Does anyone here have a banjo? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone here have a banjo?

So yeah. . . anyone have one/ know how to play one, or know how its tuned?

thanks,
bennett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 05:53 AM

Well it all depends what style ur playing! for example there is the fast and furious bluegrass finger picking style, or frailing/clawhammer which is often seen in apalachan (spelling>) old time music. As for the tunings, tunings change from tune to tune, there doesnt seem to be an accepted standard tuning; well at least not in the circles i move in.

Cheers

Al M
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 05:54 AM

forgot to mention do you have a banjo and if so is it a 4 or 5 string
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:20 AM

A friend of mine plays bluegrass banjo- 5 string. He's a lefty, so it's a bit odd for me, but little known fact- you can do a GREAT sitar impression on one, the "buzz" is very authentic.

Funny story- so i'm chilling in Benny C's room one night over a *ahem* box of wine and just talking to some people, and i pick up the banjo and start screwing around. Couple minutes later, two girls i'd never met show up. We start talking, and one of them asks, "So, how long have you played banjo?" With a perfectly straight face, i say, "Oh, about 15 minutes." the look on her face was PRICELESS. []

-Drew

PS- Ben tunes his to 5ths, i believe. I think this is pretty standard...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a banjo yet, but the reason I ask is because we're playing a song with a banjo part in jazz ensemble. I don't think the part calls for any complex pick'n, so I guess it'll be ok if I just use a realy bright sound on my guitar.

Has anyone heard of a banjo-guitar? I don't know if it exists, but I'm thinking of something that plays like a guitar and has the drum body of a banjo. I don't know if it would work well or not, but I think it would be interesting.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:22 PM

Yep. grab an issue of guitar player and flip through the classifieds at the back- there's always an ad for a banjo company endorsed by Bela Fleck with a guitar neck and tuning (6-string eadgbe) but a banjo body. No clue what it costs, though.

-Drew
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I wonder if they'll do a 7 string version.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:55 PM

I have a Fender 5 string Banjo and a Vintage 6 string.

I can play the usual 'chicken lickin' stuff (i'm no bluegrass player yet though) on the 5 string and it sounds great, cost me 200 new and I really like it. The six string sounds crap! Well that's probably cos it is crap. Cost me 120 on ebay, the action is really high and the tone just isn't there. I found it nicer to tune my Fender dobro up to F# with a drop E to get a Banjoesque sound.

If any of you guys out there are looking for idea's etc, try a Banjo. Just listen to some of Satriani's Banjo playing for more idea's.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:45 PM

Since we are on the topic of non-guitar stringed instruments, my parents live in Greece, so i'll try to pick up some bouzouki this summer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:28 PM

Deering currently offers a couple of different models of banjo/guitar hybrids. They're far from cheap, but...they're pretty cool! They offer true 5-string banjos in an SG-style body (which is the "Crossfire" model, used by Bela Fleck) as well as an actual 6-string banjo-guitar, which is strung and tuned like a guitar, but sounds like a banjo. This is similar to what Satriani used on his "MTV Unplugged" appearance and on tracks from "Flying in a Blue Dream" (and most likely on any other banjo tracks that he's done). The only difference is that Joe's was in a regular banjo body.

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/images/...s/satriani.jpg
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:11 PM

Dude, that crossfire looks so friggin METAL!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to tell if banjo truss rod is broken

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode