Distorsion In my setup! help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Distorsion In my setup! help

Hi guys,i'm a Italian guitarrist, sorry for my bad english, but i have to buy a new rack for my setup.
I have a 2120 artist made by digitech with a marshall 2x80w.
the problem i the distorsion sound, not great for me. the question is: what (for your) machine i can buy for powered the dist. sound.
your opinion are very important to me,
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:35 AM

Re: Distorsion In my setup! help

mesa boogie have some good (but expensive) rack gear
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 PM

So you want to use the 2120 just for cleans and effects? You've got a couple of decent options, but it all depends on your budget. If you use another rack preamp dedicated for distorted tones you're going to need a rack mixer or complex midi switching system to run it all...especially if you want the effects from one preamp to be used on the tones generated by the other preamp. It can be done, but you better know what you're doing or you risk getting stuff you can't use.

The other option is to find a pre-amp or distortion pedal that gets you the sounds you are after. Mesa used to make some good ones, Tonebones are great pedals and are tube driven. I have the Tone bone classic model and it really sounds great, very organic un-pedal-like. They may have one that has more than one setting so you can use more than just one tone. But the downside is that you are limited to one or two tones, which sort of ruins the advantages of having the rack set up to begin with. THe other question is really how many tones do you really need.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:28 PM

Post Re: Distorsion In my setup! help

I don't think you need a mixer to add other distortion tones to the 2120, it has a midi-programmable effects loop just before the preamp section but after the compression and wah, which will also allow you to use a separate preamp. As long as you keep a good eye on the input and return levels. Also set the 2120 preamps to bypass (or clean.)

A separate midi preamp however, will cost you as much as, if not more than the 2120. For example a Marshall JMP1 is EUR1500, the Mesa Triaxis is EUR2500, an Engl E580 is EUR3500, but perhaps Brunetti has something for you: http://www.brunetti.it

The question is how much are you willing to spend, and how much do you need it? If you only need one good distortion sound a good pedal or non switchable preamp can help.

IMHO the DigiTech preamp/effects units may not be perfect, but are very versatile and with some tweaking can generate much better tone than any of the current preamp/effects units in the same price category (most of them use modelling, not real tubes)

So unless you are looking forward to spending a lot of money on extra gear, I suggest you play around with the 2120 settings some more, IIRC it is even capable of simultaneously operating the tube and solid state preamp in parallel.
  • The first thing to check out is the combination of compression and tube distortion.
    Secondly you need to look at EQ, using a 9 or 15band EQ in the program can really help you tweak the tone.
    You may also want to try a separate EQ in the effects loop (before distortion)
    Lastly there are some dedicated sites and forums for the Digitech products, with tips& tricks how to get good tone, or even mods (replacing tubes, etc.)

Last edited by eviltwin; 06-29-2006 at 03:35 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the answers are good. the problem not is my money, but an erroneus buying.
Eviltwin you show me good solution, i would talk to you because you know well the 2120. can pass me some good urls for info about the 2120? and for you what is the best machine to buy in this setup.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:52 PM

If u want a really good metal pedal, or any thing else with metal buy the boss metal zone, I am inlove with this pedal, it makes my **** guitar sound good, and my dean sound amazing!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Post Re: Distorsion In my setup! help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupoblu
Thanks guys, the answers are good. the problem not is my money, but an erroneus buying.
Eviltwin you show me good solution, i would talk to you because you know well the 2120. can pass me some good urls for info about the 2120? and for you what is the best machine to buy in this setup.
A good source for info on the 2120 is this:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/2120
you need to sign up to yahoo first (if you haven't already)

BTW I own a GSP2101 which is similar in many ways, but the 2120 is slightly more sophisticated.

I'm not sure that I understand your question, are you still looking to hook up a separate preamp to use in stead of the preamp section in the 2120? If so the Triaxis is well respected, do a search on this forum for info. I you have that kind of money, you have other options too...try this list:
http://www.tubefreak.com/preamps.htm

I do suggest that you try before you buy, putting anything in the FX loop will probably colour the sound, it won't be completely transparent. When hooking up different units you must also watch out for ground loops (which can cause humming etc.)

For example the Triaxis (or any other preamp) has an FX loop, you can also try to put the 2120 in the preamp's FX loop. (There are GSP2101 users on http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSP2101 who have done this)

So you can go:
  • Guitar->2120 input ->
    2120 FX send-> Triaxis input
    Triaxis out->FX return 2120
    2120 out-> Power amp

or
  • Guitar->Triaxis input ->
    Triaxis FX send -> FX return 2120
    2120 out-> Triaxis FX return
    Triaxis out -> Power amp

BTW If you're having trouble getting a good sound out of the 2120, you may not immediately get great tone with a unit like the Triaxis. It also has dozens of settings you need to tweak in order to get the desired tone. The general view is that many of the factory presets on the Digitechs are good for showing off the units capabilities, but are rather useless in real situations, the Triaxis' presets may be better, but it only has 10 factory presets
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...s/triaxis.html

The poweramp will also colour the sound, you mention a Marshall 2x80W, I only know of the 2x20 2x50 and 2x100W rackmounted units, what is your poweramp exactly? http://www.marshallamps.com/product_...oductRangeId=8

Last edited by eviltwin; 06-29-2006 at 07:02 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM

my opinion

Guitar->2120 input ->
2120 FX send-> ADA MP-1 input
ADA MP-1 out->FX return 2120
2120 out-> parametric eq ->
Power amp

Tags
boss metal zone , distorted tone , distorted tones , distortion pedal , marshall jmp , mesa boogie , mesa triaxis , power amp , rack pre , tube distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode