DS-1 on bypass - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

DS-1 on bypass

I just noticed that when my DS-1 is on bypass, my sounds (especially clean) sound worse than when I plug directly into my amp. Do other pedals do this? TS7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:42 PM

Yes, to some degree all pedals will affect your sound. The ones that will affect it to a lesser degree will be the true-bypass ones, and most of those are made by the botique guys. Some of them also offer mods to existing pedals for true bypass. Boss, Roland, Ibanez and such are not true bypass in their stock form.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:11 PM

If you break things down to the ultimate level, anything will effect your sound. The Air & space around your guitar.

But for practicality sake, youd be hard pressed to find a human being who can tell the difference between a strait signal and a signal running through a true bypass switch. Even Eric Johnson doesnt claim to be able to do that. Only A-B boxes with LED's. Real TB switches take the signal completely out of the circuitry when bypassed and only run the signal through the metal components of the switch itself. If you can tell that difference and dont like it, may I suggest wiring your pickup strait to the jack so you dont have to mess with those nasty sounding pots and switches in your guitar (sarcasm).

Like Glynn said you wont find a TB switch on just about 99% of production pedals. Boutique pedals are expensive but thier basically all that I, and many other people, will use. If it means that much to you theres some great products out there that have TB loops that you run to and from your non-TB pedal. In a sense they then become TB. Check out the Pedal-Racks Bypass Strip.

http://www.musictoyz.com/pedalracks.htm

Its a bunch of TB switches lined up one after the other that can switch in and out any thing you plug into it. You cant get much better then that without being completely impracticle.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 07:52 AM

One thing that will improve the fidelity of any of your FET-based switched pedals is the power supply voltage. As it goes down, so does the fidelity and output volume. I try to make sure my pedals are compatible with 9.6 to 9.8 volts and with that the circuitry is sounding pretty darn okay.
Those circuits are desgined to be buffers with little frequency shaping. It is possible to improve the response a tiny bit by replacing the caps around those sections. Sometimes it is also possible to increase the input resistance a bit for a "more 1-to-1" sound.
Important things to look at for the DIY guy are the first and last capacitors. Just moving to polyprop... will make a small but noticeable difference. Try www.digi-key.com for their Panasonic variety, they are very expensive, 3 times more than the Metal film!!! But again, worth it in my book.
I hope that helps.,
Robert

going to see CSN tonigh...I wonder if they'll have a DS-1 he, he, he
rk

Tags
eric johnson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode