DIY Keeley Mod kits? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

DIY Keeley Mod kits?

I'd like to modify my MIT DS-1 to Keeley specs (Seeing Eye and Ultra).

I noticed on everybody's favorite auction site, there are two sellers that offer a "kit". One is pedal_surgeons (kit includes knobs), and another is burrowelectronics.

I noticed from the pics supplied in their respective auctions that their components are slightly different, both in count and in some cases color or type. I'm not sure how to account for those differences.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these kits? Or is there a better option?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: DIY Keeley Mod kits?

The Keeley DS-1 mods are freely available on the net, and it's been asked about a few times here. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find them.

Find the instructions and buy the parts yourself. It will probably end up a bit cheaper for you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 AM

Reviews: 1

Unless you like using your hands and playing around with stuff......I'd suggest you look around for a used Keeley Modded DS-1. They come around on a reasonable price.

If you haven't done this before you'll most likely get yourself into trouble trying to make the Mod work. But if that's what you wanna do, go for it Just do alot of research and practise alot with the soldering iron before working on the pedal.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The Keeley DS-1 mods are freely available on the net, and it's been asked about a few times here. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find them.

Find the instructions and buy the parts yourself. It will probably end up a bit cheaper for you.
Hi LonePhantom,

I know you suggested that to me before. The problem is I did try searching and came up with three different sources, and they all kind of conflict.

http://www.indyguitarist.com/mods_new/keeley-mods.pdf

http://www.robertkeeley.com/audio6l6/dstech.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...l-seeing-eye-/

I noticed the indyguitarist instructions conflict a bit with the other two. His link seems to be the only one to make reference to C4 (470pF) and R2 (620K). [Does anyone know what that is? The other two sites seem fairly consistent and straight forward enough, although I'm a little unclear on the R35 part (1K or 2.4K?) and the 2nd D5 (D4?) in parallel part. ] The instructions also don't seem to be complete.

The robertkeeley link is not that descriptive. Possibly not enough information for an electronics newb like me. It doesn't appear to talk about the switch or knobs, or drilling the case, etc.

The instructables site requires you to buy membership to gain full access... its not fully public domain from the looks of it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Reviews: 120

It sounds to me like doing the full Keeley mods will be a bit too hard for you then. I don't think you should worry about trying to do it yourself.

I've got a great mod that might be a bit easier for you. Makes the DS-1 a lot quieter, and gives it a bit of a Marshall JCM800 sound. It's an awesome sounding mod, and you don't need to worry about switches or anything.

Tags
ds-1 , keeley mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode