ds1 vs. MXR Distortion + - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

ds1 vs. MXR Distortion +

Hey guys... I'm looking for a distortion stompbox with articulation and more sustain. I'm going for a very smooth, liquid, high gain tone. My playing styles are very varied so I need one that is versatile. I play blues all the way to hard rock. I am curretnly using a S-S-S pickup configuration so I feel that I need the distortion box to increase the distortion some more!

I've narrowed my search down to either the Boss DS1 of the MXS Distortion+. Which do you think I should get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:23 PM
rgr

Re: ds1 vs. MXR Distortion +

Boss SD-1, prefereably made in Japan, a MIJ DS-1 would also be nice. The Dunlop Zakk Wylde is also cool. I don't think the Distortion + is what you are looking for. You do need to try them all out though.

Roger
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:01 AM

if your looking for smooth distortion for lead tones, I recommend getting an Ibanez TS808 reissue or the original for your booster, I owned the Boss SD-1 (taiwanese version), its got tons of gain compared to the TS808 but its not as smooth, its defintely an expensive pedal but its worth it, also the stock distortion+ and DS-1 sounds harsh to my ears
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 AM

it will make a big difference what amp you're using as to what kind of tone you'll get with a stompbox. i used the DS-1 and a Tube Screamer (for smooth lead boost) with an Ampeg JetII and it sounded great. i tried it with a 5150 head and the pedals also sounded great - very marshallesque. i am using a Fender Deluxe Reverb mostly and that pedal combo didn't sound right at all. i'm using a Tri O.D. and a Hot British Tone Bone to achieve any and all my gain needs. they are pricey but well worth it IMHO.
my point is to actually try different pedals. if you can, bring your guitar and amp to a store and try out the pedals with your stuff so there are NO suprises on what you are getting. i have a box full of dist. pedals (Pro Co Rat, MXR, DS-1, MT-2, TS80 and keep them around in case of failures or if i change amps and need something different.
i do have both pedals and honestly NEVER used my Dist + pedal for any gigs. it had a cool Angus Young tone thru solid state amps but sounded crappy thru tube amps which are what i mainly use.
it is a process so be patient and turn as many different knobs as you can until you find what you are looking for.
good luck.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:05 AM

Sd-1 is smooth and the ds-1 is more shaping the tone..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:52 PM

^^ Pretty much. The DS-1 CAN be smooth if you use it right, but a TS-9 or the smoother SD-1 will be smoother as they are less tone shaping. Remember the best smooth comes from tubes

Advantage of the DS-1 is you can use it to add gain for practicing!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 6

DS-1 is great, you have the tone knob more or less to the left and you get a real smooth tone.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but all of you chaining a TS-9 into anything should check out the BOSS OD-3 as an alternative/upgrade. I have one and I love using it as a boost. It's very much like a TS-9, but it doesn't cut your bottom end. The thing has enough drive on it to be used as a stand alone pedal as well (for blues or alt). It also sounds cool chaining a TS-9 -> OD-3.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:53 PM

I have to say the ds-1 is better but try looking for the japanese made instead of the taiwanese made .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
DS-1 is great, you have the tone knob more or less to the left and you get a real smooth tone.
Exactly!! I use my tone from 10 oclock to all the way down, depending on what amp I am running it through!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 PM

ya I heard the DS-1 is just a classic pedal....can't go wrong with a classic pedal
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 05:51 AM

Some kind of pickup booster would work as well and keep your tone more original. I personally use some carl martin pedal for boosting my strat. For my Jem and Jpm I use a DS-1 to get a little boost and more overtones.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Cool Re: ds1 vs. MXR Distortion +

well i have a boss and its and so does my friend really either of them is fine mxr is more death metal and boss is more just metal but both have hi quality!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:49 PM

No one has mentioned the Digitech Distortion Factory which I bought a couple days ago, and so far I'm very pleased.

Tags
angus young , death metal , fender deluxe , fender deluxe reverb , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , tube amps , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode