does vai still use the Legacy on tour? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

does vai still use the Legacy on tour?

I'm wondering if Vai is using them on the current tour, I saw him in Anaheim but did not see any amps. if anyone has a Legacy, can you give a tone report? I did check one out at the Carvin store in Hollywood and noticed that the amp has good "focus" and "punch" but I had to go and could not check the amp out as much as I would have liked. I noticed the clean channel has a "sparkle" to it but I'd like to get a tone report. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Re: does vai still use the Legacy on tour?

I honestly find the dirty channel to be mediocre at best. Without turning it up to a level that would be considered extreme, even for gigging, I couldn't get a remotely usable sound out of it. I know there are a quite a few people who agree with me as well.
The clean channel however, is honestly the best I have ever heard from an amp.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

The Legacy isn't for everyone. You really need to demo the amp before you buy it.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Yea he is using them on tour. I saw him in Anaheim and LA and both shows he was using the Legacy.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM

It's a very muddy sounding amp which doesn't respond all that well to chords, so unless you're playing nothing but lead guitar for the entire set, I'd check out the V3, which can do a reasonable approximation of the Legacy sound while also having a good clear rhythm sound. When I say 'approximation,' I'd say it can get closer to the Legacy than the Digitech RP series emulation does.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Reviews: 6

I really love my legacy. The dirty channel is very subtle and bluesy. So if you want some serious saturation you should think about a distortion pedal. I've found that the best way to dial in a really good tone on it is to put all the knobs at 12 and work from there. The best saturation is at about 7 for the dirty channel. At 10 it gets crazy and a little oversaturated for chords but it gets a nice lead tone. A lot of the guys here may not go for the dirty channel because they're the types who like the excessive gain super metal tone. For that you can run a decent distortion pedal thru the clean channel and get a great metal tone.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Isn't the Legacy III debuting at Winter NAMM?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 PM

I am almost sure I heard him say he was blending some Fender tone from a Fender combo this go round. It was on a gear review dvd that came with a guitar player mag. a few months back. He went over all the gear he was using now.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Welch View Post
I am almost sure I heard him say he was blending some Fender tone from a Fender combo this go round. It was on a gear review dvd that came with a guitar player mag. a few months back. He went over all the gear he was using now.
That is correct. I distinctly remember that as well. It might have been the Guitar World video where he showed the new Gemini pedal prototype.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Whoa that would be cool!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Not that I know anything, but I think it's wishful thinking. Why? Well, we all know how discerning Vai is, and it sounded like he was only just starting to tinker with the Carvin V3 before the North American leg of the current tour. Based off of the information we know, my best guess is that it's going to happen but it'll be winter NAMM 2009. Maybe summer NAMM 08 if we are lucky, but summer NAMM is not known for the debut of flagship products.

Again, I could totally be wrong.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM

I believe the Legacy III is the Legacy MkIII in that when they manufactoring the Legacy head it'll have a couple more speaker options on the back of the head.

there's a video somewhere on the net of him explaining his new rig with the legacy and the fender and such.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 AM

In that guitar world vid, Steve specifically states three channels.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
I honestly find the dirty channel to be mediocre at best. Without turning it up to a level that would be considered extreme, even for gigging, I couldn't get a remotely usable sound out of it. I know there are a quite a few people who agree with me as well.
The clean channel however, is honestly the best I have ever heard from an amp.
That's one reason why Satch > Vai when it came time to build their sig amps
The JSX sounds great at pretty much any volume. I run mine with a hot plate because it's that much better, but even with the master and channel volumes way down without the hotplate, it sounds pretty darn good. Plus it's 3 channels, which was important to me... ymmv.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Banned

If you like the Legacy tone, which is in my opinion very thick and midrangey. The JSX can get close to that. The thing about that kind of tone is. You better be playing spot on. You will be heard playing perfectlty, or you will be heard dropping notes. It does not sit in the mix. It stands out and says, Hey, listen to me! I had one, my friend had one. For unknown reasons, his was a bit more touch sensitve than mine. I usualy ran an eq in the loop, and an overdrive, NOT didatortion pedal in front of the head witht the head gain low enouch to match 38 Special type gain. The Legacy has the most 'explosive' clean I've heard.

Tags
distortion pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode