rock pretty hard in that axe of yours. In fact it's quite a killer combo. You could even substitute the bridge with the neck version of the DA which is quite hot for a neck but less harsh in the bridge and the DAX neck which is less hot as well. What do you think of that idea? Dimarzio rates the DA neck at 375mv while the DAX neck is 300 (my personal limit for a neck pickup but I would like something a little closer to 320mv depending on the application.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Haha Drew I reckon on the bridge the cleans aren't all that great but I would say better than EMG's by far The neck versions are quite decent for cleans despite being high output. That being said, the DAX neck is much less hot than the DA so it's cleans may be even better however I've never tried the DAX neck.
It was less output than tonality - EMGs, to me, sound a lot like singlecoils in their overall tonality, in that they're very bright and crisp, without much bass. DActivators got pretty close to that tone, I think - impressively so, considering for EMGs it's a very weak pickup and a very strong preamp, while Dimarzios are conventional humbuckers without a preamp - but because of that EQ curve, you were pretty much limited to "EMG-like clean tones" and tight high gain tones. Mid-gain crunch tones, the sort of Timmons-like smooth moderately driven lead tones I go for... absolutely not gonna happen.

It's not that it's a bad pickup - it's a great option for the guys who like EMGs but don't like the hassle of active electronics. It's just, they're the wrong pickup for ME.

Tags
d activator , d activator x , demos , dimarzio , youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode