DIY projects - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

DIY projects

This came to my mind. It would be super interesting to know what DIY projects you guys have done !! Every DIY builder could share their projects and tell about them in this thread !!!

I've build a great mountain DIY projects.
What DIY stuff I presently have in use are:

- 10 CH graphic EQ (based on EH-7000)
- 4 X 12" Eminence cabinet 325 W (3x 75W and one 100W)
- 8 unit rack
- 4 channel pedal switch for Marshall JMP-1.
- 100W solid state amp for vocals

Also our second guitarist has some equipment made by me. And of course my guitars have had their own treatment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:19 AM

pics, Jannu, pics!
ppl wont trust you until you post pics!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:24 AM

I changed a lightbulb this morning, does it qualify as DIY?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemB
I changed a lightbulb this morning, does it qualify as DIY?
Ehem.... Well... Ehhh....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:23 AM

I've changed a pup on my guitar, and the kitchen sink.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:04 AM

Built a fretless axe, A/B box, some pup & switch changes, made a pedalboard in 25 mins , oh I once changed the fuse in my amp...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:00 AM

I've also installed a hipshot tremsetter. and changed guitar strings too, does that count?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:14 PM

mr orange~

fretless axe .. i'm looking to build one this winter

~A
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:48 PM

Some pics of my DIY projects

Tiny guitar poweramp (2.8 - 3W, sound REALLY good, use it all the time):
http://www.winisp.net/dmitriy/x88r/pa.jpg
http://www.winisp.net/dmitriy/x88r/pa_guts.jpg

Soldano X88R (doesn't yet give me the sound I want, but still sounds good):
http://www.winisp.net/dmitriy/x88r/index.html

Practice single-ended amp (High Octane, sounded good, but was morphed into Soldano X88R crunch channel):
http://www.winisp.net/dmitriy/ho.htm
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:06 PM

wow!! you have any sound clips?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

microdmitry:

I've build a tube amp based on fender 100W schema in school back 7-8 years ago. I made it for my teacher and he bought all the stuff.

I was about to build a 50W tube amp, but components are so high priced in Finland that It was cheaper to buy used 50W JCM800 !

How much those amps costed you ?

PS. I like Sovteks too
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 02:29 PM

2 spacenuke: Nope. And there ain't going to be any. Out of ten people one will say it sounds like crap ('cause my miking skills leave much to be desired) and three will say my playing sounds like crap (which I completely agree with , I'm not Vai by any means).

2 MorbidDream: It's actually cheaper to buy a ready-made amp even here, if we aren't talking about "boutique" stuff like Soldano, Bogner, Dumble and Trainwreck. Dumbles sell for $10K (I honestly don't understand why), and you can build one for less than $800 with all the same parts & stuff. It is not guaranteed, however, that it'll sound the same. It's cheaper to buy a used Mesa/Boogie than it is to build it by hand. Some vintage amps are just too bloody expensive to buy and it's less expensive to buy them by hand, too. They won't look authentic, but they will sound like a real thing.

100W is WAY too much for 99.5% of situations. In fact, I can't even turn my low-power power amp to the full volume, because it's too darn loud for home. And 50W is too loud, too. Many people don't know that, but the difference in volume between 100W amp and 50W one is very small, much, much less than 2 times as one might think.

As to what did it cost me to build this... I don't know exactly, I need to check with MS Money file. I had to buy everything, from drill and soldering iron to tubes, turrets, capacitors and wire. My estimated cost for X88R was around $600 (that's only parts, shipping, etc), maybe a bit more (cost of my time is not included ). High Octane was around $250. That low-power amp was around $130-140, maybe a bit less. I'm also going to whip up a design of my own - two tube four stage preamp, JFET/MOSFET active tone control, JFET/MOSFET effect loop, all tube low-power power amp. Too bad I don't have much of free time on hand right now.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
2 spacenuke: Nope. And there ain't going to be any. Out of ten people one will say it sounds like crap ('cause my miking skills leave much to be desired) and three will say my playing sounds like crap (which I completely agree with , I'm not Vai by any means).
how 'bout some schematics then? if you don't mind that is...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

microdmitry:

Yep, I know 100 is way too much ! I've had problems even with my 50W JCM800 (well, atually just once)! Just too much power.

Well, we have same situation then. tubeamp building is very expensive. Those AX84 projects are quite reasonable and practical for home or studio use. I found that the most expensive parts of tube amp was transformers. The actual costs didn't differ much if you were building either 100W or 10W amp.

Your future project sounds good. Informate us if you have possibility to start it ! I've build also tube preamp. They're more reasonable to build than amps, espeacially when thinking the costs.

I forgot to say that I liked your calligraphy !

BTW, my home amp is DIY 2 Watt solid state amp
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:45 AM

The schematic for that power amp is here: http://www.winisp.net/dmitriy/pa.pdf

X88R modified schematic is available at its web page (see the link in my post above), unmodified - everywhere on the web.

High Octane schematic is available from here: http://www.ax84.com in several different flavors.

Tags
hipshot tremsetter , marshall jmp , power amp , solid state amp , tube amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to make your fl studio projects into mp3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode