direct to a pc mic port - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
direct to a pc mic port

hi there, i have been wanting to record a Neal Zaza lick for a while, but haven't figured out how to get my tone directly from my amp, into my computer. the idea I had was too do a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch cable, from my auxiliary speaker out, into the mic interface on my computer. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Re: direct to a pc mic port

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbouxa View Post
hi there, i have been wanting to record a Neal Zaza lick for a while, but haven't figured out how to get my tone directly from my amp, into my computer. the idea I had was too do a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch cable, from my auxiliary speaker out, into the mic interface on my computer. any thoughts would be appreciated.

hi for decent sound quality, get yourself this:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...ordingHardware

Not ridiculously expensive but does the job nicely.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Yea its definitely a good idea to put a interface of some sort between the amp and computer, otherwise it will sound loud and distorted...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 PM

Reviews: 4

True as the others said. however it IS possible to do it your way, it may not give you great results. the m-audio products are good. but also if you have a good multi fx, like the digitech RP. you can go USB from there. I STRONGLY recommend the programs "REAPER" and "Audacity"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 AM

Reviews: 25

If you want to send an audio signal to your PC, you dont want to connect it to the the mic input on your soundcard, you want to use the LINE IN.. that way you can regualte how much signal comes in via the PC mixer... using the MIC IN will give you distorted results
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 AM

Reviews: 6

For a simple cost effective set-up, and from a newbies point of view for simplicity, i HIGHLY recommend the line6 UX1 which is a guitar and vocals USB interface, you get pod farm software with it for tones, but dont use the recording software that comes with it, its pants IMO.

I strongly recommend you try reaper, its a piece of cake, you will be recording in minutes, although im only an intermediate guitarist, take a look on my reverbnation page for some examples of what ive done with this simple CHEAP setup.

http://www.reverbnation.com/mrsatchafunkilus click the play button on I WOULD LOVE TO, i love it, sound quality is fabulous....

Hope this helps mate....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Reviews: 25

The cheapest is to just use the line in on your PC Sound card... I recorded an entire album using this method direct from my effects floorboard. u can hear tracks here http://www.myspace.com/julien_cohen if all you want to do is record some guitar playing, then the line in is all you need and the cheapest ooption as you would already have this feature in your soundcard... no need to shell out extra cash for anything...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 AM

if its a laptop, you're only sensible choice will be an audio interface of sorts. But if you've got a desktop soundcard with a line in option go with ibfreak777 option.

Tags
direct line , mic port

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode