Dunlop strap lok - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Dunlop strap lok

I know there are 2 versions of this strap lok. One that is a circle and one that looks like a guitar pick. Which ones of these is the best? It looks like they might lock differently? Is one more sturdy than the other? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM

Re: Dunlop strap lok

The only difference is one is a little narrower and the other is more like a traditional size strap button with a wider end. They both work the same and both work well. I use both on most of my guitars.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Get a DiMarzio strap lock - those are the only one's I would trust with my guitars....

I'm just sayin.....

-jemaholic
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Reviews: 65

Schaller secure locks are preferred to the Dunlop, as they do not wear out over time and they are totally reliable.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 18

+1 on the schallers....

Jimmy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Get a DiMarzio strap lock - those are the only one's I would trust with my guitars....

I'm just sayin.....

-jemaholic
and they come in cool colours
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 18

So do regular straps

Jimmy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
+1 on the schallers....

Jimmy
+10
i put these in ALL my guitars
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
+10
+100 me too. Cept my J Custom

I had a DiMarzio and I couldn't stand the plastic hitting the body on my axe. Felt like some sort of fanny pack dohicky on my strap. Blah!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
+10
ditto.

well, all the ones that don't have clip locks.

rich
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 AM

Iposted this in another thread... http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68007
{---
In my opinion the best locking straps are the LM Surelock straps

They even have just the end bits available for fitting to your favorite strap

The normal guitar strap button goes through the plastic keyhole shaped hole and sits at the bottom. The popper fastens over the front preventing the strap button from lifting up and out of the hole.
The work really well! I have both the whole straps and the end fittings on normal straps and have had no problems. I use them on all my guitars.
You don't have to remove the strap buttons and you can easily take the strap off after a gig.
They should be easier to get hold of in the states than the UK as well!
Jim
---}
Jim
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 AM

I like the look and feel of the clip lock straps but they have chipped the finish on some of my guitars.

I have read about a way to keep that from happening but haven't tried it yet.

I personally have never had an issues with the Dunlop locks and don't care for the schallers - i just don't like the ball end sticking out from the lock.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I was origionally going to get a dimarzio cliplock, but after realizing how garbage they are I decide to find an alternate route.... they look sick so I wish they were half decent. There are way to many drawbacks, I dont want to mod out my screw hole because my stock screw dont work with it, and because the screws they give you are to small... makes absolutely no sense to me. so it seems the solutions people have are to drill out the washer on the strap to be a bigger hole, or they put a toothpick and glue into the strap hole and screw it in... i'm not doing either of those to my gear... also the straplock scratches you guitar.

anyways, also I was not talking about the dimarzio lock you are think of, Im talking about these thingies...
http://web2.moridaira.com/dunlop/Straplok.gif

http://www.guitar.co.uk/documents/994/994-large.jpg

and I was wondering which shape worked best?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

bumpppp
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
I dont want to mod out my screw hole because my stock screw dont work with it, and because the screws they give you are to small... makes absolutely no sense to me. so it seems the solutions people have are to drill out the washer on the strap to be a bigger hole, or they put a toothpick and glue into the strap hole and screw it in... i'm not doing either of those to my gear.
What you're reading of others putting toothpicks in the screw hole on the guitar body or filling and re-drilling is absolutely not necessary.

If you get the Schaller strap locks and the screw supplied is too small..... the thing to do is drill out the fitting for the body (fitting shown in the lower right of photo) to accommodate the original size screw that came with the guitar.

If you decide to remove them, nothing on the guitar has been modified. As far as the modified fitting..... these are designed to self-center when the screw is tightened down anyway. So pretty much any size oval head wood screw will work within reason. It can be used again with the original screw supplied or now that it's slightly modified..... with most other original strap button screws on many guitar brands.

I've done this several times and it has never affected the performance of the body fitting. It takes a few seconds to do and once everything is tightened properly it'll stay in place. I use them on Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez, Washburn, G&L, PRS, B C Rich.... and never had a failure.

P.S. DiMarzio makes great pickups no doubt, but straps and strap lock systems...... not so much! If you don't mind being limited to just one type guitar strap and a couple of tacky color selections. Or, possibly scratching up your guitar because you've got this "extra tail" hanging around all the time...... follow the rest of the sheep and get the DiMarzio junk. Nothing looks worse than opening up a guitar case of a beautiful instrument and seeing this extra piece of "seatbelt" material and plastic or metal fitting hanging around!

Last edited by jemplayer55; 12-03-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Tags
clip lock strap , clip lock straps , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio strap , guitar body , schaller strap locks , strap button , strap buttons , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode