Ds-1.........Hmmm, cant get anything out of it - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Ds-1.........Hmmm, cant get anything out of it

Hi there.
I got a DS-1 today (MIT), and i was expecting some smooth sounds.
But so far, i havnt found anything that i was hoping for. I seem to either get a really britle sound (loadsa tone) or, a deep mudy sound (not enough) and the sound, just dosnt cut it.

Now, maybe im expecting to much from it as its the MIT version, so is there actually that much difference between that and the MIJ?

Oh, and the keeley mod sounds interesting, but im using a stock RG570 and Marshall MG30w so, is a lot of teh ****ness of the sound comming from my crap amp and standard pups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Vendor

That's exactly what an MIT sounds like, crap. They're only good for modding
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

lol. So you recon having like a keeley mod on a MIT would be worthwhile? Or would it just be, a good mod, still on a crap pedal
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Vendor

After a week of A-B my Keeley MIT took it's spot in the chain. It "barely" won out over the MIJ.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. Might have to give the DS to Keeley then. Although i think anything would sound crap through this MG30. I really need to get a new amp as well :/
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 02:00 PM

Yeah, stock MIT = $hit

I used to own a MIJ so maybe it was too long a time in between to make a decent comparisson but I think my Keeley moded MIT sounds better. Definitly more gain.

I may be wrong but I thought I saw Keeley explain on his site that his mods to an MIJ or MIT would sound about the same anyway.

Quote:
lol. So you recon having like a keeley mod on a MIT would be worthwhile? Or would it just be, a good mod, still on a crap pedal
It could very well make absolute zero difference becouse the difference between a great sounding pedal and its crappy sounding reissue (upgrade, etc...) may be a few bad components. The difference between an origional TS9 (which I own) and a reissue is really only like 3 small things but its enouhp to make it sound alot less smooth. I used an NOS mod kit to mod my TS9 RI to 808 specs and now I cant tell the difference. Keeleys mod changes MANY components so whether your starting with an MIT or MIJ may not make a difference. It may, but just as easily may not.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Might have to give the DS to Keeley then. Although i think anything would sound crap through this MG30. I really need to get a new amp as well :/
Thats always a good idea too
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 02:40 PM

whats MIT, whats MIJ???
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 02:49 PM

MIT= Made in Taiwan
MIJ= Made in Japan
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:00 PM

The DS-1 is not for everybody. I've had MIT, MIJ, and Keely Ultra...could get usable sounds out of all, but not my cup of tea.

My faves (and I've had quite a few) are the old Marshall Shredmaster and recently acquired ToneBone Hot British, but my Budda Superdrive 30 dirty channel is even better!
Greg
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:33 PM

how to find out, where my ds1 is built?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:37 PM

I have a Keeley modded DS-1 and even though I rarely use it I must admit it's much jucier sounding than MIT DS1. Having said that, I've heard Joe Satriani uses MIT DS1 in his rig.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Vendor

Look at the bottom.

Joe only uses MIJ.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 06:52 PM

my's MIT i should have known....whats the difference between?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:30 PM

Well, one is made in Taiwan and the other one is made in Japan, Phienix.

Tags
amp distortion , bass response , bridge pickup , chorus pedal , distortion pedal , fender twin , joe satriani , keeley mod , paf pro , rack space , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode