DIY Pedal Board Questions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

DIY Pedal Board Questions

I was thinking about incorporating four to five pedals into one enclosure. I can get a sloped aluminum enclosure from Hammond and take the guts out of my favorite pedals, solder the ins and outs and mount them in the enclosure. I could have separate jacks for the effects in front of the amp and a set for the effects loop. Maybe have a bypass switch for each chain.
I have no electrical experience but I work with a bunch of EE's that could help but they have no experience with guitar stuff. Without putting too much thought into this, I do have some immediate concerns:

1. Power supply- buy one of the daisy chain adaptors and hide it inside the enclosure or purchase a suitable power supply to supply power and mount it inside the enclosure (I know my EE friends can help me with this one).

2. Bypass switch- What problems would I have if there was a switch sending the signal straight from input to the output? Could I getaway with soldering the end of the effects chain to the same output as the bypass? Would it be different for the ones in the effects loop?

3. Is this too much trouble just to have your effects in one enclosure (but you could get an effects bypass)? Just buy a rack or floor mount effects unit a be done with it?

4. Anyother road blocks?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: DIY Pedal Board Questions

it seems you run into a problem at #1... different pedals have different polarities, i suppose you could daisy chain or mount a power supply...but it would get really cluttered and a big pain. #2 wouldn't matter if all of the pedals were true bypass, but i suppose you could create a true bypass switch around all of the pedals?

I'd just build a pedalboard or get a rack unit.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

If you're just dumping the PCBs into one enclosure--you can still use the individual power jacks on the outside and use a One-Spot.

For bypass switching, just replace the switches with 3PDT switches.

This is an easier job than you think.

Shoot me a PM with the list of pedals you plan to put in there, and I'll walk you through it.
I'll also need the dimensions of the new enclosure. I have a neat idea that you'll love!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks AlaskaBat!
I have not decided on the effects boxes yet but I am curious about your idea. My current job deals with electronics packaging (putting PCBs into metal or plastic enclosures) and I have an electrical engineer willing to help. I have not even take the effort to open up a box or two to see how the PCBs are mounted. Could be a problem if I have to press in some PEM standoffs.
I am talking about dumping the boards in one enclosure. Hammond has housings at 10 slope at 11", 14" and 17" long. I think the widths (front to back) vary from 8" to 11". I am familiar with Digikey so I would order one common look for the switches.
Most of my projects seldom make it past the idea stage but it would be something I could get away with doing at work.
Like Groovy Tubes said, it may be easier just to build a pedal board but I would like the clean look of one enclosure (on the outside of it anyway) and I would like to do some graphics also. I remember seeing a hand drawing of Randy Rhoads' pedal board with most everthing in one enclosure...always thought that was cool. I could even include a wah and volume pedal.

Tags
footswitch , pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode