do i need an Audio interface? please help! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

do i need an Audio interface? please help!

Hi Guys,

I have a college assignment due in next week and the task is as follows.

I have a fictitious budget of 4000 with which i need to buy:
A computer, music production software, an audio interface, a MIDI controller and studio monitors.

As I'm guitarist i have picked the following setup:
Apple mac, Avid pro tools, M audio keystation, Yamaha active studio monitors.

My Question is...i have picked an avid eleven rack, but as i am new and learning all about studio equipment, would an eleven rack be classed as an audio interface, or would i have to have one separate from the eleven rack?

I'm very stressed with my assignment and don't want to fail, so any help would be great!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: do i need an Audio interface? please help!

If you're going to or have to record more than guitar,you do.Eleven Rack is designed specifically for guitar,it doesn't have mic inputs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMikel View Post
If you're going to or have to record more than guitar,you do.Eleven Rack is designed specifically for guitar,it doesn't have mic inputs.
Eleven racks do have Mic input as well as 2 x 1/4" TRS Line, 1 x XLR AES/EBU
1 x RCA coaxial S/PDIF. Take a look at the spec sheet
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Also, Eleven rack now come with Protools 10.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannymanc81 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a college assignment due in next week and the task is as follows.

I have a fictitious budget of 4000 with which i need to buy:
A computer, music production software, an audio interface, a MIDI controller and studio monitors.

As I'm guitarist i have picked the following setup:
Apple mac, Avid pro tools, M audio keystation, Yamaha active studio monitors.

My Question is...i have picked an avid eleven rack, but as i am new and learning all about studio equipment, would an eleven rack be classed as an audio interface, or would i have to have one separate from the eleven rack?

I'm very stressed with my assignment and don't want to fail, so any help would be great!
Thanks

It is an audio interface because you can record from various input and output to your monitor from it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 AM

Reviews: 18

Gears is correct. The 11R is an audio interface because it can be used to record a guitar, voice or as a reamping solution. Although this is a fictitious budget (and for the sake of the conversation), the 11R for all purposes intended will give you the best bang for the buck because is includes a full blown version of Pro Tools 10 with an iLok and a few vst plugins to get you started. Currently, 11R's in the States are being sold for about $699, so that leaves you plenty of room for a decent pc, a midi controller, monitors and cables.

For the pc, I would get a dell laptop to keep things at a decent price, since PT10 is not 64-bit capable. As far as monitors are concerned, I would look at a pair of Adam A7x's. Lastly, for the foot controller, you can get a Ground Control Pro or a Behringer FCB1010 plus the 11EPROM chip, so that it can be programmed to control the 11R natively.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 AM

Yes, the Eleven Rack is an audio interface. It's alot of things. And yes, it currently costs $699 at places like Sweetwater. I have never seen a better deal on a piece of gear in my entire life. You are either getting a free Eleven Rack, or a free copy of Pro Tools 10. I have owned an Eleven Rack for about 6 months and love it. When I saw the price change I really tried hard to find a reason to buy another one. It may mean AVID is liquidating the Eleven Rack which is all the more reason to have 2; just in case something happens to the first one. Be sure to put this in your paper, it will earn you an A.

If this assignment has a technical aspect to it then I found a flaw in your plan. The computer would need 3 USB ports. In order to run ProTools 10 your iLok needs one as do both the Eleven Rack and Keystation. I'm pretty sure you can't use an external USB hub on the Eleven Rack and I'm positive you can't with Pro Tools. I would find a midi device that runs on Firewire or Thunderbolt (if there are any yet).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Only problem with Eleven Rack is that it can only record 1 I/O at a time. Either the Mic, Instrument, AES digital can be record one at a time. On instrument, you can either have a DI and the Wet signal recorded. This is because it is a USB interface and can't stream too many signal.

Tags
audio interface , eleven rack , pro tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode