DSL owners: what kind of music do you use the DSL for? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

DSL owners: what kind of music do you use the DSL for?

title says it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 11:43 PM

I use my DSL 50 for EVERYTHING

My friend had his mesa boogie rectoverb head stolen, and is using mine until he gets a replacement...he plays proggesive thrash/hardcore metal, and loves the head. It sounds really brutal for the metal stuff.

I play in a group that goes anywhere from hard, high energy rock to mellower stuff, jazz, funk, ect. The head works great for that too. Very nice tones from both chans.

I am moving to a Hughes and Kettner Triamp when i get the funds for many reasons, but I would say that I feel comfortable playing most anything with the DSL.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 01:46 PM

The DSL is great. I use it for all styles. My TSL100 is my main head. But I find the DSL is a bit warmer, though, at times. As simple as it is-it's surprisingly flexible.

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
The DSL is great. I use it for all styles. My TSL100 is my main head. But I find the DSL is a bit warmer, though, at times. As simple as it is-it's surprisingly flexible.

Mike 777 Haug

do you play a 7stringer? I have ordered the 1077 and am curious whether the amp's sound is good on the low B
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 01:23 PM

Yes, I own one UV. I think it sounds great on all my settings. A tube stack or 1/2-stack setup really fills out that bottom end. It's a beautiful thing.

Mike 777 Haug
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I own one UV. I think it sounds great on all my settings. A tube stack or 1/2-stack setup really fills out that bottom end. It's a beautiful thing.

Mike 777 Haug
great!
now I can't wait even more for the axe to come

edit: do you have any clips of your uv and a dsl?
one more thing. what are your settings (if you don't mind telling) on the amp?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 01:38 PM

Lately I've been playing with more midrange than the completely-scooped sound I used when I was younger; and on top of that, my tubes are in need of a change soon so I've been cranking everything except I tuck the presence back a bit. I've also been using the "Lead 1" setting on the OD channel recently. It really boils down to the fact that I experiment with tone a lot. I have a favorite range of settings I tend to gravitate to but I change things based on what I think is right for what I'm (musically)working on at the time. I run the amp at 4Ohms.

What's cool about that amp and the TSL, too, is that they get really heavy sounding but the notes are crystal clear. So, when I've been lax in my practice time and I think I suck-I suck louder since it's not muddy and I can't hide behind it! That means it's tonally designed properly.

I'm way behind on my computer access (which is no secret among the other veteran posters on this site) so I have no pics or means to upload. I've been posting on my lunch hour at work and my fiancee has no scanner but I will be taking pics in the near future, though. I've been seeing everyone else's awesome pics and I wanna be a part of that, too. Thanks for your interest, though.

Mike 777 Haug
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 06:29 PM

Quote:
What's cool about that amp and the TSL, too, is that they get really heavy sounding but the notes are crystal clear. So, when I've been lax in my practice time and I think I suck-I suck louder since it's not muddy and I can't hide behind it! That means it's tonally designed properly.
OOOOOOOH yes. This is why i wasn't completely floored by the TSL the first time i played it: I've been using a mesa combo for a long time now, and it's a REALLY forgiving amp because it's distortion is so thick and compressed. You can be sloppier on the thing than a TSL, and while it won't sound AMAZING, you'll at least sound competent. On the TSL, if your articulation isn't dead on, then you'll hear it. I found that this made me crank the gain up to the limit to get the sponginess my poor technique required, but doing so made it "fuzzier" than i wanted, so i'd have to cut the treble and prescense, but that didn't quite fix the problem and the tone didn't cut as well... etc.

So, i spent some time woodshedding between the first time i plugged into one and the second, working on getting my legato technique up to speed by practicing unplugged and really fosusing on getting perfectly clear note articulation, and while i still suck, it sounded a lot better the next time i plugged into one of these things- my playing was cleaner so i could back off the gain a bit to get the tone i was going for without hearing all these little mistakes. I'm still far from perfect, but when i get one of these things (sending out the remainder of the check to vwall monday ) I won't sound like absolute crap through it, and a few months from now...

Yeah, it's not necessarily "user friendly" in this regard, but sloppy technique is still sloppy technique, you know?

-Drew
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew

...I've been using a mesa combo for a long time now, and it's a REALLY forgiving amp because it's distortion is so thick and compressed. You can be sloppier on the thing than a TSL, and while it won't sound AMAZING, you'll at least sound competent...
that's why you see all these young bands with rectos j/k the thing is as you say if you have a sloppy technique, on a mesa it won't be audible that much. on the other hand, on my DSL.....I get SO frustrated with these little notes escaping here and there

you know what only worries me about the sound? when I palm mute, I don't get a full chunking sound - I don't have a full bodied guitar (but rather a korean laminate, if that's the expression) - maybe this could be the reason?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 05:05 AM

DSL

This is THE best Marshall I have ever owned and I have owned a lot:

1974 - 1987 Plexi Head (metal panel but essentially the same).
JCM800 100 watt 2210
JCM900SL-X
Rack stuff

It is very pure and very very versatile, I never use Lead 2 as it too muddy but Lead 1 allows you to make all the changes from the guitar.

Also owned:
Peavey 5150
Boogie DC-5
Rivera Rake Reverb (about to sell it)

Couple Lead 1 with a O/D box and you have everything from Yngwie to Van Halen to Vai to Satch to Schon - ITS A BEAUTY!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 10:02 PM

403- what are you using for pickups? Just wondering...

And actually, the "modern" mode on the Recto is less forgiving than the "Vintage," IMO... but you don't hear any of them soloing, now do you?

-Drew
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
OOOOOOOH yes. This is why i wasn't completely floored by the TSL the first time i played it: I've been using a mesa combo for a long time now, and it's a REALLY forgiving amp because it's distortion is so thick and compressed. You can be sloppier on the thing than a TSL, and while it won't sound AMAZING, you'll at least sound competent. On the TSL, if your articulation isn't dead on, then you'll hear it. I found that this made me crank the gain up to the limit to get the sponginess my poor technique required, but doing so made it "fuzzier" than i wanted, so i'd have to cut the treble and prescense, but that didn't quite fix the problem and the tone didn't cut as well... etc.

So, i spent some time woodshedding between the first time i plugged into one and the second, working on getting my legato technique up to speed by practicing unplugged and really fosusing on getting perfectly clear note articulation, and while i still suck, it sounded a lot better the next time i plugged into one of these things- my playing was cleaner so i could back off the gain a bit to get the tone i was going for without hearing all these little mistakes. I'm still far from perfect, but when i get one of these things (sending out the remainder of the check to vwall monday ) I won't sound like absolute crap through it, and a few months from now...

Yeah, it's not necessarily "user friendly" in this regard, but sloppy technique is still sloppy technique, you know?

-Drew
Which is why I loved the tsl. A few hours of playing it and your playing smooths out and your tone is definitely more well rounded. If I had to go to hell with one head, the tsl would be it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
403- what are you using for pickups? Just wondering...

And actually, the "modern" mode on the Recto is less forgiving than the "Vintage," IMO... but you don't hear any of them soloing, now do you?

-Drew
my guitar still has stock jackson pickups on it (korean jackson that is)
-> not very hot pickups
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 12:35 AM

Well, I was thinking single-coul vs. humbuckers...

That super-deep "chunk" sound really is more of a mesa thing, though... you can get something similar out of a marshall, but the territory i really percieve them excelling in would be more of a satriani "Summer Song" sorta crunch. Idunno, set the gain sorta 2-3 o'clock-ish and the bass pretty high and see what happens... I can't remember if the DSL has the deep switch or not, but that might help too...

Course, these are just rough impressions... After i get my TSL next week, i'll send you actual srttings.

-Drew
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

oh that

2 singles, 1 hum (through which I play the palm muting and all distorted sounds)

how about listing some bands that use the DSL?

Tags
kettner triamp , legato technique , marshall amp , mesa amps , mesa boogie , palm mute , palm muting , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode