Distortion sound : V-AMP(2) or LINE 6 POD (XT) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Distortion sound : V-AMP(2) or LINE 6 POD (XT)

Hi everyone. What's your prerefence between the V-AMP and the LINE 6 with regards to distortion sound, I mean agressive sound ? I heard that the LINE 6 was really cool for clean sounds whereas the V-AMP is just great for hard sounds.

Whereas not so recent now, I'm disapointed by the hard sounds of the Digitech RP 2000 (but clean sounds are fine) and find that they really sound as cheap and unrealistic.

Would the V AMP or the POD be proper to have a real distortion guitar sound ?

Thanks for your opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:14 PM

That is so not true IMO. Line6 for me is better for the clean AND distortion sounds. The POD XT has more features too. What botters some is that the Line6 is X more expensive and not X cooler.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 PM

line 6 is definatley better than the v-amp. the v-amp is very muddy sounding for hard sounds. If you want agreesive tones then i reckon the pod 2.3 is best for you.

The XT is not as nice sounding as the 2.3 it has more features but the actual models are harsher and are more suited for recordng than a good practise/live sound.

IMO

track
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:01 PM

Line6 claims that the POD 2.3 and XT amp models and sounds are the same. The XT has just more features (and looks cooler). That's what I heard and what I found out when testing them both. The only pro the 2.3 has over the XT is that it doesn't stink (XTs stink as they get to hot ). Also, home and studio recording has always been the main objective of PODs. If you want a live and studio distortion modeler, go for a Marshall JMP-1
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 07:07 AM

I have pod and pod pro.. how do I upgrade these to 2.3?? is it risky?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 AM

Do you have 2.0 version of them both?

If you do, and you got them within the past 2 years, open the back of the pod, and look at the labelled chip and see what the version is. My pod 2.0 came with the 2.3 chip, but for 30 dollars or something, you can get Line 6 to send it to you....It's just a quick swap of chips, not too risky, just make sure you're not around any magnets, dust, smoke, etc.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 09:19 AM

yeah they are both ver 2.

I thought it would be a firmware upgrade as opposed to a chargable hardware one... hmmm.. what advantages would I gain by buying these new chips?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Well you guys seem to be experts in POD. Then, I now rather look for a POD (hope Satch's and Steve's sounds will be heard :lol:).

Considering that the POD 2.3 is an home updated version of traded POD 2.O, is the POD 2.0 worth being bought compared to the POD XT ? My understanding is that they basically share the same factory sounds but that the POD XT has only more outpout possibilities. Am I right ?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:19 PM

The only additional output the XT has over the 2.x is USB.
I own both and I think that the XT has better distortion tones than the 2.x, but that's my ears.

Also the XT has more effects options - including distortion pedal sims.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:48 PM

guitarob:
Does your XT have the tendency to overheat? I heard that's a common problem with the XT and XT Pro...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Does your XT have the tendency to overheat? I heard that's a common problem with the XT and XT Pro...
LucasKotzen, I haven't noticed any overheating on my XT. Then again, I wasn't conciously looking to see if it got hot. I'll check it later tonight, but if I haven't noticed it (like smelling something burning!), chances are it's probably OK. How hot is yours getting?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 06:52 PM

Maybe it's the weather then... Brazil, tropical country hehehe. Mine does smell like something burning when I play for about... maybe 4 hours straight. But I don't think it will get to melt something ... well, I hope not. Ah, and another advantage of the XTs over the 2.0/2.3 is the better floorboard IMO.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

I worry about that possible burning smell of the POD XT. After all, this is not the purpose of using anything for home recording.

Does anyone else faced the same problem on a POD XT after playing a few continuous hours ?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 03:08 PM

My guitar teacher has the XT as well and told me he had the same problem. The XT Pro has some kind of air conditioning sytem to prevent that.

Tags
distortion pedal , marshall jmp , pod pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode