Does a POD into a poweramp and speaker really sound any good - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Does a POD into a poweramp and speaker really sound any good

I know there are probably plenty of threads discussing this, but I'm too lazy to look . Anyways, I wonder if a Line6 Pod sounds into a power amp and speaker. I believe the Impedence coming out of the Pod is different from the impedence coming out of a normal preamp, which I guess would crap up the tone. I don't wanna crap up my tone, I'm sick of crap tone :P . What do you dudes think/know? If the tone does get crapped up, is there anyway mods or signal boxes to fix the crap?

I hate crap tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 09:07 PM

It'll sound just fine if you hook it up right Especially if you've got a POD Pro. It's what they're made for
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 08:50 AM

You have to judge a Pod for what it is. It's a Pod. There is no real way to make it sound like anything other than what it's designed for, Direct recording. You will always get a very thin sound from a Pod. You can definately help it out with a good cabinet simulator, like a Digital Music Corp. Cab Tone. Which will far surpass the built in cabinet emulator.
They are great when you use them correctly "In The Mix" and have alot of cool sounds to work with. It's really all about what you like to hear, and what you like. It's very subjective, therefore you have to take what I am saying as My Opinion and not yours.
I have a Pod and a Pod pro, and I rarely use them for anything but getting ideas down on tape or HD.
There are much better ways of getting a good sound through a power amp.
What kind of sound are you looking for?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
You have to judge a Pod for what it is. It's a Pod. There is no real way to make it sound like anything other than what it's designed for, Direct recording. You will always get a very thin sound from a Pod. You can definately help it out with a good cabinet simulator, like a Digital Music Corp. Cab Tone. Which will far surpass the built in cabinet emulator.
They are great when you use them correctly "In The Mix" and have alot of cool sounds to work with. It's really all about what you like to hear, and what you like. It's very subjective, therefore you have to take what I am saying as My Opinion and not yours.
I have a Pod and a Pod pro, and I rarely use them for anything but getting ideas down on tape or HD.
to the above post i have to say

I have a Pod Pro and i use it with a poweramp and 2 2x12 cabs and it sounds great! its just like any other preamp, it can sound good and it can sound bad, the only advantage of the pod series (either bead shaped or PRO ) is that they have a slight advantage when going direct. i say try it out and throw a sonic maximizer in there to really get the best out of it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VforVendetta00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
to the above post i have to say

I have a Pod Pro and i use it with a poweramp and 2 2x12 cabs and it sounds great! its just like any other preamp, it can sound good and it can sound bad, the only advantage of the pod series (either bead shaped or PRO ) is that they have a slight advantage when going direct. i say try it out and throw a sonic maximizer in there to really get the best out of it.
Agreed. I throw my POD in a backpack, grab my RG, SC, or JS2000, and go to a jam session to plug into a friend's Mackie PA. For not being tube, it sounds amazingly convincing.

While I will say I still prefer tubes in the end, the POD is fantastic for lightweight quick runs to jams.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 02:34 PM

Like I said guys, it's very subjective.
And it is my opinion.
If you like the sound, then cool.
As I stated in my post, it is what it is.
But if you compare it to a real tube preamp or similar, it sounds extremely thin.
I agree with using a maximizer etc to enhance the sound.
I would use it if I was just going somewhere to jam, or goof around. But for a real gig, or good professional recording, it falls a little short.
I have seen a few people actually use tham at shows, and some direct through the PA. But they just tend to get a very thin brittle sound (Comparatively).
I'm not knocking it at all. I own 2 of them. But I would never use them in certain situations like recording a CD or live gigs.
You should check out the Johnson J Station. It's alot fuller sounding in the application you are talking about. But once again, a J Station is a J Station.
They are both great for shoving in your bag, and having a quick decent sound without having to lug a ton of stuff.
JMHO
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 04:32 PM

I saw TSO use them the last two Christmasses, and they were able to get a pretty thick sound out of them.

My only question (for those who have used them): how's the noise level?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 04:44 PM

In the case of the Pod Pro (as with a lot of equipment) I think it's more about the player's ear and not the gear. I've heard Ty Tabor play a Pod Pro live and it was the fattest, warmest guitar sound I've ever heard. I've also heard some dreadful tones from other players. If anyone can't get a good solid tone from a Pod Pro live through a great power amp and a good speaker cabinet it's because they aren't spending enough time with the unit or they just don't know what sound they're looking for. The Line 6 stuff is not as plug-in-and-play as people think it is. You have to work at it, but if you know what you want and have a good guitar as well as a great power amp and speakers, you will be okay.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 05:00 PM

PM me if you want to hear some samples of me playing both direct, and mic-ed through my Flextone II (basically a POD 2.0 with a speaker and power amp).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:44 PM

yep it is up to the player to get the good sound out of it, hell even a crate can sound good at times. also make sure u have the latest software upgrade for the unit, they only keep getting better.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 12:51 AM

Most times those shrill sounds are from those that use their lower-volume 'practice' settings for full-volume situations.
There's that human hearing curve (name escapes me, sorry) that perceives more high frequencies as the volume increases...

I helped a friend turn his at-home practice sounds into his gigging sounds, saved on separate banks in the POD - he couldn't have been more happy with the results. I simply spent time in 'the lab' working sounds to his liking, and then a week or so later, I went to his rehearsal and simply changed duplicates of his practice sounds appropriately for the volume.

I'm a POD fan, obviously...
=]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent
In the case of the Pod Pro (as with a lot of equipment) I think it's more about the player's ear and not the gear. I've heard Ty Tabor play a Pod Pro live and it was the fattest, warmest guitar sound I've ever heard.
Meshuggah sounded great live too with Pod Pros. Huge tone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent
I've also heard some dreadful tones from other players. If anyone can't get a good solid tone from a Pod Pro live through a great power amp and a good speaker cabinet it's because they aren't spending enough time with the unit or they just don't know what sound they're looking for. The Line 6 stuff is not as plug-in-and-play as people think it is. You have to work at it, but if you know what you want and have a good guitar as well as a great power amp and speakers, you will be okay.
Exactly.
Very well put.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. It will all help me drive out the crap tone. I'm just in a search for a good solid giging and recording setup. I simply can't afford alot of great gear out there. The Pod interests me because it can also go direct, which is obviously what it's really built for. Do the bean shaped Pods work any good with pow.amp and speaker? I guess probably not as good as the pro.

Gearjunky wrote:
Quote:
Well, my main influences are Meshuggah, Opeth, and John Petrucci as well as many other death, black and progressive metal bands. So I want those kinda brutal, high gain sounds and clean jazzy tones. But I don't want to copy anyone. I'll get my own damn sound, copying is too expensive anyway. What others ways do you know to get good sound through power amps?

Yesterday I tried someones Peavey Bandit 112 combo, I think it was. It is or was part of the Peavey transtube series, solid states with tube-like sound. I don't think it's made anymore. One of the damn nicest solid state combos I've ever played! Two channels with their own gain and EQ controls. It also has an effects loop, speaker out, and footswitch control. Very good sounding amp.

I've played direct through a number of Pods, and I love them. I should try the J-Station too.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 04:47 PM

Go to that auction site, and look for Engl Tube Toner.
Put that directly into a power amp and you'll have a kick butt setup with 4 channels. I use one all the time for direct recording and live. It will also control midi.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 05:48 PM

My old set up was a pod pro into a mesa boogie power amp, using tc electronics g-major and bbe sonic maximizer into a mesa 2x12 cabinet with v30s in it. Did it sound good? Yes it did. Do you need to constantly twiddle with it to get it to sound good? Yes you do.

However I will say that it got so complex for me that I gave up, going back to a marshall head and some choice pedals for live stuff. I still use my POD Pro direct to PC for ideas and whatnot..it kicks at direct recording. As soon as I brought my Marshall home and plugged it up and played a chord, I was like "now that's what it's all about." I am by no means a tube snob...good tone is good tone, period. For me, I sound better through my Marshall than what I can coax out of my POD Pro. Tube amps for me offer a level of sophistication and dynamic sensitivity to a guitar that I can't get out of a POD. So for me, it wasn't so much the tone of the POD that turned me off cause they sound friggin really good. It was more of the little nuances that tube amplification offers and the simplicity of guitar amp pedals that drove me back home.

As with everything, your milage may vary...use your ears and when you audition amps or rack gear or whatever...play it loud.

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , john petrucci , mesa boogie , peavey bandit , pod pro , power amp , power amps , sonic maximizer , speaker cab , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode